02 October 2015

Slow Fashion October

Hello there on a dreary, chilly, very rainy Friday at the beginning of October.  It was so windy today, my poor umbrella died.  Thank goodness I was on my way home, so I could get here, warm up, and put on dry clothes!

But it's all fine with me, because October is one of my favorite months.  To me, it means that fall is actually arriving, and is the beginning of the Anticipation Season, with Halloween at the end of the month.

For a year or so, I've been reading the Fringe Association blog.  I was made aware of it by Kate Gagnon Osborn and Courtney Kelley, who are friends of mine, but also the driving forces behind Kelbourne Woolens.  They mentioned it on their blog, and I've been reading along ever since.

As of yesterday, October 1, Karen (blog owner and mind behind it all) started Slow Fashion October.  The details are here, and the idea really appeals to me.  I like that it's an "official" thing, but there are no requirements to do x amount of things, but rather at a minimum to be conscious of our clothes, and where they come from, what they mean, and who makes them.  So I've decided to take part, and you might wish to as well.

The prompt for Week 1 is YOU, and participants are asked to talk about themselves.  So here is my contribution.

I have been knitting for about 20 years.  Prior to that, I did a small amount of sewing (and still do), and knew how to needlepoint and do counted cross-stitch.  I still love both of those things, but knitting is what I do most of all.  My mother was of the first generation where clothing was relatively affordable off-the-rack at stores, and she saw no reason to make her own clothes, or anyone else's.  So other than hemming and sewing on buttons, she didn't do anything else crafty to pass along.  Towards the end of her life, when she was confined to a wheelchair, her cousin taught her counted cross-stitch, and all of us have lovely things that she made for us.

My oldest sister taught me basic sewing after she learned in a Home Ec class in high school.  A couple of years ago, I learned how to quilt and I love that as well, but as I said, knitting is the constant activity for me.

I have already been considering my clothes, after reading articles about how/where things are made, and lamenting our desire for cheap products, since none of us has a lot of money to throw around.  I have also been reading Marie Kondo's book, and want to use some of her principles with my own closet.  I do believe from personal experience that well-made things are a good investment.  I often do not have the money to buy them, so I try to be more thoughtful now whenever I buy anything.

I think my goals for Slow Fashion October will be somewhat modest, but hopefully attainable:  I would like to finish one item already underway to wear by the end of the month, and I would like to complete a hat (which one has not been decided) by the end of the month.

Right now, I have a couple of in-progress choices, and haven't chosen a particular one, but I have narrowed it down between two things: a shawl and a sweater.  I want to get an idea of what else is going on for me this month before committing, so I don't frustrate myself on something that I am doing because I want to enjoy it.

What about you?  Have you ever participated before?  Are you thinking of participating this year?  Let me know!

*****

Just a quick peek at something I *finally* finished earlier this week, which took way longer than they should have.  They will have their own post soon, but here's the first look:


Have a lovely weekend, and for those of us either in Hurricane Joaquin's path or who will feel the tail end of his wrath, stay safe and dry!

5 comments:

Araignee said...

Wowie, wow, wow....I love those socks!!!! I've tried to get my hands on yarn like that but I'm always too late and it's gone.

As for the sewing thing, I have stored up a stash of material to make myself some simple house dress type things to romp around in but never find the time to make them. I have made LOTS of aprons which I live in. All my store bought (Fresh Produce) shifts are in rags so I'm going to have to make the time to clothe myself or break down and buy some hideous muumuu things. I prefer comfy longish dresses to go about my day in and if you are my age the only ones out there are made to make you look like a circus tent.

kathy b said...

Yes stay safe! I love your summery sock finish

Anonymous said...

One of the feeder bands from Joaquin came through here tonight and dumped a lot of rain. Of course, I didn't expect it and my umbrella was safe and dry in the car. LOL

The watermelon socks are adorable.

I'm headed over to that blog to see what the Slow Clothes is all about. :-)

Have a great weekend.

Kym said...

Lovely socks -- they'll be a wonderful reminder of summer days during the cold months ahead.

Love the Slow Fashion concept. I've become more conscious of the contents of my closet over the last couple of years, and I've been busy paring down and tuning in. I learned to sew when I was quite young, and used to sew most of my own clothes (I had fun designing my own "looks" when I was still a teen). I still sew now and again -- but it's usually more utilitarian sewing (curtains, pillows, tote bags, aprons). Maybe I'll try to sew something for myself this month!

Lorette said...

Looks like you've already made a clothing item for October! My mom was an avid seamstress, mostly out of necessity. I had sporadically sewed clothing until the mid 80's. I had a dress all cut out ready to sew, left it on the dining room table while I went to work. I came home to find the the cat peed on it. I threw the whole mess away, put the sewing machine in the closet, and that was it. I took it as a sign.