10 Headlines From the Year You Were Born
1. January 16 - Egyptian leader Gamal Abdel Nasser vows to reconquer Palestine.
2. February 23 - Norma Jean Mortenson legally changes her name to Marilyn Monroe.
3. March 15 - the Broadway musical "My Fair Lady" opens in New York City.
4. April 27 - Heavyweight boxing champion Rocky Marciano retires without losing a professional match.
5. June 29 - President Dwight Eisenhower signs The Federal Highway Act, creating the Interstate Highway System.
6. September 9 - Elvis Presley appears on "The Ed Sullivan Show" for the first time.
7. October 29 - "The Huntley-Brinkley Report" debuts on NBC.
8. November 3 - "The Wizard of Oz" makes its TV debut on CBS.
9. The Nobel Peace Prize is not awarded.
10. March 14 - I am born (this was likely a headline in my family!), thus making this blog post possible.
(Yeah, I'm old. But I'm just glad that there were no headlines from my birth year like "Humans Discover Fire" ...)