09 April 2011

When Worlds Collide

If you have been reading this blog for a while (and really, you should have been!), you may recall that I was employed as a tour guide at Eastern State Penitentiary during the 2009 season.  I really loved that job - it was perfect for someone like me, a social history/political science geek, who loves to read.  Plus, it was a fascinating place to be, both for the history and the architecture, as well as for the chance to people-watch.

Since January 2010, I have been working at the Academy of Natural Sciences, in the library.  And one of the people I've met while there, who has become a good friend, is Greg Cowper, one of the entomologists.  Though insects still make me itchy to think about, knowing Greg has also made me realize that they are interesting, and often quite beautiful.  And he is amused by the fact that I am often worried about any given [live] insect injecting me with its venom and thereby killing me.  (This comes from watching too many movies and TV shows where such things happen.)

So, where am I going with all of this?  Well, every year, Eastern State chooses some new art installations for the site, and this year, Greg Cowper's project made the cut!  Greg's project involves the collection of insects he has found on the site, and he managed to find some really great things (and because they are dead, no worries about injecting venom!).  

That could be considered When Worlds Collide, Part One.  Because, believe it or not, there's another one!

The entire reason I started this blog a few years ago, was to talk about knitting and knitting-related things.  However, because I love to write, and because I am a slow knitter, it soon became about anything else I felt like writing about.  I still, though, refer to it as "my knitting blog." 

Ready for When Worlds Collide Part Two?  Well it also turns out that one of the art installations this year has to do with knitting - I mean, really, what are the chances?  A local knitter, Karen Schmidt, has knitted a "cell cozy" for one of the cells at Eastern State.  You heard me, a cell cozy - check it out here.  I have never met her, but I "know" some of her patterns.  And, as it turns out, I know her husband ... Greg (see above)!

To summarize, here's what we have: Eastern State + Academy of Natural Sciences + Greg + knitting + Karen Schmidt being married to Greg = quite possibly the most ridiculous collision of worlds that has happened (at least to me) for a long time.

Having said that - no matter why you go, just GO.  Eastern State is an amazing place, and so interesting that you will not believe you have never visited before.  Being able to enjoy these two new art installations, as well as all of the other ones, will just be icing on the cake.

And who knows, you may find a world collision all your own ...

**oh, and you should visit the Academy of Natural Sciences, too - no knitting exhibits (at least not right now), but LOTS of other great stuff to see and do!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Clearly, the planets were aligned that day. . .

Entomologist is one of the roughly 27 majors Hannah has considered since entering college.

SissySees said...

It's a small world after all...

But isn't it fun when lives intersect like that?

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Too bizarre!!! But then some might say that prison is the perfect place to display creepy insects so how perfect is that?

Can a knitting class for the prisoners be far behind?

knitseashore said...

Cue foreboding music...

Carrie#K said...

That is just a too cool worlds colliding happening! Kismet.

Inky077 said...

Maybe this has to do with so many paranormal experiences happening at Eastern State lol. You may have already addressed this elsewhere in your blog (I'm a newbie), but did you run into any paranormal things while working?