29 October 2020

In Which I Share Two Odd Things, and One You Sadly Cannot Have

First of all, thank you for the anniversary wishes after yesterday's post!  We had a very nice, veryveryvery low-key day, and it seemed like a long day in the best way possible.

Today I have decided that I will participate in Three on Thursday, because I have had these items in my brain for about a week, and thought you might get a charge out of them (or at least two of them which are admittedly very odd).

Three Things We Have In Our House That You Are Unlikely to Have In Yours

1.  An envelope tucked into your physical, printed photo albums that is marked "Spare Heads."  Years ago, before digital photographs, we would find on occasion that when we went to include photos in our albums, there would be people we no longer really liked or had not heard from for years.  The solution?  Replace their heads in the photos!  This was when we had subscriptions to print magazines and to the one of the all-time best sources for Spare Heads, the TV Guide!  We would carefully cut out the heads of celebs and replace them onto the photos.  So it is not unusual to see photos of a dinner party attended by Omar Sharif and Charo, or Luciano Pavarotti with spaghetti coming out of his mouth on a picnic with us.  At the time, we were finding that often we needed a Spare Head and didn't have one at the that moment, hence the envelope.  Why get rid of it now?  

2.  Three accordions (not the ones below, this is a random Pinterest image).


You may wonder, WTF with not one, not two, but THREE accordions???  Well, when The Tim was a kid and his parents asked him what musical instrument he would like to take lessons in, he chose the accordion.  As one does [not].  Anyway, he has his original childhood accordion, one he used when he was in high school, and one we bought on a trip to Canada!  (Border agent: "Do you have any purchases to declare?"  The Tim: "One accordion, here is the receipt."  Border agent:  "Never mind, just go through.")  The cats HATE accordion music, and I must say that until you have heard "Yesterday" by the Beatles played on the accordion, you have not lived.

Oh I forgot - we also have a concertina as well.  The cats don't mind that as much, but they are still less than pleased about it.

3.  My Slothmas bag and yarn, that I bought a couple of years ago.


This was a collaboration between Carie, of the Creative Obsession podcast, who used to dye and sell yarn, and Bags by Awesome Grannie on Etsy.  I love sloths, and loved the idea of the collaboration, so I bought one. I have decided that since I got to pet Lulu the baby sloth a bit ago, and now she is on to the next museum where that exhibit will be, this would be my Christmastime project this year.  Sadly, this was a one-off, as Carie no longer dyes yarn other than for her own purposes, and the bags were only made to be part of this set.  (Only one skein of sock yarn came with the kit - this photo just gives you an idea of the colors in the yarn.)

Look around your own house - I'm sure you can find some goodies you'd like to share in the spirit of this post. Or maybe not, if peer pressure is a thing for you ... 😄

10 comments:

KSD said...

A high school band has accordions? Who knew?

LOVE SPARE HEADS.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I laughed at the accordions... at one time we had three electric tube organs in the house. Dave collects and repairs tube amps, so someone offered him an organ, since he plays piano as well, he said yes. Next thing you know, he had a couple more... I was like WTF??? I told him he could keep one if he was actually going to play it (he mostly plays his electric piano with headphones on so he doesn't disturb the neighbours.)
He stripped two for parts and the tubes (which are expensive) and scrapped them (they were in rough shape). He kept the last one for a while, but got tired of trying to find a space for it and eventually it got a new home somewhere.

Nance said...

Spare Heads For The Win! You are my people.

IF Tim keeps the accordioning to a minimum. (Probably "Eleanor Rigby" would be...okay.)

Kim in Oregon said...

If I would have had any of these it would be the slothmas bag.

Your spare heads story reminded me of growing up. Both my mom and my mom's only brother got divorced. My grandmother went through the photo albums (this is early 1960s) and cut the heads off of the former spouses. So I have inherited photo albums with weirdly cropped photos of headless people holding birthday cakes.

Araignee said...

Your headless photos reminded me of my sister at her son's wedding a few years ago. She was beside herself that Dad had asked his little lady friend to be in the family photos. She fumed about it for the whole reception and then paid someone to photoshop her out of all the photos. I wish I had of thought of your solution. I could have made a few of them up and gave them to her for her birthday-for a laugh. She would NOT have thought it was funny but I sure would have.
My whole house is full of weird things that none of my fiber friends would consider odd but when a "regular" person comes in I always have to explain the three spinning wheels and the loom in the living room.
Makes sense to me.

Meditations in Motion said...

I definitely think you should post a video of your husband playing the accordion. I would love to hear the accordion version of Yesterday! :)

Dee said...

Wow! You got me beat with #1 and #2 and #3 --- just gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you make with the yarn.

And if we do get together some day with Vera ..........watch your bag. She has a thing for sloths! LOL

Okay --- weirdest thing in my house would probably be...................
Creepy Cranky Christmas Guy (who has since lost his hat and will simply be known as Creepy Cranky Guy) and his CAT! Yes, Creepy HAS.A.CAT. His OWN cat. Not MY cat.

Martha said...

Love it! I never would have though about the spare heads thing. I do have lots of old photos where I cut people out. Now I'm sorry I didn't just replace their heads, that would have been much more fun!

karen said...

I love your project bag and of course the yarns. I have many family members that play the accordion!

Helen said...

Ah yes, accordians...my father did not play but almost everyone else in his family seemed to have. One summer (I was home during summer break) and we (dad, mom and I) went up to their trailer in Wisconsin and it was a summer where his school (rural 1-8) was having a reunion also his brother was in a parade as a shriner and seems like one more event (all in about 4 days time). Oh, my, God. His brother other pulled out his accordian at the school function, then again at the half-brother's function, and somewhere else (some parade where my uncle and friend were playing a tavern). I ended up as designated driver multiple times and in the rain as I was driving us 'home' all I could hear in time to the wipers was accordian music.