24 October 2023

Here You Go - A Tuesday FO!

Hello and Happy Tuesday! I hope you had a good weekend. Ours was nice - the play was a good production, not the best we've seen but it was enjoyable, and nice to have a night out. Then Sunday night I got a text saying that I was excused from jury duty on Monday, which made me happy. Since I had already arranged to have my shift at work covered, I just took a mental health day yesterday..

BTW, I got a lot of comments - not all of them nice - about jury duty giving me anxiety. And yes, I know jury duty is important, and it's not that I've never done it, etc. The main reason I get anxious is because my first time on a jury was when we lived in DC and it was a federal drug case. And yes, it was interesting, but also very intense, scary, and not very pleasant in any way. I always dread ending up with a serious case like that again. In any case, they didn't want me this time, so I get credit for at least a year. Fine with me.

***

But now on the most important thing - I have an FO! And not just any FO, one that means that other than stuff for The Tim and/or the kitties and/or anyone else I decide to knit something for at the last minute, I have finished my holiday gift knitting. 🎉


Project: AJ's Fingerless Mitts
Pattern: Manchester Mitts (Adult), by Kristina Schmidt 
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Wool, colorway Rosemary
Needles: US size 6/4.0 mm
Modifications: None

 

Notes: This is a wonderful pattern. First of all, it's very clearly written, and also quite easy. Using worsted weight yarn, you're finished before you even have time to get bored with the knitting! I made the Medium size, as these are for a teenage boy, and they also fit me. They were a bit tight on my hand model, but he has large hands anyway, so that didn't surprise me.


I highly recommend this pattern for a quick knit that gives you a great result. The thumb gusset adds to the overall attractiveness of the finished items. I can see this becoming a go-to pattern for me. Plus, I have enough yarn left for two more pairs if I wanted to make more.

So the gifts I needed to finish by November 30 in order to send to the recipients in time are done with plenty of time to spare. I'm so glad I got an early start this year and stuck with it.

Now, I'm hoping to finish the Christmas socks for The Tim for his birthday, then make him a replacement pair of fingerless mitts for Christmas, and who knows if I am on a roll, maybe something else? It could happen!

Here's hoping any knitting you have with deadlines goes well for you this year. This is the earliest I've ever finished things. It helps that they were small items, but nonetheless, I don't have to worry about hurrying to beat the calendar.

7 comments:

Vera said...

Nice finish Bridget! Congrats on getting your holiday knitting finished. Woo-Hoo. BTW, when I click on your link it does take me to the pattern, but it is not free...instead it is $6.00!

Kym said...

Those are great mitts, Bridget -- and will be perfect for a young man. :-)
And . . . what is wrong with people???? Anxiety strikes us for a variety of reasons. When we express our anxieties (which are deeply personal), how dare anyone judge us for them? As for jury duty. Well. It can be very anxiety-provoking. For so many reasons. I'm glad your day (and your call to jury duty) ended up as it did, Bridget. (My sister - who gets very claustrophobic - was serving on a jury once. The room was very hot and she was feeling lightheaded, but of course, couldn't do anything to help herself because she was, well . . . trapped. She ended up fainting -- making a complete spectacle of herself in a very serious setting, and feeling quite embarrassed when she came to surrounded by EMTs, having stopped all court proceedings. It was not funny at all, although we do laugh and joke about it now. But there are some very real reasons that people are anxious about jury duty!)

Araignee said...

When my sister was 19 she got called for a murder trial. She was sequestered in a hotel with a roommate for almost a month with guards outside the door 24/7. They could see no TV or have any outside contact. They brought they in some reading materials that were censored. It was a very traumatic experience for her. She was right in the middle of her first semester in nursing school so it really upended her life.

Araignee said...

Oooops....I forgot to say that the mitts are great. I love a good practical mitt that fits well. I live in them during cold weather.

Kim in Oregon said...

I'm all for fast and easy patterns these days! I bought the pattern and will cast on soon (I'm about to cast on a big and pretty shawl, although I guess it isn't that big since there are only about 900 yards in it. Smaller than a sweater i guess).

Go Phillies tonight! Beat them D Bags!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You're allowed to have anxiety about WHATEVER! You don't control what you have anxiety over (I have anxiety over answering the phone - I was a receptionist and a journalist - and it never got better with EITHER job)
And it doesn't matter if your reason is "valid" or not - anxiety is anxiety it's not logical - it doesn't care if Jury duty is important. It's your body responding to a potentially uncomfortable situation.
Why do people feel the need to make comments like that???? It must make them feel superior. GRRRR... pisses me off it you can't tell! lol

Congrats on being well ahead of your deadline! I am on track to finish Dad's sweater on time. There are other things I like to knit, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get to them. I think it's going to be a year of mostly giftcards this year.

WendyKnits said...

I remember years ago a colleague was on a jury for a federal case involving a terrorist. Our agency head told her that if the defendant was not convicted, she would be fired. He was joking of course, but it only added to her anxiety.

I totally get being anxious about jury duty. Stuff that is outside my usual routine always gives me anxiety. Will I find the place? Will I be able to park? an d so on!