29 September 2023

FO Friday: A Musselburgh for Forte

Hello there! Sorry to disappear, this week got way ahead of me and I realized that this is the only time I will have posted. But I'm fine, as I said, just a little bit too busy with mostly annoying things.

Anyway, I have a finished object to share with you:


I'm pretty sure you all know what this pattern is, since I've already made a couple - along with sooo many other people on Ravelry, and I'm sure plenty more who don't use Ravelry!


Project: A Musselburgh for Forte
Pattern: Musselburgh, by Ysolda Teague
Yarns: Lorna's Laces Solemate, in the colorway Charcoal; and, Onyx Fiber Arts Merino Fingering, in the colorway Sybil
Needles: US size 3
Modifications: None

Notes: Though this pattern is fiddly and annoying to start, once you get past the beginning, it's a good knit. I've already made two of these for other nieces' husbands, and this year was another partner's turn. I do think if I knit this in only one yarn, it would be incredibly boring, but I've always used two different yarns, which keeps it interesting, and provides the possibility of four different hats!


I know that the others have been big hits as gifts, so why re-invent the wheel, you know? At this rate, there will be one left to be made next year, and then everyone in that group of the family will have a spouse/partner who received a Musselburgh. 😊


(The other day, I asked The Tim to let me know if he ever decided he wanted one. He said I already made him one. I haven't. But who am I to argue?)

The yarns used this time around were both from my stash, so I'm especially happy about that. Granted, I only used about half of the amount in each skein, but that means I'll get something out of the remainders, or they can be used to swap or give away. Win-win!

Anyway, this is the third out of four knitted gifts for this particular family. I have a pair of fingerless mitts to make for a fourteen-year-old boy, and then my holiday knitting (other than for The Tim) will be completed! Unless of course I decide to make something for someone else, which could happen, but if it does I still have plenty of time to get it done.

*****
Not much else is going on. This week was a series of dr appts,  errands that I'd delayed too long, and things like that, so my days off were pretty well taken up with those. Thankfully, today I have nothing going on, except putting some towels in the washing machine and then the dryer and putting them away. Dinner will be leftovers, so no big project there. It's a gloomy, rainy day here, so perfect for being able to just stay in the house and do whatever I feel like doing. YAY!

And that's all the news from here. I hope you have a lovely weekend, and get the chance to relax and take a breath. October starts on Sunday, and you know what that means:


Here we go!

7 comments:

Dee said...

It certainly IS a good day to stay inside and do ............well, whatever.

I'll be knitting and drinking tea. (I'm giving up coffee/espresso. Wish me luck.)

Kym said...

The Musselburgh is a GREAT hat -- to knit (well, except for that fiddly bit at the start) AND to wear. It's a perfect watch-tv-and-knit hat (well, except for that fiddly bit at the start). That one looks great, Bridget, and will be a most welcome gift! XO

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The hat looks amazing!!!

Araignee said...

Congrats on the finish! I was one of those who found that pattern too fiddly. I hate increases in general but especially with that weight yarn and small needles. I switched to some very pointy lace type needles and it made a huge difference.

karen said...

A lovely hat and a pattern I want to knit but have not as of yet!

Kim in Oregon said...

Great job on the hat! I really like the colors. I've faked the start because it is so fiddly and it works pretty well ( I just use Jthe cast-on for toe up socks).

KSD said...

Do you think Musselburgh could be knit on straight needles? I'd like to try one.