15 June 2020

There Were Grilled Brussels Sprouts

Yes, there were!  Now, I know that brussels sprouts are vegetables that have no gray area - you either love them or you hate them.  We love them, and the weekend breaking in of our new grill included grilled brussels sprouts and boy were they good!  The grill seems like it will be a perfect one for us, and I'm guessing we'll get our money's worth out of it easily before the summer is over.

Isn't it funny how childhood can or can not influence how you feel about food?  Growing up, brussels sprouts were a rare treat, because they must have cost more than most other vegetables, even if frozen.  So they only showed up occasionally, and it meant that whatever else we were having for dinner was raised a level, as it were.  Now of course, you can get fresh brussels sprouts pretty easily at a farmer's market, as well as still in the frozen section but I still think of them as a treat. 

It was a lovely weekend weather-wise and so I did my best to be outside when I could.  Hamlet got a lot of walks, and I spent hours each day in the garden reading and just enjoying that it was nice enough to be outside.  Yesterday, on our walk, we ran into my friend Lisa, the owner of Hidden River Yarns, and so I got a chance to sit and talk to her for a while when she was having her coffee and a bagel at a sidewalk cafe.  And that was really nice.  She just recently re-opened her shop, but only with limited hours and occupancy and 4 days a week.  So far, it's gone OK she said, and she said it's a whole lot easier than when she had to move all of her inventory to her apartment so she could still ship things online when nothing could be physically open!  Needless to say, she didn't do as well as she would have if the shop had been open, but she said online sales at least kept things going.  I was glad to hear that.

I finished my Down the Shore Shawl yesterday, and it is blocking as I write this.  Boy did that turn out to be a HUGE sucker!  I'll have an FO post sometime this week.

I have also been meaning to share this with all of you.  I know that a lot of people who read this blog participate in Summer Book Bingo.  Well, here's another type of bingo card that is particularly relevant right now.


Just thought I'd share, for any interested parties.

And I suppose that's all for today.  This week is supposed to be nice for the next few days, and then the 90s and humidity arrive, so I'm gonna try to enjoy the good stuff while I can.  I hope your week goes well!

9 comments:

Kym said...

LOVE the bingo card. Thanks for sharing it, Bridget. As for brussels sprouts . . . do you know I never had them until I was in my 40s? Obviously, my parents weren't fans. I love them, Tom hates them. So I get them in restaurants generally. I've never cooked them myself. (Because Tom.) ;-)

Vera said...

Veggies on the grill are the BEST!! We have a grill basket that we use to cook all kinds of veggies.

Araignee said...

We had some roasted sprouts the other night and it was such a treat. Any fresh fruit or veggie is a treat these days but grilled....that's heaven!!!

julia in KW said...

Hate Brussels sprouts! But I loved the bingo card...saved it for future reference!

Dee said...

I'm in the LOVE Brussels sprouts category. I'll have to try them on the grill.

kathy b said...

I passed the book list Bingo along to those I know will love it. Thank you

Nance said...

Thanks for a great resource. I've read a few on the bingo card already, and can recommend them, especially Between the World and Me by Coates.

And absolutely anything by Toni Morrison.

We had Brussels sprouts all the time growing up. My father loved them, so if he found them fresh, he got them. I developed more of a taste for them as I grew older, and I love them now. I remember being astonished when I discovered how they grew.

KSD said...

I like Brussels sprouts, too. My mother grew some one year, but only once. She was skeeved out by how the plants looked.

Meditations in Motion said...

We love Brussel sprouts too. I have roasted them in the oven but never grilled them before. I must give that a try. My hubby always says he never tasted fresh vegetables until he used to come to my house for dinner before we were married. My parents had a huge vegetable garden, so we always had fresh veggies.

Love the Bingo card! Thanks for sharing.