22 July 2020

Christmas in July - Week 4


It may not feel like Christmas, but it sure feels like July, right???

Regardless, it's time for Week 4 of:

Christmas in July!!!!

As I'm sure any previous winners have noticed, I have not yet mailed their packages.  I am hoping to get to it this week, and will send an e-mail when they are on their way, so you can be on the lookout.

Right now though, it's time to show you this week's prize in the giveaway.  I present to you a kit for the Annalise Wrap, from my LYS, Loop:

package front

package back

I won this kit a couple of years ago when they had a giveaway to celebrate an anniversary.  The kit contains a printed version of the pattern, as well as six skeins of Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM), enough to make the wrap.  The colors are lovely, and of course you could use them for whatever you like.  But I can tell you the wrap is truly pretty in person.  Please note that this is one single kit - I took two photos so you could get an idea of all of the colors of the yarn.

I have kept this kit, and have finally realized that you know what?  I'm never going to knit the wrap.  I like it, but there are things I like better that I hope to knit someday.  So I thought it would be a perfect prize for this week.  I've never opened the package, so there should be no worries regarding moths or weird odors, in case you were wondering.

Are you interested?  If so, let me know your answer to the question below.

What is the worst birthday/Christmas/other holiday gift you have ever received and why?  A Chia Pet?  A gift card to a restaurant not in your town?  Let me know!

Be sure to leave your comments on this post only, no later than 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 26.  Then it will be up to Ye Olde Randomme Numbber Genereightor to pick a winner, which will be announced on Monday, July 27.

******

In the never-ending saga this is this year, when my computer died, and our oven died, guess what kids?  Our bedroom air-conditioner died over the weekend!!  We do not have central air conditioning, but we did have an old unit in our bedroom that didn't work all that well, but kept some of the heat and humidity at bay.  Ugh.  This will be something that we likely will not be able to afford to replace this year, as it is a unit for a casement window, and those are fairly pricey, and require professional installation, which of course adds to the overall cost.  Granted, the unit that died is one we have had since we moved into our house eleventy billion years ago, and as I said, it wasn't working in an optimum fashion anyway.  We had not replaced it before, because again, money.  Sigh.  We'll live, but it's pretty miserable.  Neither of us grew up with air-conditioning and only one apartment we had ever had it already installed, so we know how to exist otherwise, but I have to admit that it would have been nice if it at least could have waited until mid-August to die, when in theory there would be fewer horrible heat and humidity days left. 

Oh well, who needs a good night's sleep anyway, you know?  😢

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry about your A/C. It is awful not being able to sleep. Most nights I don’t sleep well. Ah the golden years.... I was saying to my hubby on the weekend for us 2020 has just about sucked the life out of me. Seems we go from one sadness to the next. As for your question probably the worst Christmas gift I have gotten was a pair of teal dress pants and a red silk blouse. My mother. Now she would wear that. But seriously who would wear teal pants size 16? Not part I want to accentuate. And I’ve never worn or liked red in my life. Second worst gift was brown silk scarf from my mother in law. I hate brown. Everyone knows that. But I have a topper. My son in law got a filing cabinet for his 16th birthday. Who would ever think a 16 year old would want a filing cabinet. Lol
Try to get some sleep. Cool bath or showers help soothe me. Take care.
Cheryl

Araignee said...

I think the worst was a tub of dusting powder I got on my 16th. I know it was a re-gift from my grandmother because my mother was busy that year with my neighbor whose son had just died unexpectedly from pneumonia. The whole neighborhood was in shock and I felt very awkward that they were even making am attempt to remember my birthday. I would have preferred they had just forgot it that year.
This year I am looking forward to my birthday because younger son and his wife just announced last night that they are expecting and she is due ON MY BIRTHDAY! I know the chances are slim that it will arrive that day but it's just a few days before Christmas so anytime around it will be a reason to celebrate my new grandson. Bittersweet...because without a vaccine I won't be able to get my hands on the wee thing for a while.

Vera said...

It will be fun to see what people write for this question Bridget. I honestly can't think of a gift that was awful - possibly I've blocked any from my memory? Recently someone at work has given me gift cards to restaurants I don't like, but that honestly isn't horrible. I just give the cards to someone else. Sorry about your bedroom AC - that sucks at this time of year.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Well, there was the $5 birthday/christmas gift I received from my aunt... but I think the absolute worst was the worst was from my MIL. Dave and I had been together for a couple years by this point - so I was about 25.

His Mom LOVES to shop at garage sales. And while he always got $200 cash (or more) from her every Christmas, I usually (and almost always still do - 18 years later) got a baf of crap she bought at a garage sale.

It's not that money was tight and she couldn't afford to buy me something... she's loaded. That said, I'm pretty thrifty, and wouldn't mind garage sale gifts if it was crap I actually wanted/could use.

But it's usually an assortment of weird random stuff... crochet hooks (I don't crochet), a pattern for doing liquid lead painting, but without any supplies to actually do it, random knick knacks... you get the idea.

But that particular year really took the cake. It was a box of random "beauty" supplies.... mostly wrinkle creams... (as I said, I was about 25 at the time... not a wrinkle in sight). But the real kicker... they were all previously opened, and several of them had already been used!!!

My MIL's feeling about me have always been abundantly clear.


Nance said...

The worst gift I ever got was the year I was about 16. It was Christmas morning, and I opened a box from the pile of gifts with my name on it. I lifted out the most beautiful sweater I had ever seen: pale mint green with a band of pastel stripes at the bust. It was soft and cuddly. So gorgeous. Immediately, my mother said, "Nance, give that to Patti. I must have mixed up the tags last night when I was wrapping. That's not yours, it's Patti's." I had to hand that perfect sweater to my sister.


So sorry about your A/C, Bridget! That's just plain awful. I hope you can search Amazon or someplace for a small freestanding air conditioner. I think I've seen them in ads online. Fingers crossed that you stay cool somehow.

Dee said...

Sorry to hear about the air conditioning problem. UGH!

I think the worst present I got for Christmas was a wall mirror. I was eight.

I'm guessing my mom wanted to hang a fancy mirror in my room and since it was Christmas you might as well wrap it up and call it a gift.

Or maybe she figured if I saw what I looked like I'd comb my hair, wash my face and dress better. Who knows?

Caffeine Girl said...

We don't have air conditioning or a unit for our bedroom. We do have a ceiling fan. If you don't have one -- they are pretty affordable. With that, we have been able to sleep through all the heat waves.

Worst X-mas gift came from my wealther (former) SIL: It was a children's book about the planets. Clearly from the Border's clearance table. I was 30 and have no special interest in space!

Alison said...

Just joining in for the fun of it - I live in NZ so don't include me in the drawer.

The worst Christmas present I got was from my hubby (he was being very practical) and bought me an anchor for the new trailer yacht he was building!

It went well with the wet weather gear he gave me for my birthday.

julia in KW said...

How do appliances know? Argh! Worst gift was one that I asked for...a “knit-o-matic” machine. I was maybe 6 or 7 and it was all I wanted...my birthday and Christmas are side by side! Oh! Excitement and anticipation! Set it all up...run the the runner back and forward...wait it’s stuck! Dad! An hour later - run the runner back and forth...wait it’s stuck again...so went the day...I don’t think I ever saw it again after that one day! I was heartbroken! I sometimes wish I still had it to try now that I am so much more knowledgeable and patient - HA! A very memorable gift for the whole family!

kathy b said...

Oh Bridget. Losing the A/c mid summer is so tough! We would put the kids in their car seats and just drive in the cooling car for a bit. Otherwise we all got so grumpy. I'm sorry!
My worst gift was a black heart for a valentine in kindergarten! The lil neighbor boy who I thought LIKED me, Nicholas, sent me a BLACK heart. I had eye surgery and was home for Valentines day so the whole class sent me cut out hearts. I was so offended. LOL Maybe he just liked black!

Helen said...

Worst Christmas gift was one I didn't get. My ex asked me what I wanted for Christmas and for once I actually knew of something I wanted, a wood blockflute. So I told him. Christmas came, and I got some nice things (I don't remember what, lol) but no flute. When asked he said, well he wanted to surprise me so he decided not to get it. I'll tell you the first day that the music store was open I went down and bought the thing for myself. I still have the flute, I don't have that husband.

sprite said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry about your a/c. I know that problem all too well. Cold showers before bed help with sleep!

I don't know that it's a terrible present, but maybe a little weird/slightly inappropriate? My uncle gave Rudi and me a personal massager one Christmas. (I'd blocked it out, but Rudi remembered!)

sprite said...

Oh! And my first Christmas working, my boss was my Secret Santa and she gave me an ant farm!

WendyKnits said...

Ah, yes. Worst gift. When we were first married my now ex-husband gave me a ruler. Not even a yard-stick, just a 12-inch-long ruler. When asked why, he said "I thought we needed one."AND since my birthday is January 2, this gift was for Christmas AND my birthday.

The next year I got a set of steak knives. There is a reason why he is my EX-husband.

His mother, on the other hand, was a delightful woman who always gave me a separate gift on my birthday, and always something nice. I remember one year on my birthday she presented me with lovely high-end yarn I wanted for a sweater pattern I had shown her. It was wrapped in striped red, green, and white Christmas wrapping paper, and on every white stripe she had written in ballpoint pen: "birthday paper."

I miss her!