15 March 2016
Just What You Need
For this week's Ten on Tuesday, Carole wants us to list My 10 Favorite Comfort Foods.
Granted, a lot of food that is comfort food is not health food for your body - but often it's just what you need for your soul, right?
Here's my list.
1. Mashed potatoes. Any potato is good, but mashed potatoes make everything better.
2. Tea. I know it's technically a drink, but there is nothing for me that a cup of tea cannot fix or at least help.
3. Spaghetti. It doesn't have to have meatballs, either, though in our house, veggie meatballs are a treat.
4. Rice. When I was a little kid, I had a bowl of rice (Minute Rice at that!) with soy sauce nearly every morning for breakfast. Though I've moved on from Minute Rice, rice itself still makes me happy.
5. Chocolate. Any form. Because it's chocolate.
6. Macaroni and cheese. I make my own, and though the recipe is a basic one, it does vary based on what we do or don't have.
7. Toast with butter. Tea and toast is the ultimate comfort breakfast for me.
8. Oatmeal. Hot oatmeal on a cold winter day takes away the horribleness of having to go to work,and warms you up from the inside.
9. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Sometimes a certain food is just right for a certain time and place, but these come to mind first when I think of the term "comfort food."
And now I'm hungry ...
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Minus the peanut butter, your list and mine would be the same! I do soynut butter these days but the idea is the same. Good stuff.
Chocolate, now why didn't I think of that!
Great list :)
Just like you, I had to include tea on my list. There is a good reason that cups of strong, hot tea always appear during difficult times in English novels!
Oh oh! Good stuff. We can be friends!! I am with you on #1. I always say that mashed potatoes are like a hug for your belly on the inside. I love rice. I'm sorry, I like white rice best, you can't undo an entire childhood. I'm with you on tea, though in general I gravitate towards coffee if my caffeine intake is minimal. And lastly. I love toast. Cinnamon toast and toast with berry jam -- especially homemade:)
Oh I the post and answers give me a big smile! Wishing you well!
When we were kids Cream of Wheat or Cream of Rice was the cereal of choice in the winter. That always said "comfort" to me.
I can't eat that anymore ---- but I sure do remember it fondly.
The other one is PB&J ---- still love me some PB&J.
MMMM So many of my comfort foods are a no no for now. I miss rice, I miss bread, .......Your list was delicious to read
Oh, we would SO be able to wait out an apocalypse together! Mashed potatoes FTW.
For me, basically, it's still my mom's cooking :-)
Post a Comment