Since I haven't posted five favorites for a while, I thought I'd do it again today. It's always good to remember things that make you happy, and to have a happy outlook heading into the weekend.
1. Getting a start on our garden. Last Sunday, I spent some time sweeping and cleaning up in the garden. We generally don't go out and clean it up at all during fall and winter, so there are always lots of leaves to deal with, as well as anything else that has blown in (I'm looking at you, plastic bags) or been dropped by squirrels and others. I really accomplished a lot, and hopefully this year we'll be able to enjoy it for a while before it gets too hot and humid to be outside. I'm hoping to find some flowers to plant so there will be some happy color.
If I may digress for a moment, I have a funny story from when I was out there. Jetsam and Jack went out into the garden with me (Pip and the Koodle found the broom too scary, and stayed inside - wimps!), and they were having a good time, chasing bugs and just hanging out. When it was time to come in, Jetsam came over to the door and went right inside. I went to pick up Jack, and he ran away and "hid" in the bushes. So I walked around the garden saying, "Jack, where did you go? I hope you're not lost!" and all of sudden he popped up, and ran over to me as if to say, "Surprise! I'm right here!" I picked him up and put him in the house, and he was *so* pleased with himself. He went over to Jetsam all happy with his plan to have fooled me. And I swear that Jetsam just looked at him with an expression that said, "Dumbass."
It was really funny. At least to me. Anyway.
2. Almost finishing the Mojito socks. I love these socks and have enjoyed knitting them so much, I kinda hate that they will be done. But on the other hand, I know that when I open my Box 'o Socks in 2018, I will be thrilled to see and wear them. Also, they will be a happy reminder of our trip to Puerto Rico.
3. Deciding (well, at least 90% deciding) one of my next projects. I came across the Sonora pattern, and fell in love! I love it's basic-but-complicated look, and I think it would be fun to knit. I'm not sure what yarn I will use - I have a ton of fingering/sock weight yarn, but generally one skein only of any given color, and this pattern calls for two skeins of one color and another skein of contrasting color. I'm gonna do some stash exploration this weekend. If nothing else, I may actually break down and buy yarn for it. On the website, there are some suggestions for pairings using the yarn it was designed for, and they are lovely. But I'll see what I have before doing any spending. Next will be deciding what yarn/pattern to use for my next pair of socks. There are *a lot* of choices there, no purchasing required!
4. Brownies. The Tim made brownies last weekend, and we have been enjoying one with a cup of tea in the evenings this week. YUM.
5. Anticipation. Specifically, related to two things that are coming up. One is a mysterious trek to someplace in NJ for some mysterious reason. The Tim has been talking about this for weeks, and will not provide any details. The only thing I know is that it was supposed to take place last Saturday, but was rained out. So apparently it's partially or completely outside. I'll find out tomorrow. The other thing I'm anticipating is for next weekend, when we are heading to WV for Memorial Day weekend with the family. It's always fun, ridiculous, and a chance to catch up with everyone. Usually some extended family we don't usually see show up, so that's always great too. This year, one of the extended family couples is bringing their dogs - Radar, a 3-year-old yellow Lab, and Mattis, a 9-month-old yellow Lab puppy, who is being trained to be a therapy dog for the Franklin County, Ohio, police dept. (His full name is Mattis K. Nine, and he has his own Facebook page!) As The Tim has pointed out, we have been puppy-deprived, so this will be an extra treat for us!
What about you? What went on this week, or is even coming up, that made you happy? Feel free to share, and have a lovely weekend!
Mattis K. Nine - can you stand it????