25 July 2009

Nope, You Can't Put a Price on This Kind of Help ...

You may remember that back in May, I posted about a completed knitting project, the Silk Kerchief. I had hoped to get a picture of myself wearing it, but between massive amounts of cloudy, rainy days, and few times when The Tim was home at the same time that I was, it never happened. Then once it actually turned summer-y, the idea of even putting it around my neck for five minutes seemed equivalent to torture.

So maybe in the fall, if I think of it, I'll give you an "action" shot.

But I did want to share the information below with you. Of course, once I finished the knitting, I pinned it for blocking on the bed in the guest room. I closed the door, so that it would be left alone. One day, when The Tim went in to find something in the closet, he turned around to leave the room and found that one member of the family felt that the whole process needed something else.

And so without further ado, I give you Jetsam's Tips for Blocking Your Knitting Projects:

Step 1: Jump onto project and stand, kneading with your paws for a while. This will make the yarn "blossom" even more.

Step 2: Find a good position where you are basically covering the entire project while resting on it. Take the time to really get comfortable.

Step 3: Settle in, and relax. This way, you get some much-needed rest, the maximum amount of cat hair is deposited on/in the knitting, and it's just a matter of time until the entire blocking process is complete.

When you break it down, the whole thing is really quite simple, you know? I was lucky, I didn't have to try and find an outside expert to help me with blocking. No, I saved lots of $$, being fortunate enough to have in-house assistance.

It seemed only fair to share this information with you - I mean, why should I be the only one who benefits??

You can thank me later.

13 comments:

Carol said...

And I bet there is no extra charge for the attractive sprinkling of cat hair all over it, right? What a bargain!

SissySees said...

That's why I block on the guest room bed, with a big production of shutting doors and excluding dogs...

yoko said...

Love Jetsam's expression in the 2nd photo!

Brigitte said...

Yeah. And did you know that the heavier the cat, the better blocked the piece will be? Just sayin'.

Chris said...

Also, the more contrast there is between the color of the cat and the project, the better the blocking experience.

Marie said...

Jetsam is especially fetching lying on your knitting. All cats are adorable, even when they're doing something they shouldn't.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- Don't ever put pins in the cat. Jetsam wouldn't appreciate it.

Lynn said...

Isn't it amazing how *helpful* our cats can be?!!? LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing Step Two also involves yelling out, "I've got this!!"

Joan said...

I have the very same helpful blocker at my house in just the same shade of gray, but without the fetching contrast of white. At 20 lbs he does a very good job of flattening errant stitches, stretching out the lace and leaving a nice halo of fluff. Aren't we fortunate?

MRS MJW said...

Love those stripes.

Kathleen Dames said...

Riley usually adds Step 2A: Poof as much loose fur onto the project as you settle in.

Sorry for the late comment, but bloglines has apparently not checked your feed all month. Gah!

Glad to see the "wee" beastie is helping you out.

craftivore said...

LOL!! I miss having kitties, it's annoying and endearing how they always are in the middle of whatever you're trying to do.