21 December 2020

This Past Weekend Was Just ... A Lot

Don't get too worried, because 99% of it was a lot of good stuff - it's the 1% of stuff that still has my brain fried.

Let's just get that out of the way.  It's related to behaviors during the virus, a popular topic for all of us that so many of us can still just not understand. 

A couple of weeks ago, Philadelphia again shut down all indoor dining and placed restrictions on outdoor dining - only 4 or fewer people at tables.  Because you know, thanks to those who can't be bothered, and/or who just HAD to travel at Thanksgiving, cases were up.  So Saturday afternoon when Hamlet and I were out for a walk, we passed a neighborhood place that was jam-packed inside with people partying.  Later in the day, when The Tim took Hamlet out, the place across the street from the place I saw was doing the same thing.  JUST. STOP.

Then yesterday I talked to one of my sisters, and as you know, I love my family dearly, and really I don't want anything terrible to happen to any of them, but I truly believe that unless they experience a tragedy, they will not take this as seriously as they should.  So many of them talk a good game, and then do what they want.

JUST. STOP.

UGGGGHHHHHHHH.

**********

Moving on to the good (thank you for hanging in, it felt good to get that off my chest, so to speak).

We finished our tree decorating, and the last touches of decorating for Christmas in our house, which was so much fun!  We are usually finished sooner, but The Tim had one of his quick sudden projects to finish which held things up.  I finished with my cleaning, and everything looks so happy and so festive!  I think it's funny how people are saying they are not putting up any decorations, since "no one can come to see them."  We always decorate, and we are always the only ones who see them - silly me, I thought you did all of it for your own enjoyment ...

I managed to come out of the weekend with a HO (Half-finished Object):


After making a few pairs of slipper socks for The Tim, I decided I needed a pair for myself, so now I have one down, and one to go.  The second slipper sock is underway as of yesterday.  

And how about that project bag?  I love it so much.  I ordered it from the One More Day Foundation, when they had a few bags of several designs that they were selling as a fundraiser.  (I wish I could have bought each design, but of course, buying one was already being extravagant, so I behaved myself.)  I just think the design is so festive and sweet in the best way possible.  And the work of the Foundation is more than admirable, if you ask me.

Finally, let me share Days 13 through 18 of my yarny Advent calendar with you - I think these were some of my favorites so far:


Aren't they purty??  You can't really tell due to my photography skills or lack thereof, but in the upper right and lower middle, the packages included a coffee cup, and a Santa hat charm/progress keeper.  I love these so much, and I have a feeling that I'll wear these on the bracelet enclosed in Day 1 with the others every day during the holidays next year and beyond!  Honestly, I'm feeling a bit sad that after this week, I won't have a little package to open each day.  It's been such a fun thing to do, and no matter what else has been happening on any given day, I've been able to look forward to a surprise.  😀

Today of course is the Winter Solstice, the first day of Winter here in the Northern Hemisphere.  I love this day.  I love the images that go along with it, I love that Winter is officially here, and coziness gets serious.  

Happy Solstice Week and holiday week - let's try our best to make it a good one!

12 comments:

karen said...

I live in the middle of nowhere so I never see gatherings. Phew! I love the yarns in your advent calendar, so pretty and inspiring.

Nance said...

I do like that project bag! The reindeer especially has a quite contemplative face.

Rick also decided on a last minute project--YESTERDAY--to go to his basement workshop and make wine barrel stave candle holders for each of our sons and their girlfriends as a final Christmas gift. Which is, of course, wonderful and lovely.

HOWEVER.

Did I not do every single bit of all the shopping for every single person (all *7* of them) BY MYSELF with zero help from him in any way already? Yes. And whose gift will now get all the oohs and aahs and sentimental tears because he made it JUST FOR THEM? GRRR.

---Grinch mode off----

I appreciate so much the profound joy you take in Christmas and all its attendant rituals and trimmings. Just once, I would love to spend Christmastime with you. I think it would be renewing.

Meredith MC said...

Those continuing as if we aren’t in a pandemic remind me to say the serenity prayer- frequently. In Oregon people are mostly compliant but there are a few places that are ignoring the shut down orders. I can only control my actions, but it does make me wonder about their thought process (or lack thereof).
Wishing you a peaceful solstice.

Dee said...

Rejoice! It's hygge time!

KSD said...

Wow, what a gorgeous print/painting/lithograph/I'm out of synonyms!

Don't get me started on Idiocy. This is a town with thousands of reckless college students next to a county with Deniers. UGH indeed.

Araignee said...

We are under travel restrictions here and Daughter has been calling and complaining about all her students who are going all over the country this Christmas and then expect to book her for lessons when they get back. MD requires a 10 day quarantine or a negative test if you travel out of state and folks are acting like they can just ignore it. People are just crazy.

Kim in Oregon said...

I love the deer image at the end of your post!

Oh I hear you. Yesterday (Sunday) I popped in our little post office (we don't get delivery here, we have to go into the PO) and attached to the PO is some type of church. Well, church is allowed here but only at 25% capacity of the room. The door to the church was open and it was a. half full and b. I didn't see a single mask. Now in our little town that means there were maybe 25 or 30 people in there, but inside? No mask? What are you thinking people?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Our area went back into full lockdown today because people are just not getting it. Sadly, I think a lot more people have to get sick (and many more die) before enough people take it seriously. It's so frustrating. (Let's not even talk about the conspiracy theorists!)

I'm loving all your advent yarns!

Alison said...

We are so lucky here in NZ - it's life as normal or pretty much. We have all had Christmas functions, neighbourhood get togethers and planning on big dinners for Christmas. Our government was very proactive early on and closed the borders to all but returning kiwis (who must quarantine for 2 weeks) and essential workers. All our Covid cases are in managed isolation - I think there are about 20. We have a QR code app with bluetooth and we just scan it wherever we go. I will never take health security for granted again, and count my blessings every day. Here's hoping the US will turn the corner soon.

AsKatKnits said...

It's much the same here in the 'Burgh... and I am with you on being so over all the stupidity. I have had the added pleasure of watching all sorts of "gatherings" in homes in my neighborhood. (And Allegheny County is counting about 1k new cases per day, with our hospitals at the verge of capacity) I am with you on now wanting a bad thing to happen, but not minding if it did.

Your sock yarn is truly the brightest spot this season! What lovely colors!

steph said...

I totally get what you're saying....and the inevitable has happened in my world. My daughter and oldest grandson have both tested positive. Grandson lost his sense of taste. Daughter not a single symptom...at least yet. They are both staying 'quarantined' (at least their version of it) their designated amount of time, which is hard for these two very very social people (which is undoubtedly why they got it in the first place). Grandson probably got it at baseball practice...daughter, either from him or the teachers in the school where she works. They've all kept their distance from us...they know themselves.
I dropped off some cookies on their porch yesterday and daughter said (through her mask) that Justin was out joggin the neighborhood....so I drove around until I found him and waved. He was the only one on the street.
I read Alison's comment above and wonder if this crazy American mindset could ever be compliant like the Kiwis? Vaccine or not, we have a long long long way before we see anything close to 'normal'.

Mereknits said...

Florida is a perfect example of what not to do during a pandemic, and if you speak out as a scientist we are going to raid your house and point guns at your kids. I still go to homes where they do not take this seriously, I mask up when I am there and sanitize everything but still it is so disheartening because people who are careful are getting sick thanks to these idiots. Glad there was good in there with all the stupidity. Stay safe.