10 October 2008

The Letter T; and FO sighting on Ravelry!

As promised earlier in the week, it's time for the letter T in the ABC-Along 2008.

T is for Tess!

I knew that for this letter, I wanted to use pictures of our oldest cat, Tess. The problem was getting a picture of her to use that showed her face, which is actually quite pretty.

This was my first attempt, and of course the second I snapped the photo, she put her head down. I have this labeled in my pictures folder as "Tess ignoring me."



I got a little bit closer one morning, while she was eating breakfast. Once again, I snapped the picture, and she moved her head, this time to eat.


The thing is, you don't mess with Tess. She is not the most accommodating of cats, and though she is quite affectionate in her own way, it is strictly on her terms. Simply put, if you don't do things her way, on her time schedule, you can often end up bloodied. We adopted her as a stray, and I have always suspected that she was owned by someone who abused her, which caused some of her behavior problems. With age she has mellowed somewhat (meaning we are all not nearly as bloodied!), but it's still best to, um, stay on her good side ...

In the end, I had to swipe a picture taken of her by Carol, during a recent visit. Of course she cooperated for Carol. (They all did.)

As you can see, she is pretty scruffy, and it's not just due to old age - she's always been scruffy! I used to spend way too much time trying to brush her fur to look nice and sleek. In the end, we'd still have a fuzzcat, and I'd be covered in scratches ... But the look suits her, and she is quite pleased to remain "natural."

In knitting news ...

Earlier in the week, I finished another project that is to be a Christmas gift. I was happy to finish, because I had gotten somewhat behind on my gift projects, and finishing something made me feel like I was back on track. This is another time when I can't show you the FO, since the recipient checks in here regularly. Now, granted, she wouldn't necessarily know if they were for her or not, but I would prefer that the surprise is total, so this is another case where you'll have to wait for the year-end wrap-up.

Unless you are on Ravelry. In that case, go here.

That's it for now. My niece La Liz, her husband Greg, and little Zach are coming for a weekend visit tomorrow, and we are really looking forward to it. The weather is going to be nice, so hopefully everyone will have a good time. I'm sure I'll have a picture or twenty to share with you the next time I check in ...

8 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Tess is very pretty - I'm glad you found a photo where we could see her face!

"You know what" came out great! Well done - she'll love it :)

Bookfool said...

Tess is lovely. Scruffy is fine. My mother had a cat we suspect was abused -- never a nice animal (she had a tendency to hiss and swipe, although she was declawed), but she was a beauty.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- I think Tess is lovely. She has the natural look.

Mistrmi said...

Tess is like all high-strung supermodels --- she has her favorite photographers.

Brigitte said...

Heh, Miss Tess sounds like a good mix of Atticus and Mae. Mae will not pose for a photograph (for me anyway...), and Atticus is the old cranky curmudgeon, who likes things his way!

What a pretty face she has.

Tracy said...

Hi, Bridget! Tess is a great beauty...what joy to see her sweet face! Happy Day ((HUGS))

knitseashore said...

Tess isn't scruffy; she's beautiful. What an expressive face (when you can capture it!). Give her a hug for me. Gently, of course.

Anonymous said...

Oh cute!

Tess too. Carol got a really good snapshot of her.

I hope you a good weekend visit! Wow, it's practically Wednesday. I hate tax deadlines.