27 February 2020

Nope, Meh, and Yes

OK, last night we actually attended a concert and though it was lovely and amazing, it meant that I was up a lot later than usual, and so today other than being upright, well ...

To quote The Tim when we left the house: "We seldom go out during the week in the evenings.  The animals are gonna be confused."  They were, and so was my body clock.  ;-)

Today at work I have two meetings back to back before I return to moving stuff, so hopefully I will be busy enough to not realize how tired I am!

In any case, today I have decided to participate in Three on Thursday by sharing three things:  Nope, Meh, and Yes, as discussed/illustrated below.

NOPE

I refuse to allow any images of this person to be on my blog, but look at this if you want to know what I am talking about.  From the get-go, it has made me sick to see this person pretending to need a walker to get around.  And after the verdict was announced, he was shown walking without said walker.  I guess the effort of moving on his own is what gave him the "chest pains" that sent him to the hospital instead of directly to jail.

Mostly, though, this is a NOPE because there are plenty of people who actually need to use a walker to get around, if nothing else to help with their balance and to help them feel secure.  But you know there will now be those who think anyone using a walker is somehow just faking it to "take advantage."  Gah.

MEH

I got a lot of e-mails last week, lambasting me for my post where I griped about spelling, punctuation, and grammar.  I would like to point out that a) none of them were from people for whom English was a second language, and b) some were really rude.  At first I thought I should feel bad, but I re-read the post, and it was clear - at least to me - that I was owning it all as something that really bothered me, not saying people who have issues with any of the above were evil or should be imprisoned.  One person pointed out that she does it "because she is busy thinking, and so can't take the time to check what/how she writing things."  You know what?  I find that to be a lame excuse.  You know what else?  In the end, I really don't care.

YES

I follow a woman on Twitter who is a minister, and a week or so ago, she said that it had been a tough year for her, and:

"So this year for Lent, I'm giving up criticism and self-loathing. 
I'm fasting from hopelessness and fear.
Not because anything right now warrants it, but because hope is an act of resistance.

Maybe instead of ashes, this year we need confetti.
Maybe instead of thorns, this year we need flowers.

Not because everything is sunshine and roses, but because those things persist even still."  

She offered to send out a post every day during Lent to anyone who was interested, and created a project called Lent-ish.  I signed up, and yesterday was the first day.  The initial post was great, but this especially spoke to me.


Definitely a YES for me.  :-)

11 comments:

AsKatKnits said...

I think old white men with walkers was best parodied on SNL, it seems to be all the rage for men with legal problems because they think it will curry sympathy from the jury? Ha! I agree with you on that one!! A BIG Nope!!

And, your yes... YES, YES, YES, YES!!!

thehandwrittenthankyounote said...

It's quite possible that you've readjusted my attitude toward the confetti that people stuff in birthday cards or snail mail letters. That stuff drives me nuts. But perhaps there's a better way to look at it... :)

Kym said...

It's your blog. You get to say whatever you want to. And I love the whole Lent-ish "thing." Thanks for sharing. XO

Vera said...

Bring on the confetti!!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I love this nope meh yes format! And I agree with Kym. Your blog, your ideas, your rules.

Araignee said...

Oh, how I love the YES! A little sparkle is what we all need. I've been watching the Rupaul series on Netflix and I am now convinced I was a drag queen in another life.

Helen said...

When I saw what's his name with the walker I thought 'sleaze/faker'
As a teacher writing my own materials I would proof, then go to the printer and run 100+ copies only to find a typo in the first page...gah. So I did proof, but sometimes they get by us (almost wrote buy). I hate making mistakes that could be corrected even though I get it is 'human'. I try to be forgiving of others typos because I figure they happened the same way mine do.
3) bring on the confetti!!!!
Thanks for your 3 on Thursday.

kathy b said...

Oh I may join for Lent... Thanks!!!

Nance said...

I am so with you on the first two.

With specifics toward the grammar/spelling thing, as a retired English teacher and part-time tech writer and editor, I am hypersensitive to errors. I give them a pass in Comments because lots of people are speedily typing as they react, sometimes on teensy phone keyboards or iPads (those keyboards are terrible). But you absolutely get to say what bugs you on your own personal website. As do I--even here in your Comments--if I keep it civil.

Finally, even though I am a recovering former Catholic and no longer religious, I thank you for the link to the Lenten reflections. She is quite insightful and encouraging.

karen said...

I am giving up with endless complaining about certain people in my life. I am only going to say positive things about anybody at any given time. I'm focusing on the GOOD in people. That is my Lenten goal and being a sarcastic person this is a huge challenge and a different mindset.

Meditations in Motion said...

Ooooh, that's a big yes for me! Thanks for the heads up. The woman minister and I must be on the same wavelength (that's what I wrote about for 3 on Thursday too)!

I'm with you on your "nope" and your "meh" also. I am an English teacher's daughter. Incorrect spelling, punctuation, and grammar are like nails on a blackboard. There's really no reason when there are free grammar apps available.