26 March 2020

Life Lessons

Hi there - I hope all of you are still well.  We are doing OK, and for that I am extremely grateful, particularly since I usually am the one who catches every single thing that comes around and I have happily missed this altogether - let's hope that continues! The Tim has his last day of work tomorrow, and then is laid off indefinitely.  I'm glad I don't have to worry about him being at work, so I can just go back to worrying about our finances, which I do anyway, but now with added flavor.  ;-)

In any event, being that I am part of the demographic that the governor of Texas thinks should be more than happy to sacrifice ourselves for the betterment of society, I thought I would share three things that I have learned in my apparently too-long life, that have not just helped me in the past, but that are helping me now.  None of them are new or life-changing - just reminders.  And since it's also time for Three on Thursday, here you go.

1.  Remember to laugh.  You don't need to laugh until you cry, you can even just smile.  But if you are lucky enough to find something that makes you actually laugh, enjoy it.  Just because things are terrible, or sad, or unbearable, it doesn't mean you can't laugh.  If nothing else, for those few minutes, you will be able to be your real self.

2.  Nothing lasts forever.  Neither good nor bad.  This one is a really hard one to learn and live.  Losing a loved one is the worst thing, but one day you wake up and realize that even if you will always carry sadness about them in your heart, you can also move forward and get back to your life.  I don't know of anyone who ever hopes that life will stop for everyone else when they are gone.  On a much much lesser level, chocolate cake doesn't last forever, either, but once it's gone, there are other things to enjoy.

3.  Enjoy things.  If are one of those people who seems always have wonderful things happen, and live in a world where bunnies romp, flowers bloom, birds sing, and unicorns have glitter coming out of their a**es, good for you.  But I truly believe that most of us live in the other world, and have to make do the best we can.  So watch your favorite TV show, go to the beach, knit what you like, sing in the shower, eat good food - whatever you enjoy, embrace it.  Unless you enjoy murdersprees, in which case, you may want to talk to a medical professional.

Like I said, not news, but at least in my experience, the truth.  So many things are out of our control, and there are tons of things I wouldn't want to control even if I could!

9 comments:

Nance said...

Because I do not have any television on during the day and do not engage in social media, I was blissfully unaware of A Certain Texan's remarks.

Until my sister informed me via text message that #DiefortheDow was trending on Twitter and explained.

Sigh.

I love your Three Things. I'm purposely looking for lighter, happier things, and a Good Laugh goes a long way toward making a day better.

Kym said...

Thanks, Bridget! I always love your healthy perspective and tell-it-like-it-is attitude. MUCH appreciated. I'm sorry about the financial worries, but happy Tim will be at home now. Sending all the good juju. XO

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Enjoy things is the biggest thing, I think! Bad crap will continue to happy, but finding the light in the dark is the true treasure of life.

Araignee said...

Good advice. I am trying to give myself some mental health breaks everyday by watching old comedies and stand ups. I need to know what's going on out there but I can only take so much. I am such a hypochondriac that every report I read convinces me I have it. It's just my allergies but I can't convince the part of my brain that controls my anxiety to calm down.

Meditations in Motion said...

I USED to be the one who caught everything that came around when I was a school teacher. Now that I have retired, I only catch half of everything. I am hoping I miss out on this one!

Enjoying the things we can enjoy is good advice. Today I enjoyed a run through the woods on a beautiful spring day!

Shirley said...

For many years, I have tried to focus on enjoying the day. Even in these surreal times, I am still able to find some joy. I try to focus on what I can do and not what I cannot do. Chocolate always helps.

Dee said...

Apparently there is an ANONYMOUS going around to blogs and wishing the same thing as the Texas Governor. Apparently, they think us Boomers are the cause of all the problems.

Well, suck it, Anonymous. I'm here and I've lived through worse than you.

So there! LOL

On a different note: Steve's Dad is in ICU with an urinary tract infection and possible pneumonia. They are testing him for Covid-19. He has to stay there until the test comes back, which they said could take up to 10 days.

Not fun, but at least we know he is being taken care of.

AsKatKnits said...

I am glad Tim will be home, but I can feel the worry in your words about being laid off. You are in my thoughts my friend - sending more juju to add to Kyms! Be well!

karen said...

so glad tim will be home! and I pray your finances can work out in the end. Worriers are being stressed out right now!