04 January 2024

Recent Things

Hello all! I hope that 2024 has treated you well so far. Our New Year's Eve was quiet. As usual, The Tim decided to "take a nap" which meant he was just gone for the night. The problem is, he was in the room where we watch TV and once he is asleep, there is no way to wake him up. So my choice was to sit and listen to him snore while sitting in the semi-darkness (because of course he turned down the lights), or go downstairs, read for a while, and then watch the ball drop on my own. Last year this same choice presented itself, and instead of just removing myself and doing my thing, I sulked and let my feelings be hurt. This year I chose the going downstairs option and enjoyed it quite a bit. I also felt like I had a small moment of personal growth by making that choice. 

In any case, I've been enjoying the season overall. I forgot to tell you that I made gingerbread muffins the weekend before Christmas. I have a yellowed photocopy from a cookbook of colonial-era recipes that I borrowed long ago from a library. It is supposedly the recipe for Martha Washington's gingerbread, but I can't swear to that. Anyway, I've always made muffins instead of just the gingerbread, and this is my most favorite recipe. It's not hard, but there are a few steps you have to do ahead of time.



For reasons I'll never quite understand, I sometimes get 16 muffins and on occasion get 24. I always use the same muffin pans, so go figure. But the most important thing is that they are full of YUM!

During November and December, I didn't keep up with my exercise routine as well as I had been doing (though my companions did better than I did); I didn't abandon it altogether, thank goodness, but I skipped it more than I should have. So in the spirit of "Start as you plan to continue," I took a nice long walk in the morning on New Year's Day. It was pretty cool but so sunny and bright that it was especially nice. I took a route I hadn't taken for a while, and got to say hello to these two:


It was pretty quiet everywhere, so I decided they were quite happy to see me, and wished them a Happy New Year. 😊

Yesterday I spent about an hour out of the house to make various stops around town. In an unusual state of affairs, I actually was able to accomplish and find everything I'd gone out to get! Usually, I am able to be successful with some things but not others, so I guess the planets were aligned accurately for me ...

In the afternoon, I cast on my first new project of the year:


This is the start of a sweater. In the first season of the show "Only Murders In The Building," Selena Gomez was wearing a beautiful, bulky weight, light blue funnel neck sweater and I became obsessed with finding a pattern for one. I couldn't find the exact thing, but found a pattern that I liked well enough to try. Then in December, Knit Picks had a sale and I bought some bulky yarn to make said sweater. The yarn is much more of a light blue than the photo shows, and so far I'm enjoying the knit. Though I'm not generally a big fan of bulky knits. But this particular thing just struck me, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. So hopefully this will turn out well enough that I'll be pleased with it. The good thing is that since I don't usually use this weight of yarn, I am pleasantly surprised with how quickly you make progress in your knitting!

Today is a laundry day, organize some things day, take a walk day, and whatever else I decide fits into it day. Tomorrow I have my mammogram first thing, which brings me to my annual question of why don't they only charge me 50% of the cost since I have only one breast to scan? I mean, I know the answer in the grand scheme of things, but it still always seems a little unfair. But since that is first thing in the morning, and will hopefully go by without incident, I'll have the rest of the day to decide what else I want/need/feel like doing.

What have you been up to this week? I'm enjoying myself, and am reminded again of how much I enjoy being at home with the kit kats and The Tim when he is here, even if I'm doing laundry or something else unexciting. Let's hope that continues in 2024 as well.

5 comments:

Dee said...

Sometimes a laid-back, no surprises, regular ol' day is just what one needs.

Araignee said...

There is no better knitting experience than when you are all fired up because you saw someone wearing something you had to have. It's usually not only a good product but a good memory.

Kim in Oregon said...

Ii'm just trying to get back into the overall swing of things, whatever that might be.

KSD said...

I hope we all have a calm and happy 2024, whatever that means for each of us.

andrea said...

I love a quiet chunk of time to putter alone! What a gift to give yourself.

Also those muffins look incredible! I love gingerbread anything and muffins are so much easier to be enticed to eat than a slice of quick bread, imo