29 March 2024

Good Friday FO: Birthday Socks

Well, OK it just so happens that I am writing this post on Good Friday. But I had these socks finished weeks ago, I'm just finally getting around to sharing the FO. 

With thanks of course to Alfie, who made it all possible ... 😂

Project: Birthday Socks
Yarn: Freckled Whimsy Serendipity Sock, Colorway Pisces
Needles: US size 0/ 2mm
Pattern: my own vanilla sock pattern

Notes: I have had this yarn for a couple of years, but every year would forget about it until well after my birthday. This year, I made sure that I put the sock set where I would see it, and finally, I could knit myself a pair of birthday socks! 

I didn't plan for this to be my birthday cast-on, rather I wanted to be able to wear them on my birthday. I started them in early February, so that I'd have plenty of time to finish them. Which turned out to be a good idea, since for a few weeks I lost my mojo, and I was also working on other projects, so my knitting time was divided among three different types of knitting.

The first sock was finished pretty quickly - that was before I lost my mojo. But the second sock suffered a bit, but I was still determined to get them ready for my birthday. And I did, finishing them a little bit more than a week ahead of time. I happily wore them on my birthday, and can attest to them being very comfortable, even though it was an unusually warm day for March. 


I really love the finished pair. The sock set came with the bright turquoise blue yarn for the cuffs, heels, and toes (I just did cuffs and toes). They are a closely related pair, but not identical, which is always fine with me. 

*****

As I mentioned above, today is Good Friday for Christians who observe the Easter season, with Easter itself on Sunday. My niece Amanda and her husband Pat are coming tomorrow to spend an overnight with us. We are looking forward to it, since they were not able to be here last year, and we really missed seeing them! This also means the return of the Inappropriate Easter Egg Contest, and it seems there are an overabundance of possible themes for this year! I have a really great idea (if a highly rude and inappropriate one) for an egg, but my challenge is also the drawing of my idea, so we'll see if I have any luck with that. I've considered a couple of ways it might work out, but the plan in my head doesn't always translate to the work of my hands, LOL. So we'll see.

If you celebrate, I wish you a very Happy Easter! If you do not celebrate, I hope you have a wonderful last weekend of March, doing what you like. 

I'll see you next week!

6 comments:

Araignee said...

Happy Inappropriate Easter Egg Day!!!!
The socks look great. I love those bold stripes.

Kim in Oregon said...

Love your socks! Love your new image at the top of the blog! Love the kitty!

Happy Easter, and I can't wait for the inappropriate eggs.

KSD said...

Hey, Alfie lends support on his own timeline.

Always anxious to see your Easter eggs!

Nance said...

Great finish!

I'm so glad for you that Inappropriate Easter Eggs are making a triumphant return. It's long overdue. Can't wait for the recap.

karen said...

Happy Easter! the socks are lovely and I love your cheerful header.

Kym said...

What lovely stripes!!!! (And Alfie! Sweet kitty!!!) I hope you enjoyed a lovely Easter. XO