28 May 2020

In Which I Wonder and Rant

Hi all - Thank you for the kind comments about my Sousa Sock HO yesterday.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out, even if I was cursing it to the moon at the beginning! 

Today I will be spending two straight hours on Zoom calls, which means that I will likely need the rest of the day to recover, so I thought I'd join in on Three on Thursday now, while I still have a somewhat functional brain.  

Here are three things that have been in my brain lately, for no good reason.

1.  Why are there so many shades of pink that I like, and others that make me stabby?  For instance, Karen showed two knitting projects of hers that were in different shades of pink, pretty much at different levels of that color.  I found both of them beautiful.  But then other times I see pink and I ask myself  WTF with that color?  Maybe it has to do with certain shades being "representative" of girlishness?  I don't know, but I've thought about it way too much.  And now, possibly, so can you!

2.  Should I join Postcrossing?  I do enjoy getting real mail that is not a bill or a flyer.  And I do enjoy writing letters and post cards.  I go back and forth on this.  I could see it being like most things, where my interest ebbs and flows, and I'm not sure if that is fair to anyone else who has joined.

3.  What kind of person isn't somehow affected by knowing that over 100,000 Americans - plus thousands more worldwide - have died from Covid 19?  And I'm not just talking about You-Know-Who and his Band of Evil, I mean regular people who somehow think that going to the gym is more important.  Or those who are endlessly whining about having to cancel their vacations to Europe?  If I hear one more person say, "Well, I know a lot of people have died, and others are sick, but I had to ask for a refund for our trip to Spain, and it's the worst thing that has happened to us," I will scream.  Because really if that is the worst thing that has happened to you - now or EVER - good for you.  I realize people are sad and upset, but over 100,000+ people have died for no good reason.  Get over yourselves.  Geez.

OK, that rant is over (for now, at least).  To lighten things up before signing off, I'm sharing this that I saw yesterday on Facebook that made me laugh out loud.  I hope it will amuse you as well.

11 comments:

thehandwrittenthankyounote said...

Hi there...So one of the great things about Postcrossing is that it is organized in such a way that you need not worry about fairness, or letting anyone down. It's pretty much one-for-one. I've sent/received fewer than 50 cards in the past 18 months since I joined. And some people have over 1,000! The numbers stay remarkably balanced: when you send a card, your name is next up to receive a card. I went a good 6-8 mos without hopping on the site--I just had other things going on, and it slipped off my radar. Once quarantine hit, I had more time so got on the site and sent out a slew--and received just as many! You are right--it IS fun to get something other than business envelopes in your mailbox :)

Nance said...

You know how I feel about fb, but that comment was pure gold.

This pandemic has revealed people's true character. (Much like the last presidential election has.) And now, here we are. Hm.

Araignee said...

Yeah, seal that cave shut. I don't know what fresh hell we've fallen in but it's not the time. We've all known #ETTD but I guess we didn't realize it meant us.

Ellen D. said...

You are so correct about your rant #3. I do not understand either. Some people are too spoiled or self-centered, I guess. Thank goodness we have others that are caring and have empathy for others. Imagine how many more would be dead if we all hadn't stayed home and stayed safe! Yikes!

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

I had to laugh at #1. I'm not a fan of pink, never have been. And yet... I recently knit 4 pink things in a row, 3 of which were for me and I love them all AND, over the Memorial Day weekend, I ordered more pink yarn and 2 pink shirts and a pink skirt. I think the covid isolation has finally driven me completely over the edge. :)

Shirley said...

Good luck with your Zoom meetings and recovery!

Meditations in Motion said...

I have had almost exactly the same thoughts about Postcrossing as you. Please let us know what you decide. I am still on the fence.

I used to despise pink. Too girly. Now I love it. My favorite summer T-shirt is hot pink. I guess I am finally embracing my feminine side.

KSD said...

As much as I need information, watching news is extremely bad for my health. Too much ignorance and stupidity (and pride in the same) and too much lack of simple decency.

Dee said...

Oh darn .... for some reason I can't see the picture. Blogger drives me CRAZY!!! LOL

I don't get number 3 either. I heard some young twit on the TV say --- well, if you die, you die. It's not the dying that bothers me. It's the time from start of illness until you die. From watching my FIL ....it's pretty dang hellish.

kathy b said...

I agree with you. Sometimes I say COVID is a real shock to the privileged. Health, the great equalizer I always said when I was a nurse. People who live privileged lives, who never volunteer to help any organization, who have to brag about their trips......they think this is such an inconvenience. I am glad we are not living in our old neighborhood. It was full of stock brokers and bankers and people who only worried about their portfolios. I am much better out in the woods!

karen said...

I am not a fan of pink and yet I love both of my knitting projects, so go figure! I like 'dirty' colors. If you want a penpal, I would write to you if you would like!! Someone I follow on twitter asked if anyone wanted a letter, I said yes and now I have a penpal in MA. It's nice :)