24 December 2020

"Until Then, We'll Have to Muddle Through Somehow"

Happy Christmas Eve!  One of my favorite days, filled with joy, anticipation, bustling around (though granted, this year, the "bustling" is at home), and thinking of those you love, both here and otherwise.  I am writing this post not just for myself, but also as the final entry in sprite's 2020 Virtual Advent Tour.


Whenever I hear the Christmas song, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," I think of two things: 1) the movie "Meet Me in St. Louis," where the song debuted, and 2) those I love, both here and gone.  I think it is one of the most bittersweet songs, period, whether or not it is Christmastime.

I don't know if you have seen the movie, but one of the main aspects of the plot is that a family has learned that they will be moving from their St. Louis home shortly before the 1904 World's Fair that will be held in St. Louis.  This sends various members of the family into a tailspin for several different reasons.  One of the family members (played by Judy Garland) sings the song to her younger sister (played by Margaret O'Brien).  The part that *always* gets me are these lines:

"Through the years, we all will be together,
If the fates allow.
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow.
So, have yourself a merry little Christmas, now."

THIS.  None of us is guaranteed another Christmas.  *Every* Christmas is, unfortunately, someone's last one.  And that always hurts.  In my family, both of my parents were people who loved this holiday, especially my father.  Through many years of slim finances, questionable living conditions, and uncertain futures, Christmas was still special.  They have not been here to celebrate for a while, but nothing can take my memories away.  

More importantly, what and who is here today, right now, is what is important.  If you are reading this, you are here.  You may be missing someone, but you are here, and this is Christmas Eve.  Even if you are by yourself, you are here and you can love, and feel, and enjoy, whether or not anyone else is around.

People always say, "If I'd only known ... " Well, none of us knows.  We have right now, that is all that is certain.  It's Christmas Eve, maybe not like before, definitely not lilke ever again.  If you are feeling sad, I wish you joy again soon.  If you are feeling lonely, I hope you know you are loved.  If you are thinking it's all ruined because you can't do what you usually do, you are sorely mistaken.  Don't feel sorry for yourself.  Be glad that those you love are doing OK, and that to some extent, it's because of you and your actions.  

Muddle through.  Have a very merry, happy, loving Christmas.  Because in the end, it's your decision how you want this to be, and how you want to remember Christmas 2020.  Make it a memory of love, and one where you may have been inconvenienced, but in the end it was all OK.

That's all we can do.  It's all we should do.  

I hope you can move beyond your own self and your own feelings to enjoy what is happening and what you are doing for those you love.

So have yourself a merry little Christmas, now.

11 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wise advice! Happy holidays!

Nance said...

Oh, Bridget! ...in the end, it's your decision how you want this to be, and how you want to remember Christmas 2020. Make it a memory of love.

THIS.

What a wonderful, wise, and poignant post. The whole thing. Bravo!

Merry Christmas to you and your happy, sweet, cuddly family.

And thank you.

Dee said...

That picture at the end is everything I needed to make the day cheery.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas.

Ellen D. said...

Such an inspiring, heartfelt post! Thanks for your sweet words and hope you have an enjoyable Christmas too!

Araignee said...

My beloved Mimi (my grandmother) died on Christmas morning while we were all getting ready to go visit her in the hospital where she was being treated for a stroke. I couldn't listen to that song for ages without tearing up. It really captured everything I was feeling that year. I had three little children at home expecting a Merry Christmas so I had to "muddle through somehow". My mother was ill so I had to handle all the arrangements. It was so hard and to make it even more cruel-it was a rare White Christmas.

Alison said...

Thank you.....and blessings to you and yours. It's a beautiful warm day here in Rotorua, NZ. After we walk our rescue dog Harry in the nearby forest we will have a pancake breakfast, and then we are sharing Christmas dinner with our neighbours and friends, so pleased to be included.

It's all about the people, and the memories, and the now.

Mereknits said...

Wonderful post today Bridget. Thank you for the gift of it. Merry Christmas.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Merry Christmas!
Meet me in St. Louis is one of my faves. I love Judy!

AsKatKnits said...

Beautifully said! Thank you for the backstory on the song and the movie!

Jo Kay said...

Thank you for such a nice message on this day! And I like the 'we'll muddle through' part of the song, because muddling through is sometimes the best we can do and that's the best we can do.

If I may add some of my own wisdom, I think for many people it's also hard because there's this expectation that we 'must' be happy (and in what way) for Christmas which makes things even worse when they aren't good to begin with. It's okay not to be overjoyed or not to do things that are expected of you, it's okay to just muddle through. Any maybe one day, there will yet again be more to it. :)

Caffeine Girl said...

I'm with you. There is no reason not to enjoy the holidays this year.