25 February 2022

What I Learned in February

At the end of January, one of the blogs I read (apologies, I don't remember the specific one!) had a post called, "What I Learned in January" and I thought it was an interesting idea.  So even though February has three days left, I was in the mood to write a post today and decided on this topic.  Rest assured that if between now and the end of Monday, I learn anything astonishing, I will share it with you, OK?

1. I learned about the Foundling Hospital in London, founded by Thomas Coram.


First of all, the term foundling - at least in England - didn't mean what I thought it meant, or at least what it meant here.  The place has since closed, but if you read this book, you will learn more than you ever knew there was to know about it:


Geez.  Anyway, the place is now closed, and they have a museum where you can tour around and learn about its history and well, it's a lot.

2.  I learned - for better or for worse - that my severe shoulder pain is just plain old, miserable arthritis.  The dr told me to get back to exercising it, and to take Tylenol (I can't take aspirin or Aleve or any of those) to help with the pain.  She said if it doesn't improve, maybe a round of steroids will help.  One the one hand (one the on shoulder??) I'm glad it's nothing more serious, but on the other hand, arthritis sucks.  Oh well.

3.  I have finally realized (for approximately the 50th time over the course of my life) that in spite of the fact that I have tried very hard to grow out my hair, and have even (gasp!) spent time in the morning trying to style it ("trying" being the operative word here), that longer hair is not for me.  I got a great cut that last three times from the stylist I go to, but I am truly unwilling to spend time getting it to look OK.  And frankly, in my case, since my hair is very fine, straight, and limp, it doesn't do me any favors when it is longer.  I think I look more haggard (granted, these days I would look haggard anway, but not the point).  I don't mind having to dry it in the cold weather, because the warm air blowing on my head feels nice, but it's a lot of work and effort in the morning before work that gives me very little payoff.  So next Tuesday, I'm going back to my short cut, which I do like, and now realize is probably just more suited to my efforts and abilities overall.  Best to stick with what works, as long as it's something you like, right?

4. Though you hear and read everywhere that companies are DYING for workers, they are apparently managing just fine when the applicants are older.  Because as I think I have mentioned here, I have applied for both skilled and unskilled jobs, and have not even gotten a nibble.  Which was one thing when I thought it was just me.  But in the last week or so, five different people I know - all between the ages of 55 and 68 - have told me they are having the same experience. And all of them have a much more grounded background than I do.  Now I know some of you will point out that ageism is illegal, and yes, it is and should be.  But sadly, lots of things are illegal, but still happen because they can be explained away in other terms.  The only thing that is good about this is that I now feel that it isn't just me having this issue.  (For the record, we're all still trying anyway.)

5. A group of porcupines is called a Prickle of Porcupines.  And a group of hyenas is called a Cackle of Hyenas.  Learning these two facts has pleased me way more than it should.

6.  Sleeping with Pip next to you is cuddly; sleeping with Milo the Koodle next to you results in a scratched eyelid (!) when you don't get up the very second he wants you to get up and feed him.  And a scratch on your eyelid is no treat, trust me. 

7. I am hopelessly behind on some things.  I mean really behind.  I had a serious I-Can't-Do-Anything-Because-I-Have-No-Will-Or-Energy attack towards the end of last summer which lasted until early December.  Then I was proud of myself because I got a lot accomplished during December and for most of January.  Then things happened and I slid downward again, and over the last few days was reminded of things that should have happened months ago.  (Kim, thinking of you especially - oy.)  It's time to try and pull some things together, which will also make me feel good for having done so.

And I'm sure there are other things, but these come immediately to mind.  Did you learn anything in February that you'd like to share?

I hope all of you have a good weekend.  We have no specific plans, but I am hoping to do some baking, which I enjoy especially when it's cold outside.  And it's supposed to be cold this weekend, so hopefully everything will align properly. 😊

Take care, everyone!

9 comments:

Dee said...

I've learned that hope springs eternal in terms of growing out my hair. LOL

I just can't come to grips with paying $60+ every six weeks.

Kim in Oregon said...

Hair. I have been searching for the perfect cut my entire life. Mine also doesn't look good long.

On the job front: my Tim finished his PhD at 58 and did not get any nibbles on the jobs he applied for, even though he has three masters degrees plus the phd plus years of really strong experience. He has a post doc he likes but he can relate to everything you are talking about.

Hang in there!

Araignee said...

I am so sorry to hear about your shoulder. Mine was bursitis with calcium deposits and I'm not even supposed to ever exercise it. I'm down with a bout of it right now thanks to lifting all those floor planks this week.
I follow a food writer on Twitter and she rants about ageism in hiring all the time. Since she reached a certain age she can't get a job anywhere. I never really thought about it because in teaching this was never a problem. No matter how old you are they will drag you into a classroom until they have to carry you out feet first.

kayT said...

I just have to ask what your idea of foundling was as well as "what it meant here". As far as I can see, the definition of foundling is identical in American English and British English: a child left in a public place so that it can be found. So I am curious!

KSD said...

Yeah. I Learned in February that even when you think you've lost all energy and hope, those needles can drop under "E."

Ellen D. said...

Sounds like you have been going through a bit of a sad patch. Hope you perk up and find the fun in life again. Maybe if Spring ever gets here, that will help.
I learned in February that I am too old to care for my young grandsons for 2 weeks. It was too much and not as enjoyable as I had hoped.

Nance said...

Are any of us ever, ever satisfied--truly--with our hair? I've had my blog since 2005, and I've been writing about my hair in it with astonishing regularity. I understand your angst completely. And I think you look terrific in your short haircut; it suits you.

And I also share your #7 experience all over the place. I call it Generalized Malaise. I have so many things I could/should be doing, and I have Zero Motivation or Energy. Every night, I plan to do Things, and every morning it all muddles and becomes another day of Not Doing It.

Hang in there, Bridget. You are NOT alone.

karen said...

I would hope it is not ageism and maybe they have no one to go through the applications?? Praying you get a new job!! If you like short hair you like short hair - why fight what it is what you want :)

Kym said...

I have heard similar stories from "old friends" (ahem) looking for new jobs. I'm sorry that this is your current experience, as well. And you can count me as another passenger on the "Generalized Malaise" train (love that term; it is perfect). As for hair? It's always best to go with what works for YOU. You look great with your short hair -- and the fact that it's easy for you makes it even better. XOXO