30 November 2016

November Is Ending

So yes, today is the last day in November, that last day of NaBloPoMo.  I'm happy that I decided to play along again this year.  The only time it was a challenge to post was last weekend, when I was sick, and then I realized that my post saying I couldn't say much counted ... :-)  But seriously, I enjoyed it.  I like that it forced me to sit down and actually organize thoughts and turn them into posts.  I compose so many posts in my head that never actually see the light of day.

I was thinking about this November, though, and it feels like the beginning of the month was so long ago.  Everyone was so excited about the upcoming election.  I remember when I actually cast my vote, I teared up, because I never ever thought that during my lifetime, I would be able to vote for a woman to be President.  And though I have no immediate plans to depart from this vale of tears, I do sometimes feel that it might have been my one and only time.  After Election Day, it just all seemed so sad, then upsetting, then infuriating.  I feel like it overshadowed any of  the good that happened.  Which is too bad.

Because there was good.  People found new ways to connect with each other.  Birthdays and anniversaries were celebrated.  Thanksgiving showed up right on time and helped to remind us of the importance of being in the present.  Several people were motivated to some sort of activism, which is never a bad thing when you are standing up for your beliefs.  Fall colors surrounded us, reminding everyone that ultimately, we are not the ones in charge.  For all of the horrific things that happened, good people pulled together and helped.  And if you are reading this, it means you woke up on the alive side of things, which is always a good thing.

Part of me is sorry to see November leave, because usually it's a month I really enjoy.  Though I had happy times related to special events, I think this year I'm ready for it to move along.  I sincerely want to be here to see it again next year, and hope that it will go back to being the kind of month it usually has been.

Goodbye, November.  I hope during the next year you have the chance to get over the turbulence of this year, and can come back to us ready to be enjoyed.

May you always have walls for the winds,
a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire,
laughter to cheer you, those you love near you,
and all your heart may desire.
-- an Irish blessing



Thanks to all of you for stopping by and reading this month (and always, of course).  Part of the fun of NaBloPoMo is hearing from you more often than I might otherwise.

On to December, with hopes for the best it can bring to us!

11 comments:

Bonny said...

You've captured the the good and bad of November so well! I I feel much the same about NaBloPoMo - glad I did it, but equally glad to regain some of the time I spent composing posts for reading, knitting, and life. Here's to good things in December!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were here to blog all through November.

It's one of my favorite months too. December ---- not so much. But, I'm doing my best to take life "a day at a time" and not get too stressed about things I can actively change.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

November was definitely a month of ups and downs (mostly downs) for most people I know (including me!). Here's to December being happy and hopeful!

Tired Teacher said...

I enjoyed reading your November posts.

Araignee said...

It was comforting to be able to share the "feels" of this month with those who were there to pick me up daily. Let's hope next November brings us better things to bond over.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

I could not have said it better!

handmade by amalia said...

Well said! I hope you have a wonderful start to December.
Amalia
xo

Kym said...

Thanks for another NaBloPoMo! I enjoyed visiting every day. Here's to a merry-and-bright December!

elns said...

A great post Bridget. "I compose so many posts in my head that never actually see the light of day." This sums up my my blog feelings in a nutshell. I'll have to participate in the posting challenge next year.

I'm glad you are able to savage November with some positive. There is a lot of good out there/here in the world and we should embrace it. It doesn't mean that we stick our heads in the sand, but ... some things take longer than other. I know I'm doing what I can where I can for myself and others.

Mereknits said...

I love November because it usually cools off a bit and I can pretend my leaves are changing. This November not so much, with all the election stress, which I am still feeling, I have to admit this has not been my favorite time of year.
Hugs to you,
M

Nance said...

You summed it up beautifully. Hope you are feeling better each day.