11 August 2021

Reading and Making and Sweating

Hello on a heat warning Wednesday here in Philadelphia.  Today the temperature is supposed to be 95 degrees (F), with a "feels like" temperature of 103 degrees.  And guess what?  I have to walk across town to get my picture taken - YAY!  Not.  I have an appointment at SEPTA headquarters to get my SEPTA Senior Pass.  Because of Covid, you have to have an appointment instead of non-Covid times when could just show up during their open hours.  Anyway, it's worth it because having that pass will mean I will not have to pay to take public transportation, which is a benefit to being a senior citizen.  I just hope that my photo for my pass doesn't make me look like a person who was doused in a shower before it was taken.  Because I'm sure I'll be soaked with sweat by the time I arrive.  I do have enough vanity to wish that would not be the case.  But not enough vanity to reschedule, since I made this appointment two months ago and today was the first availability.  

Life contains such tragedy, no?  😉

ANYWAY - today I'm joining Kat and others for Unraveled Wednesday, and I'm excited because it's been a while for me.  So let's just do it, shall we?

First up, what have I been knitting?  Well, I continue to work on my summer top, and I am "practicing" (poorly, so far) the crossed stitches for the Hipster Shawl.  But I do have a HO (half-finished object):


One shortie sock off the needles!  And the best thing is, the second sock is very close to having the foot complete, so I can move on to the toe and have an FO!  This is exciting for me, since a lot of my knitting has languished lately.  It's not that I don't enjoy the projects, I just haven't been that inspired to knit.  But this one should be finished in the next couple of days.

Reading-wise, I just finished this book last night:


It was an enjoyable cozy mystery, with some different types of things from the usual cozy.  

Finishing it is good timing, since I picked up this hold from the library yesterday:


This will be the first book of this author's for me, and I'm looking forward to it.  I always enjoy mysteries, but I've been particularly in the mood for them lately.  It was weird to pick up an actual book from the library, since I've been mostly reading library books through Overdrive during the pandemic.  When I got the notice to make an appointment to pick it up, I thought "You mean I actually have to *go* there??"  (Our public libraries are still not open for browsing, etc.  And now, thanks to the delta variant, it will still be a while. Thanks, non-vaxxers.)

Follow the link above  - it's always fun to see what others are reading and making!

8 comments:

Dee said...

We were thinking of coming into the city today, but changed plans when we saw the weather report. There is a coffee shop I want to try...Shot Tower. That will have to wait a bit for cooler weather.

We love having our SEPTA passes. We've certainly put them to good use.

The shortie is so cute. Good luck on #2!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I hope you survive your walk. I was out yesterday for about 20 minutes and I was soaked by the time I came in!
Sock is awesome!

Araignee said...

Woo hoo for the sock finish!
It is hot. Too darn hot. I hate hot.
Our library has curbside pickup and you can order a surprise bag in any genre. They do a really good job of picking out some interesting things though The Mister was not impressed. He keeps reading the same Patterson books over and over and complains about it when he discovers that's what he did. I suppose that's a perk of being old. You can't remember what you've seen or read so everything's new to a point.

Kim in Oregon said...

First, I love the sock.
Second, eager to hear your thought on the Horowitz book. I tried to read one of his but it didn't take.

Vera said...

The sock is cute! I haven't been inspired to knit much in this heat though. I've been reading all library books during the pandemic. Our library is open for browsing and has been for some time...but otherwise you can request books and they do curbside pickup too.

Caffeine Girl said...

Age should have some benefits. How did your photo turn out?
I haven't read that A Horowitz book, but I liked the one I did read (don't ask me which one it was).
The heat index here was 105 degrees yesterday. Never thought I'd see that in Wisconsin.

kathy b said...

Oh it will be worth it to ride free! I need to access my library, but I've been so busy with doctor appointments and gardens and knitting that I haven't taken more than 3 books out all summer.
I did listen to a great podcast yesterday. It was about Fred Rogers. Shoot, can't recall the name but i t you really want it i'll get it!!!

Kym said...

It is sauna-hot-and-humid here, too . . . so I feel your pain at having to walk to get your photo taken. It's worth it, though, to get that free pass! (The benefits of Senior Citizenhood!) Love your sock; so cute. And I get in the mood for mysteries once in a while, too. I have read a few by Anthony Horowitz, and I generally like them. I'll be eager to hear what you think of this one. . .