12 February 2020

Maybe This, Maybe That ... Oh, Something Shiny!

That's me these days.  I think I've decided on something to do/wear/make/watch, and then I hear about something else, and go to that, and then - SHINY!! - and I'm off again.  Which for the purposes of today's post is the same thing as saying I am neither unraveled nor raveled ...

Knitting-wise, I'm still working on the socks I showed in this post, and have the toe to do on one sock, and the leg and toe on the other, so those are going along very well, thank you.  But I finally decided that I wanted to start knitting a sweater, which OK, good decision, Bridget.  And I had enough yarn purchased long ago for about three different patterns, so it was deciding which to choose.  Two of the patterns were for heavier weights, and I just wasn't feeling that, so I decided on a fingering weight sweater that I've wanted to knit for a while, because I've liked all that I've seen that have been knit by other people.

So I *thought* I had decided to go ahead and give the Pavement sweater a try, and figured I would wind the yarn and swatch this weekend.


But then yesterday, I was watching the Flame and Fiber podcast, and she showed her recently started Carina sweater, and then I was like, WAIT MAYBE THAT'S THE ONE.


I can't even say, well, if I go ahead and make X, I already have the pattern, so I don't have to pay for a new one, but I already had both patterns.  And I realize that whichever one I make now does not mean that I can't ever make the other one.  But that's NOT THE POINT, people!!

This indecision has been good for me, in that it has meant the aforementioned socks have been getting a lot of attention, which is why I've made such progress.  :-)

Reading-wise, I finished a book called The Wonder, by Emma Donoghue, over the weekend, and have been spending a ridiculous amount of time deciding what will be next.  I've dipped into a couple of things, but nothing has grabbed me yet.  I have to say that this aggravates me more than deciding on a sweater.  I think because I have the socks to work on in the meantime, but I'm not currently reading anything other than articles, news, etc. and that is just not fair!

Hopefully, if you head over to Kat's blog, you can see that others are being more decisive than I am (not that it would be hard).

***
Back to knitting for a moment - I have a funny story.  You may or may not recall that we have a craft group at work that meets twice a month.  It's open to any interested parties, even those who may not really be crafty but would like an actual break in the day (we meet at lunchtime, and there are a lot of "I don't have time for lunch" types who drive the rest of us crazy).  

So yesterday was one of our meetings, and a woman who comes every time and brings treats ("baking is MY craft") was there, and she started saying that she just might want to learn to knit.  Then she said, "I'm guessing I could save a lot of money knitting my own stuff," and then of course the discussion began.  At one point, one of the guys said, "If I thought someone was getting a living wage, maybe it wouldn't bother me to spend money on clothing and such.  But since a lot of clothes are made in sweatshop conditions, I'd rather spend the money on fabric and make as much of my own stuff as possible," and pretty much everyone both understood what he was saying and agreed.  

And then our baker said, "So here all of you are, knitting, sewing, etc., and none of you are being paid a living wage, either."  The room burst into laughter - not because we are happy to be paid poorly, but because she was actually making a good point!  Then of course we all had to "thank" her for bringing down the room, etc.  

Trust me, it really was funny.  :-)

OK, that's it for today.  I hope your Wednesday is a good one.

8 comments:

AsKatKnits said...

I love both sweaters! (and I think having two choices is brilliant and I say which one gets gauge wins!)

We had a similar conversation at knit night last night about having a minimal wardrobe! We were all laughing at the things we have that are preventing us from trying this idea out!

Vera said...

Love both sweaters!! Curious to see which one you pick.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I like both sweaters, but I think I like Pavement just a little bit more.

Araignee said...

That's the problem I have with knitting podcasts. I always want whatever the presenter is knitting. I have to talk myself down on a regular basis. I was just watching one do a tour of an Icelandic knit shop and wasted the entire morning looking at Icelandic yarn-again even though I haven't even started the sweater I bought my most recent package of Icelandic yarn for.

Shirley said...

Both sweaters are just beautiful. I like Pavement the best simply because of the way the bottom is sculptured. Love the curved slit. I know all about flitting from one project to the next and being undecided. I just pulled fabric for a quilting project but decided it wasn't working for me. Fortunately, I decided this before cutting anything and I am now back to pursuing various ideas. Your craft group sounds just wonderful!

Patty said...

The sweater choice is a win-win Bridget! I'm reading Long Bright River which takes place in Philadelphia. It's fun hearing about your city (fictionally at least!) which I've only been to once when I was 12. Would love to get back one day.

kathy b said...

Awwww. Sounds like a good baker and a good sport

karen said...

love both sweaters and knitting for me is free therapy and I end up getting something to wear in the end. I don't do commission work because the price tag would be way too high :)