01 July 2020

Christmas in July 2020 - Week 1


In this year when we seem to especially need something fun, I am particularly happy to see the return of

Christmas in July!!!

and I hope you are as well. 

For anyone new here, or who just needs a reminder of how it all works, here are the details. 

Every Wednesday during July, I will make a post that will show a prize for that week.  In order to be eligible to win said prize, there will be a question or questions to answer, and the comment must be on the post for that week to be considered and must be posted in the comments no later than 11:59 p.m. on the following Sunday.  Winners will be announced on the Monday after.

So let's get started, shall we?

******

First up, here is the prize for Week 1:


Here we have a book that is really kind of a journal for your projects; it's geared towards knitting and crocheting but I'm guessing you could adapt it for your own needs.  Knit Notes : Explore * Design * Create, by Nadine Curtis is a handy item to keep track of things, and with things happening on Ravelry causing people to have migraines, etc., it may be time to use paper and pencil to do that.  I picked this up at the public library's book sale last summer.  It was a whopping $2.00, because the elastic that goes around it was broken off; it's been a year, and I have never picked it up again, so I decided that maybe one of you might want the chance to give it a good home.  What is hard to see in the photo due to my poor photographic skills is that in addition, there are some heart-shaped stitch markers that will come with it. 

Here is the question I would like you to answer to have a chance in the drawing:

What is one of the funniest stories you can remember from a holiday when you were a kid?  It doesn't have to be related to Christmas - it can be from Halloween, Purim, Arbor Day, July 4th - any holiday at all (though you can't say something like, "When I was 5, and my parents celebrated Ladybug Day ..." because even though Ladybug Day sounds awesome, I have never seen it on a calendar).

Please make sure that you leave your comments on this post only, no later than 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 5, 2020.  That way, I will be able to find the comments all in one place.  I will choose a winner through a random number generator and announce it on Monday, July 6, 2020.

******

And here it is, the first of July - what?  Philadelphia was supposed to move into the controlled Green Phase of activities reopening after the stay-at-home orders for Covid-19 this coming Friday, but due to spikes in cases, that is now delayed.  Not surprising, at least not to me, and personally, I'm glad they are working with an abundance of caution.  So Yellow Phase it will be, at least for a bit longer.

Wear a mask, people!!!!  It is seriously the minimum you can do for the rest of us.

7 comments:

Araignee said...

How about the time the cat piddled on all the presents under the tree and we didn't notice until we had opened and ate a box of barley candy pops? We had the pops in our mouth when my mom noticed the paper was all wet. We laugh about that every year.
Or maybe the time my mom cooked the turkey in my grandfather's foot pan by accident? I'll never forget the look on my grandmother's face when my mom pulled it out of the over. Good times.

Nance said...

Oh my goodness! I think Araignee has a couple of winning stories right there. Gross, but winning.

Cases are spiking a little bit here, too. We sure look like a bunch of idiots in the US, don't we?

Dee said...

I don't have a lot of funny stories from when I was a kid, but there was the one Thanksgiving when Harvey the cat helped himself to the turkey on the table while my mother was getting the rest of the food set out.

Well, we KIDS thought it was funny. My mother? Not so much.

KSD said...

I know the reasons people are hiding behind for not wearing masks, but I just don't get it at all.

Two things about my mother to set the stage for my answer. She was not a laugher. I can count on my two hands the moments in my life when I saw her genuinely tickled. She was also not one to sit still if there was something productive she could be doing. When Memorial and Labor Days would roll around, she used them as opportunities to clean out the refrigerator or wash and iron the kitchen curtains. One year, she was on a paint-and-spruce-up the rooms tear, and on Labor Day of that year, I deadpanned, "So what are we painting this time?" She actually chuckled. And re-told the story for years after.

Kim in Oregon said...

Everyone knows what candy corn are, right? Well, one day after Halloween I was enjoying candy corn in my own special way--taking out ten individual corns, then eating all the white parts, then all the orange parts, then all the brown parts. So I ate a bite of one and then went on to the next one. What can I say? I was a weird kid. Anyway, I was eating my candy corn and was about halfway through, and my brother snuck up behind me and grabbed all the half eaten candy corn and shoved it in his mouth. He thought I'd be furious but I was delighted to tell him he had just eaten my saliva-covered half eaten candy.

steph said...

i was an only child...so it was a big deal to visit cousins on holidays. We all got up early one Easter morning, only to have my youngest cousin announce to all 5 of us...you can't eat your candy because I licked it all, and it's covered with my cooties, so it's all MINE. This didn't bother me at all....she left my Easter basket alone, because it was full of black olives, cottage cheese, and cocktail onions. The Easter bunny knew me well; and I had never thought of my Easter haul as unusual until that Easter morning. (Boy, did Cousin Jane get a lickin' for her antics, though.)

A fun little trip down memory lane!

Minerva said...

Ok, here's my Christmas story. I grew up outside of Baltimore. We were neighbors with a family that had a father that was a big practical joker. He was an architect and had a building firm down in Baltimore. Every year, he would pull some sort of prank on my father at Christmas. One year, had demolished an old building down in the city for a rebuild. In the building was a huge clawfoot antique bathtub. He brought it home and on Christmas Eve in the middle of the night, he put it on our front porch with big red ribbon around it and a huge card that read "Merry Christmas Ben. From your pal Jerry" My father was left with this huge tub on our porch! I don't remember who removed it.