02 October 2020

I'll Bet Boring Times Look Pretty Good to You Now


 Ah yes.  How many of us have said at one time or another, "I'm bored.  I wish something interesting would happen?"  

I've often said it myself.  Or wished life was more exciting, fun, active, whatever.  Because no one likes to be bored or uninteresting.  A lot of people need to be entertained because they are not comfortable just being with themselves.

But I have learned - the really really hard way - that it's one of those "be careful what you wish for scenarios."  At least in my case, the *something* I've wished would happen has seldom turned out to be fun, happy, or exciting.  I have learned to accept that a dull everyday life can be a gift.

In the last few years, I think that a lot of us can say that we have thought of the above curse several times a day even, as events here and at home have evolved.  "Interesting times" have turned out to be exhausting, no?  

Something interesting about this curse is that no one has ever been able to find an equivalent expression *in* Chinese.  The closest one states: Better to be a dog in times of tranquility than a human in times of chaos.

Regardless, my wish for you is that you have a lovely and uninteresting weekend, and feel the comfort of a dog during times of tranquility.  Take care.

6 comments:

Araignee said...

I think I have whiplash trying to keep up with the news last night. Daughter's friend is the White House floral decorator who is in charge of the Christmas decor. We had to laugh at the rude comments that were released. No surprise there. Once these inside people can talk there will be stories to tell. I can't wait.

Dee said...

I love my quiet, un-interesting to anyone but myself, life.

On the other hand, I don't find all the chaos going on right now "interesting". I find it disturbing, annoying, childish, reckless....

Interesting times would be finding a cure for cancer, a new symphony that changed the world of music, people being applauded for their brain power instead of their antics (looking at YOU Kardashian's), people having salons again instead of beer bashes. Interesting could mean something so much better than what the curse seems to imply.

So have the GOOD kind of interesting weekend. LOL

Nance said...

I can't say it any better than Dee. She wins the Comments.

I'm looking forward to having a quiet weekend and getting back to Knitting--YAY!

Ellen D. said...

Just when we think that 2020 can't get any crazier - it does!
Wishing peace and good health to all!

Minerva said...

Reminds me of when I was a little girl and my grandfather was visiting. He looked out our front bay window and pronounced that nothing happens around here. An hour later, the fire trucks went screaming up the street to put out a fire which eventually burned down a house in our neighborhood (thankfully, no one was hurt). My mother told him that he needed to choose his words wisely from then on!

karen said...

I cannot wait for the day for the news to be boring! I am hardly ever bored these days, I feel I am busier than ever and time moves much to quickly.