25 November 2016

So I Had This Idea ...

Hello!  Happy day after Thanksgiving!  I hope yours was good and yummy and cozy.  Ours was slightly different than usual, which I'll share in another post.  But of course it was good because we were all here together for the whole day.

I was watching the parade yesterday, and saw a commercial where one of the people opened up a Christmas card and smiled.  And I thought about how I do love to get Christmas cards (or any snail mail, really).  Last year was somewhat disappointing in that way, since we only received a few actual cards in the  mail.  I know that people are increasingly sending electronic greetings both for convenience and for environmental reasons.  I know that I'm grateful when I realize that someone's birthday is  nearly here, and a card sent in the mail would be late, that I can still send my good wishes in time.  But in the end, there is  nothing I like more than actually getting a card (or even a letter!) in the mail.

I even use the cards we receive as part of our decorations!
(This is from a few years back)

So I had an idea, and wondered if anyone else might like it too.  I thought it might be fun to have a little holiday card exchange, for those who are interested.  Here's how it would work:

* The Great 2016 Holiday Snail Mail Card Exchange *

1.  Each person would agree to send a holiday card via snail mail to the others on the list.  Nothing else is required, just your signature if you want it to be as minimal as possible.  No gift items, no packages to send, simply a card to let someone know you took time to think about them.

2.  Anyone interested can e-mail their name and mailing address to me before midnight EST on Friday, December 2 (a week from today).  

3.  I compile the list, and e-mail it to all of the other participants no later than midnight EST on Monday, December 5 (a week from this coming Monday).

4.  Every participant sends out their cards no later than Tuesday, December 20.

5.  Recipients open their cards and smile.

Now I know that everyone gets really busy this time of year, so if you don't think you can do it, or if you are just plain not interested, that's fine.  But for those who think they would like to be part of it, please join me in spreading an extra little bit of holiday cheer to each other.

If you decide to participate, please send an e-mail with your full name and mailing address to me at: baclancyATverizonDOTnet by midnight next Friday, and we can get started!

*For those of you who do have environmental concerns related to this, I can say that most cards are recyclable.  If you don't want to immediately put them into the recycling bin, you can use the fronts or parts of the front for gift tags next year.  In our area, there are local charities who will take the front of cards that have no handwriting on the back, and use them as gift tags for things they give out.  And you can send all or any greeting cards all-year-round here to be re-used.  So there are various options.

4 comments:

Araignee said...

I'm in!!! Any reason to make cards works for me.

Mereknits said...

Bridget, it is a brilliant idea, but I am passing as I have so much going on with Little B and his health.

Nance said...

I'm not a Christmas Card Person, but I hope that those who are enjoy this lovely plan!

My mother still sends outs cards to everyone at 86, and I always taped our cards up as decoration when living at home. Enjoy your new Christmas Tradition!

Alyssa said...

I'm in! I donate old Christmas card pieces to the St. Jude Ranch! They take the cards, make collages from them, and then sell them to raise money. Here is the link: https://www.stjudesranch.org/contribute/recycled-card-program/