02 March 2020

Drowning My Sorrows

Hello there!  March is underway, and at least for today the sun is shining, so that's all good news (even if it's supposed to rain again tomorrow.  Seriously).  I had a "good enough" weekend, meaning that it was actually just fine, but it took me nearly the whole time to get over the week at work, so to speak.  Suffice it to say that things are not going well, and individuals are being picked on - truly - by our new museum CEO, who we have decided is trying to get people to quit so he doesn't have to "restructure" more of us out of our jobs.  Like everything else in life, it all piles up and then something small really makes it magnified.  Which was what happened on Friday.

So my "good enough" weekend was spent drowning my sorrows and trying to move along and leave work at work.  This is usually not a problem, but last week made it a bit more difficult than usual.

Originally, I thought I had a haircut appt on Saturday morning.  When I called to double-check the time, I learned that no, said appt was in fact on Friday after work!  (Glad I called to check.)  On the plus side, this meant that I really did have Saturday free, which was nice.  

Saturday afternoon to get started on drowning my sorrows, I finally baked some scones I'd been wanting to make since I saw the recipe.  They turned out to be really simple to make, and wow were they yummy!  Here are my chocolate chip and cranberry scones:


In the recipe, they directed you to make 12 wedges, but I made 8 because we like one more substantial scone as opposed to maybe 2 smaller ones at one time.  They turned out really well, and were especially nice with a pot of tea while watching an old movie.  The Tim reminded me that we have some frozen blueberries in the freezer from last summer, so next time I may substitute those - blueberry scones would be good also, don't you think?  (Spoiler alert: If you ask me, all scones taste good, but that might just be my opinion.)

Sunday, The Tim had to work as usual, so I first drowned my sorrows by paying some bills.  Well, actually, that did nothing for my sorrows, it just gave me different ones!  ;-)  Then I decided that not much else was going to be accomplished, so I turned to knitting.  It's been too long since I worked on my scrappy blanket, so I pulled it out and added some squares, which was extremely pleasing.  My MO is to knit six squares before weaving in ends (don't ask my why, it makes sense to me).  Here's how it looks after yesterday:


And here are the six "new" squares - three from about a month ago, three from yesterday.


This project always pleases me because it's so cheery, but also finishing even just a single square feels like an accomplishment.  I know it will likely take forever to get something even lap-sized at the rate I'm going, but I don't care because I enjoy working on it so very much.  

I also cast on the pair of socks I'm making for March as part of a KAL with my friend Andrea.  No photos, because a) I forgot to take any, and b) I only have some of the cuff done anyway, so there is not that much to see.  

My last "drowing my sorrows" thing was that I decided to give myself a manicure and paint my nails.  I don't remember how or why, but last summer I watched a You Tube video where a woman showed how she successfully paints her nails - meaning that her fingers are not covered with as much nail polish as her fingernails are.  I tried her "system" and it was really successful, which was pleasing.  Of course, I was using a light color - something tells me that if I'd used any other shade, it would not have gone well.  Because that is how life works, right?  ;-)

So eventually I got there, and felt mostly better.  I gave myself a pep talk last night when I went to bed, and so far this morning I'm surviving just fine.  Hopefully that can last, we'll see.

Here's to a decent week for all of us.  Happy March!

9 comments:

Nance said...

Don't you hate how your job cuts into your free time? Even when you're not there, it takes up space in your head. Grrr.

I haven't knitted a single thing in months. It's like all my interest and care just fell out of me when I fell in November. Maybe I'll pull out my scrappy blanket and see if that gets me going again.

I really hope things even out for you at work. It's hell to be miserable in your job.

Araignee said...

Oh, dear. I know just what you are going through at work. When our new principal came on board she did the same thing to us. She wanted to transfer over her old loyal staff and made life miserable for those of us from the old administration. It worked. I retired and most of my friends transferred out. Daughter is going through the same thing at her ice rink. The new manager is picking on the old skating staff so she can rehire her own people. Daughter's a fighter though unlike me who ran. If I had just hung on one more year I would have survived. That mean old principal left for another school and took all her nasty friends with her.

AsKatKnits said...

I am glad you had a good weekend (despite work) but honestly...don't scones make everything better??

:)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Sorry things at work aren't going great. Mercury is in retrograde until the 10th, which is probably not helping.
Your scrap blanket makes me want to start another one - they are so much fun!

Shirley said...

Those scones do look yummy! With all that butter, sugar, chocolate, etc., it almost is a sure thing. (I guess you could burn them.) Love your blanket and what history it will have with pieces of your various projects. Sending wishes for an exceptionally pleasant week at work!

Helen said...

I love making scones. Only started a few years ago, but the substitutions for the 'flavor' ingredient(s) are endless. Yes, cranberries and blueberries. Almond slices, orange juice instead of milk (as I had no milk/cream and I did have oj) dried cherries... I usually take them to a weekly group meeting as my husband is not into sweets and I don't need the whole batch. lol

Kym said...

Those scones look DIVINE! I love cranberries and chocolate together, so those would be right up my alley! What is it with new museum directors????? I am involved (as a volunteer) with a museum here, and . . . well . . . the same thing is happening. The staff are miserable, and leaving in droves. I hate to see it happen here, and I'm so sorry you're going through that, too. Sending you hugs over the web. XOXO

Vera said...

So sorry work is such a slog for you. Hoping things even out shortly. The scones look absolutely delicious!

Jeannie Gray Knits said...

Hope things get better for you at work. Having a bad work environment can make like pretty miserable!
Love the blanket. I'm thinking about starting a new scrappy blanket but can't decide what pattern to knit. I like mitered square ones but I've knit quite a few and well, haven't even woven in the ends from the last two so.... Maybe something else is in order.