04 March 2020

I'm Gonna Q & A With Kathy Today

Kathy used to host a Q & A on her blog every week, and then decided that rather than make it something that she *had* to do, she would throw one out there every once in a while.  Some of the time I have already decided to write or have written about something else, or the questions aren't things I really can answer for one reason or another.  But today I decided to take a stab at it, so here you go.

Do you prefer to knit with bigger needles or smaller needles?

I like smaller needles in general.  I'm always knitting a pair of socks, usually on size 1US needles,  so there's that, but anytime I've used bigger needles (say, larger than a 10US), I have found that I need to limit my knitting time, since my hands start to hurt.

Do you like to have a bulky knit or crochet going with a sock at the same time to alternate weights?

I generally don't knit anything bulky.  Mostly because I try to knit from stash (no bulky stashed), and also because I'm really picky about the bulky things I actually like well enough to knit.  I do however, usually have a sock, something else (shawl, sweater, hat, etc.) going at the same time at a minimum to change it up.  When I have a stitching project, that goes into the mix as well.

Do you have a pattern that can be a bookmark or shawl?

I doubt it.  I do have a lace bookmark pattern.  I also have shawl patterns that if I was inclined, I might be able to take elements of and make a bookmark.  But I'm not big on doing that kind of thing to be honest.  I kinda/sorta like all of the work to be done for me by the designer.

Do you think leaves are the easiest object to work into a project or are you a feather and fan person?

See above answer regarding the "work into a project" aspect of things.  I like leaf designs and I like feather and fan.  But, to repeat myself, I knit them if they are in the design, I seldom add anything.

Do you like to read books about places you have been to visit?

I do.  I also love to read about places I would like to visit, even if it seems unlikely to happen.

Do you know an author?

I know several academics who have written books.  I know a few people who have written short stories/articles/essays that have been published, so that counts.

Do you know a pattern author?

Actually, I know a lot of them!  For whatever reason, Philadelphia has MANY knitting/crochet pattern authors, and most of them worked at our late-lamented LYS Rosie's, so they were co-workers and friends as well.  And then I have some friends who have written a patterns that are on Ravelry, even if pattern-writing is not their main activity.

Do you wish you could write like someone?  Who?

I adore writing.  There are so many people whose writing talent and voice I would love to have that I really can't name one individual.  Most of the time, it depends on what I am currently reading. :-)

Do you plan months ahead for a local person or within an hours drive, for a get together?

A lot of time time I do.  This is largely because most of my friends lead lives that are much busier and scheduled with things than mine.  Also, since I don't drive,** I have to plan how to get where I'm going if I'm the one traveling to meet up.

(**I can drive, I just hate to drive, and therefore have let my license lapse for many many years.  I have a state ID instead.  So sue me.)

Do you like a text, Hey we are at such and such, want to join in?

OK, so besides being a freakazoid who doesn't drive, I also don't have a cell phone, so I can't get texts.  Having said that, 99% of the time, I don't like getting phone calls/e-mails/DMs like that, for two main reasons.  First, I am an introvert who likes to know ahead of time if I have to go out into the world and "do people."  Secondly, I look forward to my free time ridiculously and like to do my own thing.  When it's someone I rarely get to see, that's another story, but most people who know me in real life are either the same way as I am, or "get it."

And there you go.  Whether or not you really care.  :-)

I hope you have a good day.  This cartoon from Mutts makes me laugh every time I think about it.

4 comments:

Araignee said...

I hate driving too. When my time comes my kids won't have to work very hard to get me to give up my license. I had to wrestle Dad for his. I also hate phone calls. Unless it's an emergency don't call me. I am not the chit chat type. The only good thing about my new smart phone is the speaker feature. I can knit and spin while I listen to people droning on and on and on........

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Don't apologize for not enjoying driving. I personally love to drive (though I HATE traffic), but I think our world would be a much better (ie cleaner) place if more people were like you and chose NOT to drive.
I try to do that whenever I can. I'd much rather take the train to Toronto (an hour drive away) - sure, it costs more and takes longer.. but if things are planned well, it's a heck of a lot less stressful. I've been driving to class just because it ends late, but I actually miss taking the bus to it. However, taking the bus home means I get home around midnight instead of 10 pm. Man... that makes me want to get into my rant about better transit systems... but of course, that means people have to get out of their cars and use it... and they won't use it until it's better... chicken...egg....
Anyway - I say good on you for not driving!!!

I am also like you on joining in. I REALLY, REALLY like my me time. So much so that I have to get myself in the right mindset to be with people, which means planning in advance. No last minute texts to join in for me!

Kym said...

Okay. That comic! I'll be chuckling all day. . .

Nance said...

I hate talking on the phone for the most part. I prefer email and text. My son Jared likes the video call. Sigh. It's my nightmare, really, but at least it's not someone other than family.

And after 30 years of teaching in a huge urban public high school, I like my quiet Me Time. I get you 100%. I don't think I could go without a cell phone, but I do resent how it makes me completely accessible.

You have a good day, too!