07 November 2008

Friday Night Jumble

I'm feeling a little bit scattered, so this post will have absolutely no continuity ...

First, let me get myself caught up with the ABC-Along 2008

Yes, tonight is my last chance to be caught up, with the letter V. So I must tell you:

V is for Victory!!

As in, World Series 2008 Victory!! It's still as exciting to think about as it was when it happened, and last Friday there was a humongous parade for the Phillies. I really wanted to go, but of course couldn't, so I had to wait to see other people's pictures of it, and then watch a little bit of the rerun on TV this past Sunday. I can't tell you how nice it has been to see people walking around looking just plain happy in general - which is something Philadelphia deserves, given that so much of the news around here so much of the time is not happy.

I don't know if you can tell in the picture above, but one of the Phillies even has a victorious name - yep, Shane Victorino - how about that? Whenever he comes to bat, I always think he would be a perfect neighbor for Ned Flanders on "The Simpsons" - you know, Ned would likely say, "Well, hi-dilly ho there, neighborino Victorino!"

Well, it amuses me anyway ...

The Election ...

OK, so I'm the only person who didn't write a blog post about the election outcome. But that doesn't mean that I didn't/don't care, because I thought it was all very exciting, since there were so many undecided voters, and really, you never know what could happen. Plus, I LOVE to vote! And when even one person I voted for wins, it's such a nice feeling.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens next. Though I don't say much about it here, I'm really a political junkie, if a cynical one. Partly because I am cynical by nature anyway, and partly because working at the Senate for a few years shows you how it works, day by day. Which I appreciate, and which in the end does not affect my ridiculous idealism at all.

Also - I just want to point out that this week's election shows that "As goes Doughboy, so goes the nation" ...

Speaking of politics

Do you remember the former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich? Well, I'll admit that I have never been a fan of his, politically or from what I have read about him, personally. So a couple of weeks ago, when I was eating breakfast, and was watching one of the morning news shows, they had him on to talk about the [then] upcoming election. I turned to the Garden Kitty, and said, "Garden Kitty, who the crap cares what he has to say now? I didn't even care what he had to say before!" To which it was clear that the Garden Kitty agreed.

Well, later that night, The Tim and I were watching TV on the third floor (I don't remember what we were watching, but I'm sure it was PBS - you know, just like always ...), and we could hear GK on the first floor, making this God-awful moaning sound. It was clear that he was headed up the steps, and when he got to the third floor, he dropped this at my feet:

It's a Newt Hoot! A catnip toy, originally given to our cat Molly, by our friend Carr (we met working at the Senate together)! Molly really really hated this toy, and regularly attacked it and threw it around mercilessly. For probably quite a few years it has languished at the bottom of the toy bucket, only to be resurrected in a timely fashion! Seriously, I have no idea how/why GK found this and decided to "kill" it on a regular basis, but it cracks me up. Since then, Newt gets quite a thrashing on a nightly basis.

Le Sigh. No Stitches for me ...

Finally (aren't you glad?), I am dismayed because Stitches East is this weekend in Baltimore, and for the first time in two years, I am not going. [Insert sad face.] My usual partner-in-knitting crime, Sharrie, decided that she would do Rhinebeck instead of Stitches this year. Because he is a nice person, The Tim offered to go with me, but I said never mind. Much as I wanted to go, the fact that it would mean spending money for gas, as well as buying something once I got there (I know I couldn't look and not buy anything!), made me think that with the whole employment situation being iffy, it would make more sense to stay put. Next year, I've heard it's in Hartford, Connecticut, so I know I won't make it. Not like I need anything, as you can probably imagine, but I'm sure you can also appreciate how fun it is to go.

Such is life. I shall survive, I'm certain, and I have plenty of projects - knitting-related and otherwise - to occupy my weekend. But I'm counting on any of you who do get the chance to go, to post about it, complete with pictures, so that I can be there vicariously!

12 comments:

Jenn said...

I can't stop laughing over the mental image of your cats killing a Newt effigy! I think if we had one of those laying around, I would give it an occasional kick, just for fun.

Ann said...

I want a Newt Hoot!!

Mistrmi said...

Oh, my. The number of possible pet dolls running through my noggin at the moment. . .

teabird said...

Love, love, love the Newt story. He has to be one of the worst human beings ever to be a politician. Garden Kitty has more sense than that man. Go for it, Garden Kitty - bite him once (or twice) for me!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I've never been to any yarn show, ever. Not even once :(

Why is it that your pets mirror your political views? What's in that catnip anyway.

I didn't know that you worked for the senate. Very cool. Do tell more.

Anonymous said...

All I managed was a congratulations post. Stupid internet still isn't up at work - cannot work without it!! Sadly, there was plenty of boxes and furniture to put away and move around.

Too funny about your cat. Your pets do seem to mirror your politics! Mine prefers world domination to democracy, in any form.

Anonymous said...

it's funny you mentioned victorino as i want him to be the one who impregnates me...

i'm just glad the elections is over and i feel like i finally move on w/ my life w/o the fear of a mccain-bot and hockey bitch term...viva la revolution!! ;)

Knitterary said...

I worked in government for a while, too, though mine was at the state level. It's eye-opening, and not always in a good way, but it does turn us into even bigger politics junkies, doesn't it?

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Pardon my ignorance, a Newt Hoot?

I didn't go to any of the usual knitting events this year, because I usually lose my mind, and come home with things I really didn't want.

Lynn said...

You are not the only one who didn't post abt the presidential election. Neither did I, but I like to think of myself as Switzerland. I'm where everybody goes to get away from govt! LOL

Brigitte said...

Oh, that Garden Kitty!

One of the trainers from Head Office in Winnipeg ("Super Max", as we refer to it), looks exactly like Ned Flanders. Last time he was down, I could barely look at him in the face because I was afraid I'd burst out laughing.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Garden Kitty!