17 February 2020

In Which I Finally Lose All Patience

I try, really I do.  I try to accept that not everyone is as annoying and picky as I am.  I try because I know I am far from perfect and there is likely a litany of things that others could talk about that I do that drives them crazy.

But still, sometimes I just lose it and want people to pay attention just one more second before they proceed.

Case in point: I have a friend who, whenever she makes a mistake in an e-mail, comment, etc. will write "Opps!"  She means "Oops!" and it makes me crazy.  Once I asked her if anyone other than me commented on it, and she said everyone does, but she can't take the time to make sure she types the correct thing, and besides we all know she does it.  Ugh.

I might add that this individual is only too happy to point out mistakes that others make, and not in a kind way.  "Opps," indeed.

Then there is the co-worker whose messages look like she took grammar and composition lessons from the Tweets of Donald Trump.  You know, she spells things incorrectly, or uses poor/no punctuation, or randomly capitalizes words for no reason.  Last week she sent an all-staff e-mail that said, "Helo everyone there are some jounals we get in the library that are extras or duplicates..... so you ARE welcoume to have THem."  It's hard enough to get our colleagues to take us seriously as fellow professionals, this cannot possibly help our cause.

She is also regularly complaining that "foreigners" don't even try to understand English. 


Look - if you are someone with little/no education, or if English is your second language, or if you are making an effort at all, I'm completely on board with you doing as well as you can.  I admire those who may not really understand the language, or who realize they are dyslexic, etc., and who struggle to get it right, and make it work however they can.  I admire those who are always trying to do a better job. 

But I am just really weary of lazy and careless people, or those who claim they are just being casual, so there is no reason to check spelling, punctuation, etc.  Do I speak to the pets or The Tim at home the same way I do to my colleagues at work?  Not necessarily, but I am at home, and not trying to communicate with the wider world in a logical and professional way.  Heck, I even make an effort here to make things make sense and write in a way that if one of my old teachers happened upon the blog, they would be pleased with my writing, even if not by my topics!

I'm sure part of this is a result of my upbringing.  My parents always expected us to speak well and write well, believing that "just because we are poor, we don't need to sound poor."  And I love words and language, so admittedly I can be obsessive.  But I am also a firm believer in presenting yourself to the world in the best way possible.  I don't want everyone to like me, but I do hope they can appreciate that I make an effort with my writing.

And so, on this President's/Presidents' Day (a holiday that no expert can agree should be written one way or another), when we have someone who is the leader of our country who can barely put a sentence together as well as a first grader, I have to admit that my patience is gone. 

*****

If you have a day off today, I hope you enjoy it.  I am hoping to knit, read, and even take some time to plan dinner, rather than making it to 4 pm or so and then saying to myself, "Oh yeah, I should think about dinner."  Whatever your day holds, I hope it's a good one to start this week.

7 comments:

kayT said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Grammar Nazi. I wish you could be in charge of the world! Run for office; I'll vote for you on the Pay Attention to Your Language platform. (I love "messages look like she took grammar and composition lessons from the Tweets of Donald Trump".)

Jan said...

Thank You. (I needed that!).

Kim in Oregon said...

Oh those things would make me crazy, although now I want to say 'opps' all the time (I"m a big ooper!).

Lorette said...

I’m right there with you. I’m fine with people using slang and “modern” syntax, especially in a non-professional setting. Otherwise not. I was in a meeting with our work group last week. One of my colleagues (master’s degree, professional work setting) started a sentence with “I seen a patient yesterday”. It was all I could do to not slap her.

Araignee said...

As a former first grade teacher I can attest to the fact that most first graders could think circles around you know who. I won't defend him as he has staff who should know better but I will admit that as we age we all have our senior moments where deciding between they're, there and their uses up a lot more brain power than you would think. We have a retirement age for a reason. It's absolutely ridiculous that our current field of politicians and judges look like the population at my Dear Departed Dad's nursing home. They should all be home watching the Hallmark Channel all day.

AsKatKnits said...

All of this. Every.single.word. I believe all of this is part of a scheme "they" have to wear us all down.

Although, pertinent to your thoughts on those trying to learn our language. Some great friends from Japan who had grasped the challenges of the English Language, but wanted to fit in better with all the colloquialisms that at times make no sense - he would say that these people are all "out in that other field" (he never could remember if they were lefters or righters, as he explained) and sadly, he was so correct. XO

Kym said...

(I'm so sorry that I missed this post when you first posted it last week.) I am also a member of the Grammar Squad, so totally on board with you. I am amazed at some of the "professional" correspondence I receive. (And don't even get me started on the weekly classroom newsletters I used to receive from some of my kids' school teachers. It was appalling.)

In another life, I used to be a grant reviewer. Well-written grant proposals - clear and concise, with proper grammar and no spelling errors - made a huge difference in final funding decisions. (Not just from me, but from grant panels as a whole.) It matters. It really does.