20 July 2020

The Week 3 Winner Is Announced!

I have to say, I really enjoyed all of your responses to the most recent question for Christmas in July.  And frankly, I'm glad it was the random number generator that had to choose, because as I read each comment, I'd think "Oh yeah, me too!" - at least until I saw the next one. 😀

In any case, the random number generator decided that the week 3 winner is:

Cheryl!!!!

Here's her answer to the question: What is your favorite holiday symbol?

As for holidays I adore my New England Christmas village we set up on our mantel. It usually comes out about mid November until end December. I guess it is Christmas to me. Recently I split the village in half as we have downsized and gave half of them to my niece. On the promise someday she will get the rest. I love looking at all the wee lighted pieces.

I can picture it in my head, and would actually love to see it in person.  I love little villages of any kind - I guess because they are usually old-fashioned looking and for me at least, evoke scenes from stories in books and occasionally in old movies.

Congratulations, Cheryl!  You know the drill by now:  Please send an e-mail to:  thekittyknitterATverizonDOTnet with your name address, zip, etc. and I will get the package ready to mail.

I'm afraid I'm very fickle with my answer - I tend to think whatever holiday is happening NOW is the one with the best symbol!  Though overall, I'd have to say that lights - twinkle lights, Christmas lights, candles - anything that is extra light to just what the everyday lamp or overhead light provides makes me happy.  I remember when I was a kid, and we would be driving at night around Christmastime, I liked that the brake lights on cars were red, and traffic lights turned green, which I decided meant they were for the holidays.  Having said that, today I noticed that some twinkle lights I had put up in the craft room/office had 1/2 of one of the strings out.  I fooled around to see if one bulb was loose, but none of them were.  Most of them are still fine, but it was a bit disappointing, I have to say.

******

The weekend was fortunately not humid, but stupidly hot.  And I'm sorry, but it CAN be too hot, even if it's not humid.  We also got some sad news from a dear friend whose father died.  Mr. E. was one of the few people I ever met in my life that I can truly say found God in every person.  He was a freedom fighter, a minister in every sense of the word, and one of the kindest and funniest people I have ever known.  A few years ago, our friend's older sister died from MS, and his mom died about a year and a half ago, so it's been a few hard years.  And now he is the only one left from his family of origin, which must be a sad feeling.  Of course, we have always considered him, his wife, and his kids to be part of our extended family, so I am hoping he feels the love from all of us.

So that is the 3rd parent of a friend who has died from Covid-19, even though according to some people it's no big deal.  It's extra heartbreaking because they couldn't be with loved ones, and if you need loved ones any time, it's during a loss.  I would ask that even if you can't be with loved ones right now, that you make sure you say you love them.  And please keep a kind thought and/or prayer for Mr. E.

And so, on to the week.  It's supposed to be in the high 90s/low 100s this week here in Philadelphia, so it will be a mostly inside week for us.  I have three Zoom meetings - two are an hour only, and then there's another 3-hour one, which if there is a God, should be the last one.  Three hours is too long for any meeting, but even worse via Zoom, if you ask me!  My non-work related plans otherwise are to finish a book I'm about halfway through, and finish the second sock of the pair I'm currently knitting.  Thrilling stuff, no?

Stay cool if you are in this heat wave, and in any case, have the best week that you can!

6 comments:

Araignee said...

Congrats to the winner!!!
I am so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I still can't believe we are a country divided over such a serious threat.

Steph said...

What? Some people actually like the heat? Let me highly recommend Kentucky. We’re going into our third straight week of temps over 95 with near 100% humidity and only a rare pop up shower. Believe me this is too hot. 🥵

Nance said...

Whenever I hear anyone say that he or she loves this heat and humidity (and unfortunately, I do hear this), I almost feel as if it is their fault that we're having it.

I'm sick of it, and mightily.

I echo Araignee's sentiment: that you know already three people who have died of the virus is devastating. How can the people of our country be so selfish and ignorant still?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Congrats to the winner
I'm so sorry for the loss. It sickens me how some people are so selfish and heartless about the whole thing.
Stay safe (and cool!)

kathy b said...

Sorry to hear of your friends passing to the horrible COVID disease. Big hugs to you.

As a health care professional retired, I am baffled at how people with no medical knowledge, are urging others to ignore medical advice.

i love the heat and humidity of summer so much. Especially at night.

Mereknits said...

Well according to our Governor its mostly the elderly that are dying, like that isn't a big deal. It is each and every person is a really big deal. So sorry for all the loss your friend has had, and you too. Stay safe.