19 July 2019

To The Moon!

It was really really late on a weekend, and my parents, my sister Mary Ellen, the cat, the dog and I were sitting in the dark with the television on ("We'll see it all better if the lights are out," my dad said.  Also, my sister Nancy was married and living in Maryland, so she and her husband were watching their TV at their apartment.) 

Why?  Because of this:


DO YOU SEE THAT???  IT'S FROM THE MOON!!!!  TV from the moon!

I remember all of this so very clearly, not just because it was so exciting, but because it was also the last time we would (mostly) all be together for something so wonderful.  Just days before, the astronauts had taken off, on their way to the moon.  THE MOON - unbelievable!


Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Buzz Aldrin - look at them, so young!  Of course, as a kid, I was well aware that things could go wrong, but everyone was just so incredibly excited.  As an adult, I cannot even imagine how not just they felt, but their families!  I mean, how would you feel if you knew that a family member was going on a trip and not only might not come back, but could just be lost in the universe?  That still blows my mind.

Anyway, back to that evening, July 20, 1969.  Ever since we heard the astronauts say, "The lunar module has landed," everyone was holding their breath.  Because even though we were seeing it, was it really possible that people had actually landed on the moon and would be walking on it??  It was almost too much to comprehend.

And then it actually happened!


OMG you could SEE it happening right when it did!!  Amazing.  From that moment on, Neil Armstrong was the one everyone wanted to meet.  Shortly after, he was joined by Buzz Aldrin, and they placed an American flag on the moon.


Do you remember this?  The black-and-white, blurry yet completely clear images of one of the most amazing feats ever?  I remember my dad saying, "This is one of the greatest things we will ever see."  And you know, I think - at least for me, in my lifetime - he was right.  When I see these images, I'm right back in our living room, not knowing if it's OK to breathe in case something goes wrong.  Thinking that there would probably never be anything as exciting as that moment, ever.  

The moon.  Where Ralph Kramden was always threatening to send Alice.  Where, when you were little, you were told a man lived and would sometimes wink at you.  Was it in fact made of cheese?  How could we have possibly gone to the moon when it was so far away?  

Thinking about all of this today is bittersweet for me.  The images seemed only a tiny bit blurry at the time, but of course these days, people would be up in arms if that was as well as we got to see anything, much less such a momentous event!  My father was the one besides me who was the most excited and we had both been talking about it ad nauseum for weeks.  I'm pretty sure my mother and sister were excited too, but mostly looking forward to us finally talking about something else.  I'm also pretty sure the cat and dog didn't really care.  ;-)

Four months and three days later, my father died.  I remember thinking that at least he got to see a man walk on the moon, and that maybe on his heavenly journey, he would go past it himself, and it would make him happy.

It's weird the way memories work.  It's amazing we went to the moon.  And tomorrow, on the actual anniversary of when it happened, I hope that my parents are together, remembering it the same way - or maybe even better - than I am.

Have a lovely weekend.

12 comments:

Nance said...

I remember it all so clearly as well. Some people were saying that they could vaporize the minute they left the space capsule. I was almost afraid to look. We had our lights off, too, so we could all see better. It was so astonishing.

I miss my dad, too, especially when big moments occur. We always had Big Talks about such things.

Vera said...

Good memories Bridget. I remember watching too! And we talked of it for days afterwards as well...

AsKatKnits said...

I too remember this so clearly! I was 9 years old and I was entirely enthralled!

Bonny said...

My memories of the moon landing are also tied to those of my father. We watched the blurry black and white shots on the TV in my parents' room (also in the dark), and he took about a hundred pictures of the TV. I'm pretty sure he said almost the same thing as your father did, and they were right.

Kim in Oregon said...

I remember trying to so hard to stay awake!

Araignee said...

I was 15 at the time and I can honestly say I don't remember it at all. I can remember The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I can remember JFK's assassination, the Watergate hearings and Woodstock but I can't explain why this didn't make it into my orbit. Weird.

Lorette said...

I remember it clearly as wel. We had a bunch of neighbors and family together crowded around a tiny TV, completely enthralled.

KSD said...

I remember it as well as almost anything that has happened in my life. Magnificent.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

What a lovely thought. To me, it's all still amazing!

Mereknits said...

I love this memory and I am so sorry you Dad passed so soon after this monumental event. I was five and do not remember it at all. I wish I did!

Lilly's Mom said...

You've brought back some wonderful memories. I remember sitting with my parents in the family room watching these same images. I wonder if the children of today would be so excited? Thank you for sharing. 🌛🌜

kathy b said...

Oh Bridget, you were so young when he died. Im so sorry.
I remember that night. We had our cousins over and we were all outside playing when we were called in to watch the TV. I had a horrible time trying to see and hear it all. But I do remember it as momentous and I do remember being very proud to be an American.