17 July 2020

It's An FO Friday!

And with this item, my Quarantine Projects have all been completed.  This particular one was finished during June - but until yesterday, it was officially Too Damn Hot to put this sweater on for an FO photo.


Project:  Social Distancing Sweater
Pattern:  Pavement, by Veera Valamaki
Yarn:  Quince & Co. Finch, colorway Smoke (a dark green)
Needles:  US size 2.5, 7
Modifications:  None
Notes:  I had been wanting to make this sweater for a long time, and had the pattern in my Ravelry library and the yarn for at least 2 years.  I decided that if we were going to be in quarantine, I was going to knit this.  It was finished in June, but due to extremely hot and humid weather, even the thought of putting it on for a photo was too much.  Fortunately, this week has been nice, weather-wise, and so yesterday was the day for a photo.  Verdict:  I like this sweater.  I don't love this sweater.  I will happily wear it, but for some reason, I had it built up in my brain as something that would just blow me away once I knit it.  I think the generous use of short rows did it for me.  Yes, I did them - German short rows instead of Wrap and Turn - but I just don't like short rows.  I know why they are there, and that they make a difference, but I think they are just so annoying to me, that it kind of ruins the final feelings about the project.

I *like* this sweater, and will happily wear it.  I fully expected to LOVE this sweater, and I don't.  At a certain point, I finished it because I just wanted it DONE.  I think it's a nice sweater, I love the yarn and the color.  But I really think the short rows just ruined the project for me, which is just too bad.  It doesn't mean I'll never knit something with short rows again, it just means that in this project, I was disappointed because of them.

It's finished.  I like it well enough.  It fits, and I think it looks nice.  I just don't love it.  Maybe by the time I pull it out again in the fall, I'll feel differently, who knows.

******

Don't forget - if you want to be included in the possible winners for this week's Christmas in July, be sure to comment here!

Have a lovely weekend.  It supposed to get too hot and too humid here next week, so I'm hoping this weekend will at least be a good one.  Today we take Hamlet to the vet for his annual checkup.  Yesterday he got a bath and was brushed so he would look his best for his fan club at the vet's office.  He wasn't all that pleased about it, but he'll love the extra attention ... 😊

12 comments:

Araignee said...

The sweater looks great! I hear about the short rows. I avoid them like the plague. I skip them when they are around the neck because mine never come out right and I end up with a lop sided turtle neck every time.

Nance said...

You look terrific in that sweater. The proportions are perfect, and the sleeves especially are exactly the right fit and length (at least they would be for me). You can be really proud of it!

Maybe you simply have some leftover annoyance about the crafting of the piece that will disappear over time. I think it's lovely and flattering.

steph said...

I really like it.....and i think you might really like it, too, when it's fall, and not threatening 90 degrees outside!

Kim in Oregon said...

Great sweater! I'm kind of freaking out about the needle size though. I don't think I have the patience!

Dee said...

The sweater looks great and hopefully, by sweater weather you'll have forgotten all about the pain of short rows.

So with all your projects finished, what's next for the needles?

KSD said...

Love the color and fit of the sweater, but mostly the model. Job well done.

karen said...

beautiful! Seems like your needles are on fire lately :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I think it's looks amazing - it fits you so well. I rarely get that good a fit on a custom knit! Well done!

Shirley said...

The sweater is beautiful and looks great on you! Love your haircut. There was one morning about a week ago when I was able to walk without sweating (at 6:00 a.m.) That's always a treat in the summer.

sprite said...

The sweater looks great on you. I hope as you get further from doing the short rows that you come to love it, because I think it loves you.

Mereknits said...

I love it and I think it looks fabulous on you. I am a hater of short rows, I really can't stand them and will do anything to not knit a pattern with them, isn't that pathetic? Stay safe.

Lorette said...

That is very flattering! It fits beautifully, so the short rows may have been worth it.