04 May 2020

Picture-Perfect Weekend But Picture-less Post

Hello all - I hope you are all managing and taking care.  I also hope that even if you stayed home (and I hope you were able to!) that you had a good weekend.

Our weekend was overall very nice.  Both Saturday and Sunday were sunny, not-to-warm, and lovely days - TWO IN A ROW!  Amazing, and good for the soul. 

Saturday was bittersweet.  It would have been our sweet Jack's 4th birthday.  We did drink a toast in his honor on Saturday evening, and the kitties and Hamlet got some special treats to celebrate, but I would give all of it up if he could still be here with us.  But then I thought of all the love he was being sent and given, and it made me feel a tiny bit better. 

During the day, I spent some time trying to clean out and organize my yarn stash.  I don't have a huge stash, but I try to go through it on a regular basis and either trash or donate things I no longer want.  Each time I find things that I have no idea why I even considered keeping it the last time.  I was able to get it done, but realized that more pressing right now is to go through my pattern books, etc. and sort those.  So that will be my next stash-related project.  The Tim took a nap in the afternoon with the kitties, and Hamlet and I sat out in the garden and I read a book.  The right kind of day for Jack's birthday.

It was also the day that was supposed to be the trip to Maryland Sheep and Wool, and I kept thinking that it just figured that the weather was perfect - other years it's rainy, or too hot, or whatever, and this year when it had to be cancelled, it was of course perfect!

Yesterday Hamlet and I took a walk to two specific areas in our neighborhood that always pleases.  There are two, two-block areas separate from each other and not one right after the other that are just perfect.  They have houses on each side, and then instead of a road, there is a 'park' enclosed in wrought iron where people have created a garden.  It's pretty all year long, but since all of the flowers were coming out, yesterday was especially stunning!  There was one azalea bush in particular that was stellar.   And lots of people were sitting in front of their houses, kiddos were playing, and it was just plain nice.  Whenever we walk on either/all of these blocks, Hamlet is suddenly very peppy and happy on the walk.  😊

(For any movie buffs out there, one of the blocks was the one where the child character of Cole lived in the movie "The Sixth Sense.")

Inspired by that walk, we pulled out the daffodils in our front planter when we came home.  They did really well for about 4 years, and the last two years the green comes up, but no flowers.  So we pulled them up to become part of the larger universe.  I was very pleased to see that the asters that I had divided and planted in that planter had come up and looked very happy and are coming up nicely!  Next fall, I hope to divide them again and fill more of the planter with them.  They are native plants, and they are so pretty when they flower. 

Then for dinner, I tried a new recipe for a side dish, and it was a big success - oven baked salt and vinegar fries - YUM!  The recipe is not hard, but takes a bit of planning ahead.  Let me know if you would like me to share it.

Unfortunately, yesterday afternoon one of my very best friends contacted me to tell me that her mother was diagnosed last Thursday with Covid-19, and is deteriorating rapidly.  It breaks my heart for everyone concerned, and makes me even more irritated at those people who just can't be bothered to pay attention.  As someone posted on Twitter, "the wrong people are suffering through this time," and I think that's truer than it's ever been.  Anyway, please keep my friend's mother in your thoughts, prayers, hopes, whatever.  She and so many others need to know the universe (or hopefully most of it) is thinking of her.

On to the week.  I hope to get started with cleaning up the garden, working on more of my projects around the house, or just ... whatever I feel like.  I'm not gonna worry about it if I do nothing.

I hope your week is whatever you would like it to be.  Take care.

7 comments:

Kym said...

Sending all the good juju for your friend's mother. XO (And you're so right. Where is that Karma Wagon when we need it????) I'm so glad you were able to enjoy such a lovely weekend. We, too, had TWO glorious spring days IN A ROW. It was just wonderful. Here's to the start of a good week, Bridget. :-)

AsKatKnits said...

It was a gorgeous weekend (and I did to the tiniest bit of MDSW stash enhancement)

Here is to a week of more sunshine!

Nance said...

We here in NEO had two incredibly gorgeous days as well for our weekend, the more beautiful of the two falling on Sunday. That was especially lovely for me because it was my birthday. We spent it at the lakehouse, sitting on the dock in the sunshine, sharing a bottle of wine.

Your weekend sounds relaxing and enjoyable. I'm glad you honoured Jack (but of course you did!) on what would be a perfect day for him. Also nice was Hamlet's chance to be admired on his walk.

Sad news about your friend's mom. I will be sending positive thoughts out for her. My family member's COVID-19 test came back negative, thank heavens. The increased number of these idiotic protests infuriate me. I know you feel the same.

Araignee said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's mother. I'm also burned up by the deniers. Daughter's rink is being used as a makeshift morgue and I can't get that picture out of my head. I'd like all those who think that it's no worse than the flu to tell me all about the last time an ice rink was used to hold dead bodies for the flu. I want to knock some heads together.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Other than the bad news, that sound like a wonderful weekend. Here to many more to come!

Dee said...

Sounds like you had a near perfect weekend.

Spending time outside is definitely good for the soul and mind.

karen said...

sending prayers to your friend's mother. It's such a difficult time and the social distancing makes the stress a little more since we are social animals.