28 April 2011

Plenty o' Nuthin'

Life as well as my brain seems scattered at the moment, so this post will consist of things that have popped into my brain recently that of course are so magnificent, I would hate for you to miss them ...

One thing I can say that is certain and true.  Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words about Doughboy.  I plan to forward the link to his family, so they can see how much of a fan club Doughboy had that they didn't even know about!  I'm sure if he was here, he'd be wagging his tail, and possibly drooling on everyone who was paying him attention.  Truly though, I appreciate that you took the time to leave a comment.

Easter weekend was quiet, pleasant, and enjoyable.  The Tim took some good pictures of the kitties enjoying themselves, which you do realize will be in a post of their own, right?

The weekend before last, Andrea, who is my Sunday co-worker at Rosie's, showed me this pattern, which she really wants to knit.  So of course I became obsessed with it.  And the week before, someone had bought some of this yarn for  a gift, which is a yarn I hadn't paid much attention to before; but I decided I should look for a project for it.  (This is of course of the utmost importance, given that I have no yarn, no patterns, and nothing in progress at the moment.  I'm sure you understand).  In the end, I bought the pattern, some of the yarn in a beautiful turquoise color, and plan to cast on tonight. 

Then I also realized that everything I am currently knitting is in some shade of blue.  Not a total surprise, but it meant I had to pull out some other yarn to wind and start a pair of socks ... I blame Andrea for all of this.  Because like most things, it can't possibly be MY fault ...

If I had money, one of the things I would do is go back to school and study social history.  Since I don't have money, I like to find things that I can read/learn/do that are related.  So imagine my excitement and happiness when I found this after the link was shared by a Facebook friend.  Social history and Food history - plus, I have always wanted to work for the New York Public Library. (HA!)  Seriously, when I was finishing library school, I was offered a job there, which I would have loved to take, but I knew we couldn't afford to move there based on my salary alone.  The Tim said I should take it and just commute back and forth, since "it wouldn't be hard."  No - not for him, but I just wasn't too tempted by commuting back and forth from DC to NYC every day ... (he often offers this kind of "helpful" advice, by the way)

Anyway.

Yesterday, it was 85 degrees here in Philadelphia.  And it was 82 degrees in my office.  That was also after they turned on the air conditioning in the building.  Granted, my office is always between 80 and 82 degrees, which sucks even in the most freezing winter - but you'd think there would be a few reasonable days before summer sets in.  I've been telling myself it's all a fluke, and spring-like weather will return soon.  Then at least outside will feel nice.

Our boss has been out for the whole week, but will be returning on Friday.  So far, lots of people have been coming in to the library, all of us have gotten a ton of work done, and nothing that has cropped up has been so incredibly important that everyone has to drop what they are doing.  Would you believe that we're all happy little campers too?  And actually dreading Friday???

For a three-legged cat, Pip moves faster and more frequently than anyone else in the household.  I think I've mentioned that he has two speeds - FAST and zonked out.  It's usually just a blur of orange going past you ...

The Tim and I are having a little party for just the two of us on Friday evening, to celebrate that the Royal Wedding will be over.  I wish them well, etc., but will be so glad not to have to hear how Prince William will be arranging his nose hairs for the big day or whatever.  This morning, one of the morning news shows was talking to a British reporter, who said, "Once Friday is over, Kate's purpose is breeding and not much else."  Who of us wouldn't love that sentiment?

Don't say that I didn't warn you that this post was plenty.  And nothing.

9 comments:

andrea said...

always my fault? hah!

I am also looking forward to the end of the Royal Wedding nonsense.

Jenn said...

The breeding comment made me ill, and then the phrase "heir and a spare" finished me off. Do they HAVE to make her sound like livestock?

I have to say that I'm intrigued by the whole thing, having been too young for the Diana and Charles wedding, but enough is enough.

Maureen said...

Indeed! It will be nice to go online or open a newspaper and NOT have their smiling faces staring back. Like you, I wish them years of wedded bliss, but enough already!

Anonymous said...

Know the sadness over Doughboy lingers, but I'm glad to see your sense of humor is still intact. Enjoy your So Glad It's Done party.

Anonymous said...

What a remarkably ignorant comment. What is anyone's purpose, except to be the best person they can be and contribute to the betterment of what we so loosely call civilization.

Carrie#K said...

Blue is a lovely calming color for projects. Narragansett should be gorgeous in blue! Now measure you and your sweater while you're working on it. It's the only real way to keep it in the realm of fitting.

Ah. How lovely and romantic to have your purpose in life stated so clearly. /boggles. (But I did watch the wedding at 3 am last night!)

mary said...

Hope you had a pleasant party last evening. You might have celebrated a little too soon as it's still all over the news this morning :)

I was interested in the dress and hearing how the lace was made was very interesting to me. I liked the dress very much but Pippa stole the show.

Lorraine said...

Bridget- These thoughts are all valid.

I watched the highlights of the wedding, and felt it was very classy and understated. I wonder how Kate feels about such terrible remarks?

Kathleen Dames said...

Narragansett is such a great pattern. Thea comes up with such great designs - enjoy!