14 November 2015

Yes, Wind the Clock

I don't need to remind anyone reading this of the tragedy in Paris last night.  Or the one previously in Beirut.  Or the ones that have caused so many Syrians to become refuguees.  Or any of the other things that have happened all too often and make us wonder what is going on in the world.

Evil has reared its ugly head.  Hand wringing, second-guessing, and who is to blame are the orders of the day.

None of us should have to live through these horrors, much less hear about them.  I read a quote the other day, "Someone is praying for what you take for granted.  Appreciate what you have."

Let's all keep a thought and a prayer for the victims of this violence, and the other senseless violence in the world.  Let's remember to rally.  Let's make a difference where we are, even if  we can't do anything immediate for victims a world away.

Long ago, the writer E.B. White gave some advice that I think we should still consider today.  You can read that here.

Today, on Facebook Anne Lamott wrote this and I feel it is more eloquent and true than I could ever hope to put into words.

Remember to kiss your loved ones.  And yes, do wind the clock for tomorrow.



NaBloPoMo

3 comments:

sprite said...

I love this: "We are basically powerless, but we are not helpless." Thank you for sharing it.

Araignee said...

I wound the clock today but I have to admit I was in a packed Ikea this afternoon and it made me nervous. After living through the DC sniper episode all those years ago, I know what it feels like to be a target and I don't like it.

Bonny said...

I hadn't read E.B. White's letter before, but just came across it recently. He wrote eloquently yet down-to-earth, and I love how his advice is just as valid today as it was in 1973. Thanks for sharing.