03 October 2012

Wednesday Word (First in an Occasional Series)

I read quite a few knitting blogs, and have also started perusing the occasional quilting blog.  It seems that a lot of the knitters have "WIP Wednesday" posts, where they show progress on one project or another.  I enjoy those posts, because most of the time, they are moving along at a fairly reasonable pace.

I considered doing that on occasion, but realized that so many of my WIPs stagnate for so long, I could be showing the same photo with the caption "No further progress" every week for weeks on end.  Plus, many of my projects exist only on the "someday" level, meaning I have not even bought yarn and/or the actual pattern!

So I have decided that I will post every now and then - sometimes weekly, sometimes not - a "Wednesday Word" post, where I will maybe share WIPs, but where I will write about whatever is taking up residence in my brain that "needs" to leave it and be written.

Here's my first Wednesday Word:  WANT TO.**

As in, there are so many things I want to knit right now.  I'm working on plenty of things, but geez, do I want to start some other things!  I keep thinking to myself that because I have so much yarn, I should really start making more things.  Which would be fine, except that for me it becomes a slippery slope to feeling overwhelmed by too many projects.  (Here's just one example of a Want To knit.)

How to deal with this?  I have decided that I will try to concentrate on things I already hope to make for others as gifts for the rest of the year.  I will not pressure myself into thinking I must make gifts for every single person, but rather will work with the ideas for a few things that I've already been considering for a couple of months.  Hopefully, this will get the whole I-want-to-start-something impulse under control.

It can't hurt, right?

**Yes, I realize there are two words there.  Work with me here, people!

2 comments:

garret said...

I hate the impulse of wanting to start something. Usually, the conversation that follows in my head is something like this,

Me: I want to knit.

Mind: Okay, well, what do you want to knit?

Then I look around at all the less than insipring knitting around me, and think, "I want to knit something fun."

That's one of the great things about the Zimmermann project, there is always something to knit. A never ending well of inspiration and possiblities. And variety.

There are no sock though. I'm just pointing that out. Conviently, all I want to knit is socks. Probably related somehow.

Mereknits said...

I want to knit so many things my head spins. And right now I am knitting a garter stitch sweater that never seems to make any progress. I think that once you work with yarn your imagination goes wild at the possibilities. This year I am not making a thing for anyone as a gift. I did last year, actually went wild making crochet cowls, this year is about me, and I am really thrilled about it. Now if I could just knit faster I would get a lot more done!
Hugs,
Meredith