30 March 2020

Planning When You Don't Really Need a Plan

If you have read my blog for a while, and/or have met me in real life, you know that I do love plans and lists.  The funny thing is, a lot of the time, I don't follow them or even accomplish things on them, but I guess I like knowing the structure is there.

Friends of mine with children have pretty elaborate lists and plans because they have to keep track of multiple people, and I know it often stresses them out.  I'm generally keeping track of only myself, and years ago decided that if things didn't happen, it was still OK.  So I realize I'm already ahead of a lot of people

Nonetheless, I have been trying hard to still make lists and plans for myself since they tend to make me feel more grounded.  I remember when we would move to a new place when The Tim would get a new job, I was unemployed, but would still have myself sorted out.  It did make it easier to adapt once I had a job that required following someone else's schedule.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have planned a series of projects to do during the week so that I wouldn't just sit and do nothing.  A lot of them involved putting things away, or cleaning out something - the kind of thing that is occupying, but also works with a somewhat distracted mind.  When I realized that The Tim was going to start being home all the time also after today, I had a talk with myself, so that I wouldn't let his I-never-plan-anything approach drive me as nuts as I know it can.  He's one of those people that will decide on the spur of the moment that he is going to paint a room, so all of a sudden everything has to be moved out right away, etc.  In my case, unless I found out that painting a room RIGHT NOW would somehow save my life or provide me with a million dollars, I would plan when I wanted to start painting, gradually move things out, etc.  So adjustments will need to happen.

Fortunately, since I know I'll have plenty more time off, I'm not trying to cram it all into a few days or one week.  I've been approaching the days in much the same way I approach the weekends.  I do Chore X for 1/2 to an hour (setting a timer), and then do something I want to do (knit, read, take a walk) for the same amount of time.   Rinse and repeat.  This way, I don't feel like a drudge. 

OK, I seldom feel like a drudge - it's more likely that I'll decide skip the chores ... ;-)

For instance - my 'big' project today?  Going through the approximately 6500 plastic/Tupperware containers we have and getting rid of those that are worn out, no longer have lids, etc.  This will in no way take the whole day, but if I get that done, I'll feel that I have accomplished something.  And before you tell me that glass containers are more environmentally reasonable, I will tell you that a) we use the ones we have for years and years, and b) The Tim is careless with these kinds of things, and there is a strong probability that we would be replacing glass containers regularly if we used those.  If it was all up to me, glass would win, but it's not and I can live with that.

Anyway, the reason I'm sharing this is in the hope that it may give you some ideas on a useful way to fill your time when your regular concentration skills are not available.  It works for me most of the time, so perhaps it will work for you, or give you some ideas.


*****
In other news, our craft group at work had our Zoom meeting last Friday, right before our virtual all-staff Zoom meeting.  It was lots of fun and we had some good laughs.  One guy in the group used a virtual background showing a group of men knitting, and it looked like he was sitting on someone's lap, which provided many comments and much hilarity.  We decided to try and meet once a week, since no one is tied to other stuff at work, so that will be enjoyable. 

In our all-staff meeting, we learned that we may very likely not be going back to work in our building until mid-June, and that "for now" no one is being laid off and that "for now" no salaries are being cut back.  Which is at least temporarily comforting, but given that two other museums in the city have gotten rid of 75 and 65 percent of their staffs respectively, no one felt reassured. 

I can't help but think of that Chinese saying, "May you live in interesting times."  Sigh.  Not the "interesting" most of us would dream about, I'm guessing.

9 comments:

Kym said...

I'm a planner, too, Bridget. Only these days, my plans are going off the rails a bit! (It's getting better. I'm getting better.) Tom often has big plans . . . in his head. That he doesn't always share with me until, well. . . until I see a ladder (or something)! ;-) I'm so glad you enjoyed your craft meet-up! It sounds like a great way to keep connected with your colleagues in an informal way. XO

AsKatKnits said...

Having Steve home more frequently has me putting on my list... don't tear your hair out. (okay, it might also include don't kill him, lol)

Good luck with your list... that one works well for me!

Araignee said...

Lol....that list is too funny!

Nance said...

Oh, the dreaded Tupperware (or faux Tupperware) purge! I did it years ago, and I have to say, it was among the best things I ever put time into. My buddy Shirley told me that she never stores her Tupperware without the lids ON. It provides several benefits: 1. You never search for the lid; 2. You don't stash too much Tupperware because it takes up more space with lids on; 3. You always have the right lid for each container.

LIFE CHANGING ADVICE!

I heeded it and I never want for containers, lids, or storage. Just putting it out there for you.

Good News about your job/pay. And suddenly, all I'm hearing and reading about is Zoom.

KSD said...

In the "try to find a silver lining" vein, it's fortunate that all this is happening when we have so many ways to keep in touch.

Shirley said...

It is so neat that your craft group can continue to stay connected. Glad the news regarding job/pay is good. This is such a strange time and none of us have ever experienced anything like this.

karen said...

like you a list keeps me grounded as well. I went bonkers today after grocery shopping. I used to like it but now I HATE it, it's too stressful and everyone is a possible contaminant....anyways. I am going to write a gratitude list morning noon and night just to keep me being a better version of myself. Wish me luck. I do hope your job security is good.

Dee said...

Glad to hear that "for now" the pay will continue.

I can't imagine how many of our favorite Mom and Pop places will NOT be there come June.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The similarities between us continue to astound me! Dave drives me nuts because he'll suddenly get an idea and we have to do it RIGHT THAT SECOND!!!
It could be 10 pm, I'm in jammies, relaxing and knitting with the cats, thinking about getting ready for bed and he'll be all "Lets hang those shelves" which requires moving things from the corner, cleaning the corner, arguing for 30 minutes on the right way to hang the shelves, looking for tools.... you get it.
That said, I'm the Queen of Procrastination, so I guess we balance each other out.

I've been tempted to switch to glass containers for storage, but I guarantee you, we'd still lose the lids.
Our fav Chinese food place uses round black plastic containers with clear lids for their take out. They are a good size, and the lids fit nice and tight, so I've taken to saving them and using them until the plastic gets too brittle to use (it takes a couple of years). That way I'm reusing... and then they go in the recycle bin because they are recyclable! So thrifty, and recyclable! Win-win! (Though we still have more dishes than lids...)