16 November 2023

Gifty-Gift Time

Hello and Happy Thursday! I hope the week has treated you well. Mine started out questionably - I woke up on Monday with a UTI, grrrr - but fortunately my doctor sent me a prescription right away, and by Tuesday afternoon I was feeling much better. Which is a good thing, because I had a lot I wanted to accomplish this week.

As I mentioned, The Tim's birthday is almost here - it's this coming Saturday, to be exact.  Of course we always celebrate, though the down side for him is that it marks the beginning of a four-month period where we are the same age, and he hates being "old" like me. 😏

And as you know, I have a pair of Christmas socks that I knit to give to him. But about a month ago, he said to me one day, "You have been extremely generous this year for my birthday, thank you." And I responded that I was happy I was so generous, and maybe he could tell me what I'd done that was so wonderful. He then informed me that I had bought two tickets for us to see "Sweeney Todd" on Broadway on his birthday! (Let me tell you, once I saw the invoice, I was shocked at how generous I had been. But you only live once, etc., and I was benefitting from this gift as well, so ...) I also have a t-shirt that the cats will give him, and who knows if I'll find some other little thing on my outing today when I go to a dr appt? 

So, yes, I would say he will be having a lovely birthday and birthday weekend. But it got me thinking about how this is the time of year for gifts, and I do love making gifts for people and finding things that I think they will really enjoy. I'm lucky that way, because I don't find the holiday season to be a chore. I have quite a few things I've collected and made along the way already, but yesterday I decided to actually poke around and make a list of what I already had. Then yesterday in the mail, I got a catalog from Uncommon Goods, which I *think* I've heard of, but I don't know why. Anyway, there was something there that I immediately decided would be good for one of my nieces and her husband. I showed it to The Tim, and he said, "Order that now." Here's the link to what they are receiving, and I'm ridiculously pleased to have found it. My niece will find it amusing, if not slightly "inappopropriate," and her husband's inner 10-year-old boy will enjoy it on a whole other level. Sometimes you just get lucky with what you find, you know?

How about you? Are you a person who loves choosing and giving gifts? Granted, I only give gifts to a very select group of people, so I never am in a situation where I suddenly have to buy something for someone I barely know or have never met. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much, because it's not a chore for me. I think I just like the idea of finding something that a person might really like, or that I know they would like but may not be expecting to receive. 

Am I the only one who is happy that it's "gifty-gift time?" Let me know!

6 comments:

Vera said...

Ha! We have that mug - also the "Rude Plants" mug. Mailing sent them both to us! They are great. There are also dish towels in the pattern. Enjoy the play!

Araignee said...

If there was a prize for the world's worst gift giver it would be me. I still cringe at the thought of some the the horrors I've inflicted upon others.

KSD said...

No, no, no --- you are not the only one. I love picking gifts out and wrapping them. My therapist says my love language is gifts. I have to agree.

Kim in Oregon said...

I think I tend to see gift selection as a chore--a rather nice chore, compared to say cleaning the toilet--but it is still a chore. I think I've always been disappointed by gifts I've received and there's a part of me that keeps hoping for the 'perfect' gift to be given to me sometime and thus I always want to give the perfect gift too, just in case.

It's my Tim's birthday on Monday, he's getting a corn hole set. He will be very happy, but it's no Sweeney Todd!

Kym said...

I really love giving gifts. Especially when they are completely unexpected by the receiver. And what a fabulous birthday Tim is going to have!!! (Also. That mug is absolutely perfect.) XO

WendyKnits said...

It is YOUR FAULT that I just spent $80 at Uncommon Goods!