02 May 2007

The Tale of the Recycled Kitten

On this date last year, I was on my way to work in the morning, and as I was waiting at a stop light to cross the street, I noticed one of these wedged into a city trash can:


Because I am obsessed with recycling, and knew that this pet carrier was made of cardboard, I decided that once I crossed the street, I would check on this item. If it was not icky or disgusting from being in the trash, I would take it with me, and recycle it. When I picked it up out of the trash can, it meowed!

That's because this is who was inside:

Jetsam, about 3 months old

I don't know why, or how, or when, some idiot put this kitten into a trash can. Especially when a shelter was about three blocks away. But if someone was stupid or cruel enough to do it, it's just as well they didn't keep the kitten.

We did keep the kitten, and named him Jetsam, since he had been "discarded." He is quite a character, and it is impossible to hurt his feelings. As a result, it is nearly impossible to convince him that what he is doing is "bad." You can raise your voice - and he'll purr. You can give him a little bop on the nose or the butt - and he'll purr. You can clap your hands and yell - and, you guessed it - he purrs. As a last resort, you might say, well, squirt him with water. Except that he loves water, and will even take a shower with you if he has the chance!

But he is very sweet, and overall is pretty well-behaved, though he still gets into typical kitten trouble. And he has grown - a LOT! When I brought him home in that discarded carrier, you could pick him up in one hand, and hold him securely. Now you would be likely to break your hand, and throw out your back ...

Jetsam, just over a year old

The moral of this story: Recycling can have benefits that you would never imagine.

16 comments:

Devonshire said...

You are such a kind lady and that is one beautiful cat!!! Don't you just love kitties?

Anonymous said...

What a great story, and what a lucky cat to have such caring people!

mary said...

What a story! What a great person you are for taking in Jetsam. And what a great cat he has become.

Jetsam, you are no minor leaguer in the cat department are you? I believe I could throw out my back just by picking you up. You are one lucky boy, but looks like you know that.

Becky said...

Jetsam looks like our rescued cat, Pesto. They have similar markings. What a precious find in the trash.

Anonymous said...

That is the best recycling story ever! And Jetsam is quite the handsome guy. You're wonderful for rescuing him.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous.

Anonymous said...

My heart almost stopped reading that story. Thank goodness you were there at the right time to rescue that little sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

lucky little guy.

Anonymous said...

Wow a year already. I'm still happy that Tim and Jet bonded, I don't know if I could have handled a rambunctious kitten and James.


But he is still a very sweet boy.
Happy Birthday, Jetsam.

the wicked witch of the east said...

now that you've posted a picture of your kitty on the 'net i feel compelled to tell you that i will kitty-knap him...i think it's only fair that i give you a head's up...

Scarlett said...

I thing your little Abigal put you and Jetsam in the right place at the right time.

Kathleen Dames said...

Oh, I miss my Riley-cat. Jetsam is such a handsome boy. Happy Birthday, kitty!

Lorette said...

Yet another reason to recycle!

Now who in the hell, pardon my language, would throw a kitten in the trash. Some people don't deserve to live.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you found Jetsam. I have one that someone discarded but not as nicely they put him in a paperbag and threw him down the El steps. He came to work with me that morning and now is a very spoiled loved kitty.

Bookfool said...

Our Sunshine was a rescue cat, although she wasn't discarded in such a callous way. I miss her so much. Jetsam is lucky to have you and it sounds like he's a real sweetheart! What a funny, appropriate name. If he had a twin, would it be named Flotsam? :)

Lilly's Mom said...

Such a touching story for a beautiful cat.