10 November 2016

September and October Harry's Hundred Update

Hello again.  I am so glad that my little message from yesterday was well-received by at least all of those who commented (and hopefully for any lurkers as well).  It's funny - I have been trying for so many months to find good things to think about, do, and act upon, because I needed to think of ways to keep myself afloat; and now I need it more than ever, but I'm glad for my mental state that I was already trying.  I think that otherwise I would have just sunk to a depth that would be really hard to move from anytime soon.  So I hope that post was able to do anything even remotely small to help you.  If not, please know I tried. 

Edited to add: If you have a blog from Blogger, I'm not ignoring you - but for the past three days, I have not been able to comment on any blogspot.com posts at all unless the comments are moderated; it tells me to "Select Profile" and then nothing happens.  Sigh.  (I have no idea why, but I'll keep trying to figure it out.)

*********

Let's move on to something else positive, which makes me feel better, and should make plenty of others feel better as well.  It's time for a Harry's Hundred update.

September

Thank God for Kim's contribution, because the past two months, I'm afraid I have added nothing.  I'm hoping once my gift knitting is finished (so close!), I can at least end the year on a good note.  

Anyway, Kim contributed these two items, a hat and a cowl.  Am I the only one who absolutely loves the colors, and would actually wear them together?  The other thing i appreciate here is the reminder that a cowl is a perfect contribution - in some ways, easier to wear than a scarf!  



October

October was a really good month for the project!

Before I forget, the same Kim from above sent me an e-mail saying that she knit 5 hats and sent them off,  but forgot to take pictures.  FIVE HATS - that's a LOT!

Next up, another wonderful project and idea.  This is a pillow knit by redindian (Rav link), and this is the note she sent to me about it:

"There are going to be lots more like this as the house my group are knitting for will house fifteen previously homeless, mostly men and we hope to knit or crochet a blanket and a pillow for each of them." 



How great of an idea is that?  I mean, having your own blanket and pillow - that would have to make you feel loved and safer, right?

Next up, another set of fun mittens from GringaTurista (Rav link) - I love how they are the same but different, and have nice pops of color for cold, wintry days!


And then, something for babies!  This is a sample of booties knit by marjos (Rav link).  Her knitting group is making these as well as socks for a Belgian knitting group collecting them for babies in Senegal.  She said in her note that 25 pairs - TWENTY-FIVE of them!! - were sent as part of Harry's Hundred.  AMAZING.   Baby toes will be so cozy and colorful in these. :-)


I have to say, that I am also happy because there are people knitting, crocheting, etc. for this project and not just sending things all over the world, but the crafters themselves are from all over.  Especially in our current world, knowing that there are people all over who want to contribute makes me feel so very happy.

OK, guys here's where we are as of today's date:

Goal:  100
Tally so far:  76

DO YOU SEE THAT?  We still have two months left, and we are nearly at 100 items!  I am overwhelmed, grateful, and touched.  And I have to tell you, my dad would be smiling from ear-to-ear.

A humongous THANK YOU to all who contributed, not just this month, but so far - there are others who are, and will be, having a slightly better time of it because of your kindness and good thoughts.  And isn't that something worth celebrating?

I know it makes me feel hopeful, and right now especially, that counts for a lot.

9 comments:

Bonny said...

I've been meaning to knit something for Harry's Hundred for a while, but this post has made me feel so hopeful that I'm going to go cast on a hat NOW. Thank you for doing this, to all the knitters and crocheters from all over, and for reminding me that there is still plenty of good in the world.

kathy b said...

Great post! Wonderful donations.
I have two to add. I am sending 2 shawls/scarves to the scarf project at the yarn shop String THeory Yarn in Glen Ellyn

The Pillow idea is fabulous!

That's a lot of little boots TOO!!!

Bridget said...

Bonny, I'm glad I could help - after all, we all want to move forward, and there are many paths on that route. :-)

Kathy - HOORAY!!! Thank you so much for these two additions to the November update. :-) (P.S. If you have pictures, please share them.)

KSD said...

Those mittens rock. I like to do that sort of thing --- make things match, but not really.

We're rebels, you and I.

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't smile looking at all those adorable baby booties!

Kym said...

I, too, have been planning to knit something for your Most Excellent Project. Now that the deadline is near, I had better get to it! Thanks for such an uplifting post at such a despairing moment in time. XO

Araignee said...

Wow!!! That's just amazing and they are all such wonderful projects. Nothing slap dash about any of them.

karen said...

with your blogger commenting problem. Clear cache and cookies in your browser and see if that helps at all.

Lovely projects and my you have been a busy bee!!

Judy S. said...

What a great project! Kudos to you and all those who contributed.