11 May 2023

Just Say No

And I don't mean Nancy Reagan's drug crusade here. I'm talking about telling yourself "no" when you are tempted to say things that well, you maybe should have considered just a bit longer.

For example - at the yarn store, you can call and make an appt for a private lesson if you feel that you need it. It can really be for anything - maybe you don't know how/don't remember how to cast on, or maybe you have been making a pattern that is asking for short rows and you've never done them before. It costs $36.00, and you get someone's undivided attention and help for an hour. Which seems like a good deal, if you ask me.

Tuesday, I had one scheduled for someone who wanted to learn how to weave in the ends on their project. Most people who come in for lessons are nice, and grateful that you can teach them something they didn't know before and they can take their time learning how to do it with someone right there. Then there are those like the Tuesday Lady. Oy.

She was close to the end of knitting a scarf and had used multiple balls of yarn, so she had several ends to work with. But before that, she wanted to know "how long a scarf should be." I asked her if she was using a specific pattern, because the pattern would tell you. But no, she had a moss stitch pattern that she was repeating. So I said, "Well, the one answer is that it can be as long as you want it to be, or as long as the amount of yarn you have to knit it." To which she responded, "How long is that?" Sigh.

So I said, "Some patterns have you knit until the scarf is 60 inches long" (because one pattern I have knit long ago suggested that), and she wanted to measure what she had. What she had done so far turned out to be 59 inches, so she had another inch to go. She then said, "Will you do that for me?" and I told her no, but I'd be happy to sit while she did it. (Spoiler alert: She was not pleased with that answer.)

Then we moved on to weaving in the ends. I showed her how to do it with two ends, and then said she should give it a try. She said she didn't know how, so I showed her once again. It should be noted I had gone very slowly, explaining each movement. Then I said she should try it. She did one, and it was fine, but she then declared she didn't like doing it. I told her she wasn't alone, it was a part of a project that a lot of knitters didn't like. So then she said, "Then you should do them all." I said I'd show her one more time, and then she absolutely had to do the others. Which she did, and they were fine, and she bitched about it the whole time, because she didn't want to do it. 

Then she proceeded to knit another inch to finish the scarf, and she bound off and said that she "couldn't possibly weave in that last end, it was just too much." But I refused to do it for her (this is supposed to be to teach YOU how to do it), and she was not pleased. Then she handed it to me, and said, "You need to block this now for me so that I can give it to the recipient." I told her that we did block things for people, but it was not free and was done with the understanding that it would be done when staff members had the time to do it, and that we charged for the service.  It may not surprise you to learn that she was not pleased. Apparently a store where she used to live was "full-service." You went in and said what you wanted to make, they helped you choose yarn, took your measurements and wrote up a pattern, you knit the pieces, took them back to the store and they seamed, blocked, and finished them, and you "ended up with something really beautiful." Good for them, you know?

Finally, she kept asking me if I could recommend someone in her area who could help teach her more about knitting, and find a knitting group. She lives in a far away suburb (a very wealthy one) that I have heard of, but don't even really have a clear idea where it is on the map. So I said, I wasn't familiar with the area at all, but I know that a lot of public libraries have classes or provide spaces for knitting groups to knit, so she should look into that. And she responded:

"I'm NOT going to a public library. I HATE libraries. They let anyone in who wants to come in, and no decent people go to libraries."


At which point, I told her that I had spent my adult life working in libraries first as support staff, and later as a librarian, so I had no more ideas to share with her.

Now. At this point, the average person *might* have said, "Oh, I didn't mean all libraries," or "Oh I'm sorry if I offended you," or some other thing that you knew they didn't mean but they were saying because they were embarrassed. 

What did this lady say? "I'm not surprised. Only someone who had worked in libraries would make me do all of this myself."

And this my friends, is why it's a damn good thing that my parents taught me manners, and that I was in a professional setting and knew I had to behave as a civil adult.

But oh, she has paid for it all in my imagination, let me tell you! 😉


[Editorial note: I "made" her weave in 8 ends and knit 1 inch herself to finish the scarf. And then I guess "made" her have to block it herself.]

14 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sheesh-- what an entitled knitter! Why is she even bothering to knit at all?! And good for you for sticking to your guns, and staying polite at the same time (that would have been quite a challenge for me).

wildmag said...

I'd say I'm speechless, but actually I'm not, I just can't publish those sort of words here... :-) Hopefully, she never comes back!

Vera said...

Hahahahaha I am laughing so hard...but I am sure you were not during the entire episode. Congratulations on remaining calm, cool and collected. I'm sure I would not have...

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Ohh.Emm.Gee.
You nasty, nasty librarian. How could you????
That poor rich lady. The agony she must be in. You are so cruel You should really go back to your dirty library with the rest of the scum, and wallow in the the indecency.

I wonder how she even managed to knit 59 inches with that attitude.

Karen in PA said...

This woman is not alone… we used to have such a “full service” yarn store in this area many years ago, and for years when our store opened people would come in and bemoan its demise. Those folks would write you a pattern sew your garment together, finish the ends, and LINE IT, complete with bound button holes. Everyone got the same sweater, though!

Our position has always been, “we will teach you to do it yourself, we will not do it for you.” When one of my co-workers said she would take on repairs and finishing, she was quickly overwhelmed and had to stop. I get not liking the finishing, but hey, it’s not rocket science and doesn’t take long.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is “ God Bless You”. The things that she said about libraries told me all I needed to know about the kind of person she is. Kudos for being a good person. The older I get the less inclined I am to keep my mouth shut.

sprite said...

Yikes! Good for you for keeping your composure!

Dee said...

Oh ...MY...GOD!

Seriously????

Oh, by the way. I'm Dee and I'm indecent (as in, I go to libraries). Yeah..........that's me, an indecent person in the world of Main Liners.

Kim in Oregon said...

Oh my gosh! People!

I had one today at the Community Center. Someone (we'll call her Patty) drove up to do a quick check on something getting installed and left their car in front of the front door. The car was blocking the ballot drop box we have at the Center but someone could park and walk four steps to get to the box. Anyway, while Patty was checking out the installation, a woman came in the center and said to me rudely "Whose car is that?" I said "It's Patty's, she's in the other room." The woman rudely said "tell her to move the car. It's blocking the ballot drop box." Now, the woman was clearly not incapacitated and she had her ballot in her hand. I said "I'll tell her, and you are welcome to just walk over there and drop it in the box." I would guess this would have been a total of six steps, even walking around the horrible car.

As you would say, she did not like that answer.

"No. I'm not doing that. This is a drive up box, and I'm driving up to deliver my ballot. Get them to move the car. Now. " And then she stomped out.

Of course Patty moved her car, and I was telling everyone there the story and they all ran out to look at who it was and see if they knew her. No one did.

People.

Araignee said...

Congratulations on keeping your cool. I think I would have faked a medical emergency and shown her the door.

Roslyn said...

Oh my. I'm gobsmacked!
I worked in a yarn store for a while and we often got the "how long do I make a scarf?" question, and I always thought it was odd. The answer is, of course, as you told this 'lady' - "as long as you want it to be".

I was always surprised at the number of people who didn't seem to realize you could make adjustments to patterns as you knit them. "I don't want that pattern because the sleeves are too short". Patience was definitely required.

But, the comments about the library are just, wow! Kudo's to you for not kicking her out!

I do not miss retail work!

Nance said...

What an ill-mannered, entitled snot. I'm surprised she didn't hire a serf to knit for her.

andrea rules said...

omg i can't. what in the world.

also the previous shop she went to sounds like it would be exhausting to work at but i also wonder if they really did those services or just did them for her cause it would be easier. i wonder if the shop still exists, with all that free time consuming labor it seems like it would have closed by now.

KSD said...

I'm very proud of you.