10 July 2009

Beachy

You may recall that a couple of weeks ago and last weekend, we spent part of a day at the shore. We usually go to Avalon, New Jersey, which is not that far away, and is relatively quiet as beach towns go. Both days we were fortunate, because the weather was perfect and the other beachgoers were enjoying themselves while managing not to bug everyone else.

As much as I love going to the beach, I spent most of the time under the beach umbrella:

Besides the book I took along, I also got started on Jaywalker Sock #2:

(The Tim is holding it here - I don't have "man hands" like on that "Seinfeld" episode!)

You may remember that I started Sock #1 in 2007, when we were on vacation at Virginia Beach, and just finished it last month. Anyway, I had lots of beach knitting time as well as some time knitting at home, and now I have a pair:


They aren't perfect, but I'm happy with how they turned out, and I will probably try this pattern again, since once you get the hang of it, it's not as complicated as it seems. The best part?

They fit perfectly! I have christened these "Beachy Jaywalkers." (BTW, this picture shows more of the true colors in the yarn.) For those who are interested, here are the details:

Pattern: Jaywalker by Grumperina (Ravelry link)

Yarn: Black Bunny Fibers Handpainted Superwash Merino Classic; colorway Blue Agate

Needles: US 2

Started: September 2007. Completed: July 7, 2009.

Changes: None. I'm lucky I managed to finish the pattern as written - I wasn't about to try to do anything additional/different! Melanie asked me if the fit was a problem, as she has read it is for other people. I haven't worn them for a whole day yet, but when I tried them on, I didn't see any problem with the fit. That's just my experience so far, though. I'll let you know if I decide otherwise once I test them.

In other sock knitting news, I think I have figured out Judy's Magic Cast-on for toe-up socks! By following the illustrations and instructions in Wendy's book, I got it to work after practicing on big needles with big yarn, so I'm hoping I can "translate" it to actual sock yarn.

Now I can decide what to knit next without feeling like I'm letting too many things languish - hooray!

11 comments:

Chris said...

I love that colorway!! Such pretty socks.

Carol said...

They look MAH-velous!!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Nice - they look *perfect* to me!

Great name - the color looks like the ocean.

Lynn said...

Great socks!! And I'm with you on the beach; love to be there, but I spend most of my time under the umbrella. I used to bake in teh sun until I had skin cancer. Now I slather and enjoy from under the umbrella.

SissySees said...

That colorway is beautiful! Enjoy your Jays.

Mistrmi said...

It has never occurred to me to try a new technique on big needles/big yarn. Thanks for the tip!!

Quilting Mama said...

What perfect socks for you! Congrats on finishing them.

Lisa said...

Mermaid feet!

Brigitte said...

LOL, I love that episode of Seinfeld!

So, are they toe-up socks?

La Tejedora said...

I stopped by to check out your ten on tuesday but found knitting instead and got sidetracked. I'll have to keep and eye on your blog.

Dianne said...

Nice beach socks - the colorway is perfect. I love Avalon, too.