23 March 2020

Well Here We Are Again

Hi all - I don't know about you, but I am starting my second week home instead of at my workplace.  I have moved on from worrying about my own situation to just wishing that The Tim's place of business would have to close (which I think is coming, but not fast enough to suit me).  In Philadelphia, only businesses considered "essential to life" are still allowed to operate as usual.  That includes places like grocery stores, which is not a surprise, but apparently at this point, transportation (i.e. rental cars) are still considered part of that category.  He has said that rentals are already down more than 50% and people have been laid off, so they are getting there but not soon enough for me.  I don't want to think he could get sick because he still had to work.  Will it be really problematic for our finances if he isn't working?  You bet.  But that's OK, we'll figure something out.  I can tell it's starting to worry him too, because yesterday he suggested we make a plan for when one/both of us get sick - and he is in no way the planner that I am, so that was major.

Anyway.  At least we have a place to live, and food, water, etc.  Whatever happens, we will be OK, because we will have to be.  I just wish that others would be more proactive about following guidelines and orders.  Having said that, I saw this graphic the other day, and I remind myself to look at it so that I can put things in perspective.  I thought it might help others to see it also.


Use it if you need it.

The weekend was quiet, as expected.  Except that my sister in California kept calling me to tell me she was bored and stir crazy.  And how her grown kids are being driven crazy by their kids, who need to apparently be constantly entertained.  I get it, but I also can only stand to hear about it so much, you know?

It did get me to thinking though that this must be really difficult for extroverts like my sister.  Her life revolves around going out, being with other people, and socializing.  She is not a reader, and not a person interested in any crafts, so for her this is just plain unbearable, and it really is too bad.

In my case, other than hoping The Tim's job will shut down, I'm not having a hard time of it as far as having to stay home goes.  Hamlet and I go for walks, so I do get out of the house at least 2-3 times a day (even when it's pouring, as it is right now ... oh well!).  I have been able to do my exercise routines every day as part of my new schedule, which is both a physical and mental benefit.  I love to read, I love to knit/craft, I love to cook and bake.  No, I don't necessarily always feel like doing those things, but I have a variety.  Besides being an introvert, I think it's also the result of growing up with both older parents and siblings who were much older - I have always been left pretty much to my own devices, and learned from an early age how to entertain myself.  I'm not sure a lot of kids have that these days.

Over the weekend, I managed to finish the first sock of the pair I'm knitting:


And I finally got started on the sweater which caused me swatching problems:


This is actually not really close to the color of the yarn - it's more of a dark green, but I had to work with the lighting I had.  I restarted this about 5 different times, thanks to stupid short rows on the back of the neck.  Now that I'm beyond that, things are moving along well.

On today's schedule is some house cleaning and clearing out a couple of drawers in my dresser that have just accumulated stuff that probably doesn't need to be kept, or that needs to live somewhere else.  I guess one good thing from all of this is that I get these kinds of things accomplished!  :-)

Take care, friends, and I hope your week goes well, with as little stress or upset as possible.

9 comments:

karen said...

Like you I wish that everyone was following the directives. If everyone stayed home and limited their outings we could flatten the curve faster. I am guessing that if the curve in PA does not flatten soon the directives will get more strict. EEP.

Vera said...

Hope you and the Tim are staying well Bridget. One note on rentals...my managers are renting vans, etc. for transporting our employees to the medical facilities where they work - anticipating some shut down of public transportation. I know they were doing that in Baltimore and Detroit. So...rental vehicles could be considered essential in that regard. Take care!!

Nance said...

Sigh. SHORT ROWS!

Ohio has been given a Stay At Home Order. Following the Homeland Security protocol, both of my sons and my husband are considered Essential Services Employees. It's such a broad designation that pretty much everyone not in an Education or Entertainment or Cultural field is still working.

Like you and so many others, I have lots of things I can do here at home and am used to being quietly occupied. And I also have a sister who will be climbing the walls here very quickly--she's a gym rat and a day-tripper. I know I'll be hearing from her soon!

Maybe we should introduce them to each other!

Kym said...

Like you, I feel fortunate that I'm an introvert right now! (And especially an introvert with plenty of reading materials and "making" materials on hand.) My biggest problem for now . . . is lack of concentration. I feel so scattered and flighty! It's getting better, but still a barrier to getting things done. Thank you for the what I can/can't control graphic, Bridget. That's a good one -- and so important to keep close right now. I'm sending all the good juju to Tim. XOXO

AsKatKnits said...

Michigan is announcing this morning to shelter at home I think... I too have been worried for my son who is still working every day. It is scary and my prayer list grows longer each day.

Stay well...both of you! XO

Dee said...

I feel like you do. I have plenty to keep me busy. I like to read and to knit and Giroux makes sure I attend to HIS needs.

Do I wish for my normal routines? Sure. But, we shall manage. AND, this morning there was a little crack in Trump. I see worry in his eyes. Oh, not about US --- about his reelection.

Yep --- the wizard is beginning to see the writing on the wall.

Araignee said...

I suppose this is that apocalyptic event that I've been stashing for over the years. The only thing is that I am too worried to enjoy any of it. It's not like a snowstorm or even a hurricane. Everything is so out of control. Your chart is very helpful. I need to print it out and put it on my wall. I'm not helping anyone if I make myself sick with worry.

Kim in Oregon said...

I ranted about stupid people not social distancing today on my blog. I am a happy introvert--and living in a tiny town almost everything is an 'essential service' so once the tourists leave it should be fine.

Shirley said...

Your sock is beautiful! I was going to say that I love the color of your sweater (very pretty blue on my monitor) and then I read on that the true color was not showing. I am trying to make the best of each day and enjoy my home and cats.