13 May 2020

FIguring It Out All Over Again

Hello all - did any of you miss me?  I'm guessing probably not, and that's a good thing! 

Last Thursday, I had one of my [too] many Zoom meetings for work.  I was in the middle of it, when The Tim walked through the room and tripped over the cord connecting my laptop to the power source (I was in a different space so that he could do his stuff without interruption).  Well, the laptop crashed on the floor, disconnected, etc.  So I had to get reconnected, rejoin the meeting, etc.

All of that might have been fine, except that about two hours later, when I was in my usual spot, reading some blogs, Hamlet came over, and jumped on me, causing me to drop the laptop.  After which I could turn it on, but it just beeped and beeped and beeped.  So I passed it along to The Tim (our local IT dept), and he determined that the laptop had finally succumbed. 

Because of course.  Just when we are rolling in money, and I actually need to use it for work stuff.  So he got me set up on his computer, which was very nice of him, but which also meant that I had limited access since we were sharing.  Which is fine, but when I needed to go to the [too] many Zoom meetings, it meant he had no chance to use the computer.  He ordered an enclosure for the hard drive of my laptop, to see if he could at least get the files (all of my documents and photos).  That arrived, and he as able to download those, so at least that is something.

The Tim said that he had no problem sharing his computer, but he felt it was really necessary for each of us to have one.  So he shopped around and now I am writing this post on an HP Chromebook. 

So to recap:

  • I have my own laptop again.
  • So far, none of my files have been transferred, nor do we know if they will be able to be.
  • The Tim has his computer to himself again.
  • I am trying to figure out WTF is going on with this thing, because on the one hand, it is fooling me into a sense of knowing how to use it, and then WHAM something is different and I'm starting over again.
  • Our credit card bill will now be even more.  Sigh.
In the grand scheme of things, I know that I am incredibly fortunate that we have a credit card to purchase a new laptop, and that I am privileged in so many ways.  My old laptop was approximately 10 years old, so it had served admirably for longer than expected, when you get down to it.  We're both still alive and kicking, and have food, a place to live, etc.  I know that in all sense of the word, this was no big deal.

But it sure was annoying and upsetting.  And I wasn't ready to have to start figuring all of this out on top of everything else going on these days.

Most importantly, the thing we all need to remember is:  The Tim and Hamlet are the ones at fault here.  Right?????

Hope to see you again soon, hopefully with more figured out.  😊

12 comments:

Kym said...

It's so hard to have unexpected (and unwanted) expenses come up! It sounds like you REALLY got your money's worth from your old laptop! I hope your new one serves you equally well. XO

KSD said...

I absolutely missed you. <3

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh dear!
I can say... we got my Dad a Chrome book and he loves it. That said, he didn't have a lot of previous computer experience (ie Windows operating system) to mess him up with the differences.

Dave and I haven't shared computers for a very long time, and I don't know if we can do it. It was hard enough to share a car with him when mine went down!

Kim in Oregon said...

Oh I'm so sorry that all happened. These things, that normally we can gracefully slide through, are just so---DISCONCERTING!--during a pandemic. My flat iron was all wonky a week ago, and I shook it and shook it and shook it and got it going and quickly ordered one off of Amazon but of course it took a week to get here. The flat iron held on til today, but luckily the new one came yesterday.

Of course my life will go on with frizzy hair but just knowing that I can deal with awful hair is giving me a bit of peace. I hope your new laptop does that for you.

Way TMI in this post!

Araignee said...

I love my Chromebook but then I don't use it for work just for fun.
Daughter had her $$$ Apple laptop die last week and she is running her coaching business through Zoom now. She had to go pick a new one up from a Tech store parking lot and she said it was like being in an ER. Big tents where they preocess you and even scan your temp. All the workers were in head to toe PPE. She was pretty shook up by the experience.

Alison said...

I missed you too. I am so in love with Hamlet, but I could imagine the big goof knocking things around.

Hope your new laptop is all you wish it to be.

Here in New Zealand we are semi back to normal from today, shops open with one in and one out policy. Progress at least.

Vera said...

Tim and Hamlet are definitely to blame. They need to own up!

Glad you are back in the running/posting.

Minerva said...

I am usually good with change, but when it comes to computers, that's another ball game. I'm sure that you'll learn all the nuances as you use it.

Nance said...

I was wondering about you, for sure.

Getting used to a new computer is THE WORST. It's ten times worse than a new wallet or purse. ;-) I feel like The Tim should let you use his computer until he gets your Cbook all set up for you. After all...!

Everything is more stressful now--for everyone except the top 10%. I don't think any of us comprise that bracket, so you can vent away.

AsKatKnits said...

Oh boy, it's a good thing Hamlet is so darned cute! (but, oy... what a kicker to have to replace your laptop!)

Shirley said...

Oh, no! Hope the transition to the Chrome book goes smoothly. The blame definitely lies elsewhere. Please share your progress with Chrome book.

karen said...

apparently the universe wanted you to have a new laptop! I think now many of the new laptops come with a magnetic charging cord so your first accident won't likely happen again. They have yet to dog proof computers. 10 years is pretty good!