16 February 2022

Very Little Knitting, Lots of Reading

Today I decided that I would participate in Unraveled Wednesday, with Kat and the others.  Because I do have a tiny bit of knitting to show, and I have been really busy reading.

I haven't knit for a while, for two reasons.  Emotionally, I've wanted to knit, but have not had the energy or strong desire to pay attention. But the real thing is physical - my right shoulder has really been giving me a lot of pain.  It's probably arthritis (frankly, I hope it's just that), but to make certain, I'm going to the doctor this coming Monday to have it checked out.  Primarily, because of the ever-helpful comment from The Tim: "You should get it checked out, in case it's a rotator cuff injury, and you need surgery." I feel that is probably not going to be the case, but when he makes comments like that, it sorta freaks me out and I want to be sure what is happening!

Anyway. This past Sunday, I decided to give knitting a try, and pulled out my Cozy Squares of Memory blanket.  It's been a long time since I worked on it, partly due to other projects I wanted to finish, and also because I don't work on it at all during the summer heat.  But I thought I'd try a couple of squares and see how things went.


The two squares on the right side - the stripey blue and the solid blue - were added.  Since they are small and do not take a lot of time, I thought this was a good test of whether or not *any* knitting would aggravate my shoulder, or if that just happened when I knit for long periods.  The good news is that my shoulder didn't kill me for the rest of the day, but the bad news is that it did hurt and I was more than aware of it, even after using a lidocaine cream and taking a couple of Tylenol.  So we'll see what the doctor thinks and/or recommends next Monday.

I've been reading A LOT since I haven't been doing as much knitting.  A mix of cozy mysteries and easy reads as well as more involved things.  Right now, I've started two books:


This is a loan from the library.  I'm maybe a third through it, and it's both interesting and sad, since you know what happens to the people you are "meeting" through the author.


This one is my reading-during-lunch book at work.  It's both fascinating and disturbing.  But so far a really good read!

*****

In other news, nothing much is going on with us.  We brought our boy home on Monday.💔💕  The kitties are, I think, even more confused than they already were.  They keep sniffing and rubbing the box with his ashes, and then looking at us and crying.  But we're glad he is back with us.  

Pip had his 11th birthday on Monday, with treats and a new catnip toy.  He was quite pleased with it all.  Milo the Koodle got a catnip toy for Valentine's Day, so there were no arguments involved.  The Tim and I had some birthday cake to celebrate, so all the way around it worked out ...

Work continues to get worse, with pretty much no help from our HR department.  I have been applying for any type of jobs right and left, hoping some poor sap will actually decide to ask me for an interview, but needless to say, nothing is happening so far.  Apparently I have too many skills for unskilled jobs, and am too old for others.  But I continue to hope that the aforementioned poor sap shows up soon!

That's it for now.  I hope you are having a decent kind of day.

10 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

Holding a positive thought for the job search. Glad that Hamlet is 'home' and that his memory eases some of the pain.

Araignee said...

I am so sorry to hear about your shoulder. I went through that a few years ago and it was terribly painful. Mine turned out to be bursitis which made me feel about 100 years old. The only thing they did for it was tell me not to do any heavy overhead work-as if.

Kym said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your shoulder pain, Bridget. I hope the doctor is able to both enlighten you about its cause AND . . . make it go away (quickly and easily). Please be gentle with yourself. (And I'm crossing my fingers for a new job for you soon; one that is, at least, palatable.) XO

Jane said...

Take care of your shoulder. I hope it doesn't need surgery. The blanket looks cozy and full of yarny memories.

kathy b said...

wishing you the perfect job. It just hasn't found you yet. sad how the cats rub the ash box..............but bittersweet

sprite said...

See if your library has a job service that can help review your resume for the new way software scans them. Those of us on the older side are often getting it wrong and so are being excluded by the tech.

Nance said...

This is a difficult time for you and I'm so sorry, Bridget. It's all very unfair. You are overdue for something happy and wonderful, and I hope it finds you very, very soon.

Caffeine Girl said...

I am so sorry about your shoulder. My mother has torn rotator cuffs, so I can tell you that surgery is not the only option. PT and OT can be really helpful. I do a have friend who had shoulder surgery around 60, and it went really well for her.

I am equally sorry about your troubles at work. In my 42 years in the workforce, I had plenty of bad bosses and bad employers. I also feel like the work culture in America has deteriorated over those four decades. The demands are too high and the conditions are too rough. It was totally worth leaving my beloved neighborhood to be able to retire early.

karen said...

I hope you get a new job that brings you joy! yes, you better get it checked out and I hope whatever it is that is bothering your shoulder has an easy fix and recovery!

Bonny said...

Sending good thoughts that your shoulder pain is due to something simple and easily fixed. John also likes to suggest worst case scenarios. I may be thinking about these myself but that doesn't mean I want to hear it out loud from someone else. I'm also sending good job-seeking thoughts and a virtual hug that your memories can begin to help ease your pain.