18 August 2009

Eek! Steeks!

Well, I did it. It's done. It worked. I'm not sure why I was so worried.

The Dotty vest has had the neck and arm steeks cut.

(Hmm, now it actually looks like a vest ...)

Below: armhole steek (left), and v-neck steek (right)


As is the case with a lot of things, thinking about it was a lot worse than actually doing it. The biggest problem was getting the sewing machine threaded properly, to make the seams that would anchor the stitches! The actual cutting was somewhat mesmerizing - I mean, you could hear the scissors cutting through your knitting, and though it was shocking, it was also in a way fun.

I realize that for a lot of you, this is a ho-hum, so-what moment. But this was a big step for me, knitting-wise. In the category of I-know-people-do-it-but-I-probably-never-will. I am very proud of myself, not just because I cut the steeks without huge problems, but because I even got to that point in the first place!

Now I have to pick up stitches for the neckline and armholes, and then tack down the steeks. But then Dotty will be finished - and in a month or so, we may even have appropriate weather for it to be worn. You bet your life there will be pictures!

12 comments:

Carrie K said...

Whoo hoo!! Congratulations, Bridget!

The first one is really scary but it's so much fun too.

And there's something about cutting the first steek that made me feel like a 'real' knitter. Not that otherwise I was a piker, but it just.......did.

Maureen said...

Yee haw!! There's NO stopping you now!

Carol said...

Congrats! It's totally a leap of faith to CUT your knitting.... Can't wait to see Dotty in finished form!

teabird said...

I'm having the vapors just thinking of steeking -- and your vest looks GREAT.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- It is scary the first time, but after that, it's nothing. (I am referring to steeks here).

Well done, and we want to see pictures.

SissySees said...

Well, considering I can't use a sewing machine... THERE! I don't have to steek any time soon!

Congrats. *I* think it's a BIG DEAL.

Sue V said...

Congratulations. Looks like you did a great job.

Lorette said...

Outstanding! That is going to be a great vest!

Sigrun said...

Wherever possible, I pick up the stitches and knit the edgings (or sleeves) before cutting the steeks. Whenever I do a pattern that calls for only a couple of steek sts. I add more. If I must cut before picking up, I make the steeks a bit wider still.

Chris said...

Eek! Steeks! Shrieks!

Kathleen Dames said...

Congratulations on the steek! You can hear the scissors going through your knitting?!? OK, now that I'm mastering two-handed fair isle, I guess a steek is my next challenge. Thanks for the inspiration!

Brigitte said...

*sniff* I'm so proud! *sniff*

See? Told ya there was nothing to it! And Dotty is not in the least bit pissed at you that you would subject her to scissors.