15 March 2016
Just What You Need
For this week's Ten on Tuesday, Carole wants us to list My 10 Favorite Comfort Foods.
Granted, a lot of food that is comfort food is not health food for your body - but often it's just what you need for your soul, right?
Here's my list.
1. Mashed potatoes. Any potato is good, but mashed potatoes make everything better.
2. Tea. I know it's technically a drink, but there is nothing for me that a cup of tea cannot fix or at least help.
3. Spaghetti. It doesn't have to have meatballs, either, though in our house, veggie meatballs are a treat.
4. Rice. When I was a little kid, I had a bowl of rice (Minute Rice at that!) with soy sauce nearly every morning for breakfast. Though I've moved on from Minute Rice, rice itself still makes me happy.
5. Chocolate. Any form. Because it's chocolate.
6. Macaroni and cheese. I make my own, and though the recipe is a basic one, it does vary based on what we do or don't have.
7. Toast with butter. Tea and toast is the ultimate comfort breakfast for me.
8. Oatmeal. Hot oatmeal on a cold winter day takes away the horribleness of having to go to work,and warms you up from the inside.
9. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Sometimes a certain food is just right for a certain time and place, but these come to mind first when I think of the term "comfort food."
And now I'm hungry ...