16 November 2016

Linking Up (Which Is Not the Same As Hooking Up)

Well, how are you today?  I will admit to still feeling somewhat discombobulated, frustrated, and depressed, but fortunately my brain is returning to its more active state every day.  It's hard to believe the world changed so much just a week ago.  Feels like years, at least to me.

But I thought I'd share some links that you might find interesting, useful, or just plain enjoyable since I know that I always like to see what others offer for my perusal. Admittedly, there is not a lot of variety here, but I still think it's worth sharing.

This article from New York magazine is well worth your time to read.  It is well-written, and contains some excellent observations.

I know that a lot of us are trying to decide what to do next, who might need our help, or how we can make a difference at even the most basic level since the election.  This list is a good place to start.

Do you occasionally find that you've been led to click on a headline or an article, only to find that it falls into the category of "fake news" or clickbait?  (I think it's safe to say it's happened to all of us at least once.)  Or some are parody/satire sites that seem so "real" they often suck people in - a la The Onion, which I have to say is one of my favorites!  Anyway, here's a list of some of the sites.  It's not comprehensive, but it might keep you from getting sucked in.

Switching gears somewhat, did any of you see the movie "The Goodbye Girl" years ago, with Richard Dreyfus and Marsha Mason?  Do you remember the little girl - Quinn Cummings - who played Marsha Mason's daughter in that movie?  Well, she is an adult now, and I came across her on Twitter, and let me tell you, I love her so much!  She's witty, observant, as well as a person who provides foster homes to kittens!  Her commentary, particularly related to the newly elected person whose name shall not be mentioned (who she calls "Giant Toddler"), as well as comments that are "responses" to beauty magazine headlines ("Five Ways to Look Young Forever"), is so spot on as well as often viscerally bruising, she is one of my new heroes.

On another topic altogether - the holiday season - I found these two pieces that I thought were worth sharing:

First up - a tutorial on how to make a quilted, holiday-themed table runner that is not only pretty straightforward (if you sew, of course!), but great-looking!  I see some of these in my future, both as gifts but also for myself.  Probably not this year, but fortunately Christmastime rolls around each year.

And then, as a way to remind children - and adults - that the Christmas/holiday season is about kindness and happiness for others as well as ourselves, this idea of a type of Advent calendar.  I'm thinking of making it simpler for myself, maybe a decorated jar or box with slips of paper that have something on them for the 24 days leading up to Christmas.  As she suggests, as simple as holding a door for someone, or paying for their coffee.  I love the holiday season so much, but often wish I could think of more ways to help others.  Even if they are small acts, if they are done sincerely, it's a gift to everyone involved.

That's what I've got for you today.  I hope you'll enjoy poking around.


7 comments:

Bonny said...

You've collected lots of interesting stuff here. The NY Post article led me to another article that concluded with George Washington's farewell speech and his concerns about the presidency - fascinating stuff. I'm planning on handing that list of fake news sites to several people I know that believe everything they read. I was surprised there are so many sites and will be more wary myself.

Araignee said...

That table runner would have been right up Daddio's ally. That reminds me I have his last Christmas quilt in the works. I need to pull that out.
After watching John Oliver I am going to only ask for donations this year for Christmas. Every year we make a list of 6 things we want and pass it out. My list will include the ACLU, Planned Parenthood and NPR. I also want a subscription to one of the newspapers Trump wants to muzzle. Even though I'm finding it hard to stomach the news, we need to keep it coming. Real news that is...not that fake stuff.

Vera said...

Interesting links - thanks Bridget! Love the term "Giant Toddler." So true.

Kym said...

Great collection of stuff here, Bridget! I am most appreciative of the list of "fake news" (etc.) sites. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The Katie Cavuto blog looks pretty interesting. I'll be following that one.

Tired Teacher said...

The last paragraph of the New York article is powerful, and I'm glad you shared the link. Throughout the campaign I kept second-guessing my impressions and opinions of Trump. I simply do not understand what those who followed and then voted for him saw as presidential qualities. I didn't see them then, and I definitely don't see them now. I have never had such feelings of dread and fear of the future. I can only pray that Congress comes to its senses and stands up to Trump and his ludicrous ideas and schemes.

Lydia said...

trying to deal with the 1 year passing of my oldest son-puts things in a different perspective.