13 March 2020

Friday the 13th TGIF


Ah yes, Groucho understood how it works.  :-)

I have always liked Friday the 13th (the day, not the movies) - I'm not sure if it's because of my contrary nature, or that I love black cats (or any cats, let's face it), or I just enjoy other people feeling uncomfortable (OK, admittedly that does always amuse me).  But in any case, today is Friday the 13th of March, and though it started out rainy in Philadelphia, the sun is supposed to appear this afternoon.  

In the ever-present world of coronavirus updates, an event I was really looking forward to enjoying next week has been cancelled.  The Free Library of Philadelphia Author Series had scheduled a talk by Hilary Mantel and signed copies of her new book, and we had bought tickets a few months ago.  It was cancelled yesterday, which is truly disappointing but understandable.  

A few of you commented on my post yesterday that if I couldn't work from home, at least I could get some knitting and reading done.  Which is a lovely thought, but I would come into work anyway, since the deal is that if you can't work from home and don't come into work, you don't get paid.  And I need to get paid, so that's that!  For now, the place is still open, so we'll see what does or does not happen.

However, I had already planned long ago to take a few days off next week, partly because my niece and her husband were going to come up from Baltimore for the now-cancelled book talk.  I am not cancelling my days off though because they were approved long ago and in some ways, I'm looking forward to them even more now ...

Moving along - let's do a TGIF, shall we?

Thinking about - how people in charge of things can be so mercenary and cruel.  With so much going on and so many people having trouble anyway, the addition of cancelled work and school puts many in a true bind.  Not everyone has a large savings account to rely on, or the ability to telecommute when they don't even have a home computer.  Some people say, "Go to the library," but even libraries have to limit computer times for individuals in the interests of fairness.  It seems so many businesses are only worried about the bottom line, not their employees.  And at least in Philadelphia, all schools have not [yet] closed because for a lot of the kids, the only meals they get on any given day are those they get at school.  But at least there are already plans to help bail out banks, so our priorities are straight, right???

Grateful for - working on the assumption that I will indeed wake up tomorrow morning and be able to live my life, I am grateful that I will have made it to my 64th birthday.  Not only that, but for the most part, I am doing well and functioning in life.  That is the true gift.  I plan to enjoy it all, even if this is not the happiest of times in the world.  

Impressed by - the individuals who are going out of their way to help not just their friends and neighbors, but complete strangers.  I read a thread on Twitter yesterday about a woman who was walking into a grocery store, and heard someone calling her.  An elderly man and woman were in their car, afraid to go into the store because they were already not in the best of health, but they needed some basics.  The elderly woman asked the other one if she would mind picking some things up for them, gave her $100 and a shopping list.  The woman not only picked up their groceries, but gave them their $100 back because, "if you can't help a neighbor, who will help you when you need it?"

Feeling - introspective.  I am by nature a rather introspective person, but especially as the years go by and I reach another birthday.  Are there things that I wish I could have done?  You bet!  Do I wish I had done some things differently?  Of course.  But you know what?  At my age, my father had already been dead for 11 years, and my mother was in the throes of her decline in health and ability.  I need to remember that living a good life is an accomplishment, whether anyone else knows or cares.  

Here's hoping you have a lovely weekend.  Ours will involve CAKE (I can never convince The Tim that I should have a birthday cake and a birthday pie for Pi Day), wine, kitty cuddles, and probably lots of laughter.  Even when things are bad, life can be good.

Take care, everyone.

12 comments:

Araignee said...

Daughter's ice rink closed for two weeks and she gets no pay if she doesn't see her students. She's got a huge student loan debt to pay each month. I've been helping her with extra payments to pay it down which has never been an issue but HAVING to pay it for her is another thing. Someone needs to give these struggling kids a break. If they can bail out Wall Street, they should be able to help our kids and those out of work from this mess. She is also sick with a cough and lives in the area where 3 people tested positive. When she called her doctor yesterday he said he had no tests and her insurance company said if she wanted one it would cost her $3000. Really?

Nance said...

We've long eschewed birthday cakes in favour of birthday pies here at the Dept. Our local pie shop does three different sizes, and the small personal pies make it so each person can have his/her own favourite kind!

Love your mom's sayings. They're always something I've never heard before.

kayT said...

One good news thing, I saw this:
Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love is donating $100,000 to support employees at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse who won't be able to work as a result of cancellations due to the coronavirus.

I could not remember his name so had to look it up. Appropriate that his name is Love!

Bonny said...

Wishing you a Happy Birthday tomorrow! You deserve cake, pie, and if I'm really reaching for the stars — a better workplace. I hope you have a good day and a wonderful year ahead.

Dee said...

Happy birthday. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, get the cake AND the pie. You deserve it!

Shirley said...

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday tomorrow! I hope the year ahead is filled with much joy and happiness.

Vera said...

Happy Birthday Bridget - enjoy your weekend and a few days off next week! Love the grocery store story.

sprite said...

Happy early birthday, Bridget. I hope it's wonderful.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Happy, happy birthday!


Things are starting to close here. The schooled have closed for min. three weeks, including my evening French classes. I'm lucky that I already work from home, so not much will change for me, and I can still pay the bills. My big worry is that things will get really bad and it will completely tank the economy. I work for a Customs Broker so we are severely affected when that happens. But... one day day at a time, what will be, will be!

As you say, every day we wake up in decent health is a gift!

AsKatKnits said...

Happy Birthday!! I saw that story on Twitter as well...it warmed my hard-heart! I am hoping you are among the few actually going in to work! (and that you don't have to take public transportation, gah!) Stay well and have a glorious birthday weekend!

Mereknits said...

I am like you Bridget, no work no pay so I am going in as long as I can or unless the people I work with are sick. It is all so unnerving. Stay well.

kathy b said...

Fantastic Post Bridget!!!! Have a treat for me for your BIRTHDAY!