14 June 2014

MDSW Wrap-Up

Well, as promised, here is the post about what I purchased this year at Maryland Sheep and Wool.

I think if a few years ago, you told me that I would go to a fiber festival and not buy any fiber at all, I would have wondered what you were smoking.  But in the last few years, I have actually become more circumspect about my yarn purchasing.   This is not to say that I still don't need to cull my stash, but each time I do it, there's less stuff there that I don't want/wonder why I bought it in the first place.

My new personal rule for MDSW has become:  If you feel that you have to have it, because you won't see it anywhere else, or it just really strikes you, then buy it.  Otherwise, admire it and move on.  To be honest, this has worked well the last couple of times I've attended.  So I can't say you'll never see new yarn here after I take the trip, but it won't be a given.

Anyway, here are pictures of almost everything I bought, except for two items.  At the booth for Jennie the Potter, I bought a small ceramic bowl with a crab holding knitting needles painted onto it.  I can't get a good photo of it to save my life.  Anyhow, I bought it to put on the dresser in my bedroom, to hold my watches and some pieces of jewelry that I wear nearly every single day.  I also bought a pair of small ceramic earrings with sheepy faces on them.  Again, no photo was possible, at least given my non-expertise.

But here are the things I was able to photograph.

When we first arrived, there was a very young girl selling these stone garden markers for a quarter.  She was so cute, and so sincere, I bought this one for The Tim's cucumber plants.


And in one of the booths in the Main Building, there was a set-up with all kinds of woven items.  I'm not usually one for ponchos, but this caught my eye, and I kept thinking about it, so at the end of the day I treated myself to it.  I've already worn it several times, and received many compliments.  I like that it is something that doesn't *have* to be worn poncho-style, and can also look like a really pretty woven wrap.

So that is my small but pleasing haul from this year's festival.  I enjoyed seeing all of the yarn purchases on the bus coming back to Philadelphia, but never felt a moment of regret that I didn't buy yarn for myself.  :-)

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

Bridget- I admire your restraint because I tend to lose my mind at these things.

Love Jennie the Potter-

kathy b said...

awww cucumber rocks are darling.

It is easy to drown in yarn, you did very well with your purchase

Nancy said...

The poncho is gorgeous - enjoy!

I've been able to resist purchasing yarn and fabric, too. Now, I can concentrate on using what I already have.

Mereknits said...

Wow you do have such restraint! I am in love with the woven poncho, I wonder how it is constructed?
Hugs to you,
Meredith

sprite said...

I came home with seven skeins of yarn, my biggest haul in years. That said, I went with the intention of buying six of them, and all six are now being used in two shawls I'm knitting for special friends' special birthdays. Yes, I could have used stash yarn, but it felt nice to pick out yarn that worked specifically for my friends and with each other. And that last impulse skein? Stripey sock yarn in colors that Rudi went gaga over when he saw it.

Caffeine Girl said...

You have amazing self-control. I do love your new wrap. Totally worth it!